Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What about the other Fenders? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What about the other Fenders?

Post Thanks / Like

I had an old original mustang, great guitar but it always did have a tuning issue, that guitar taught me how to tweak on the fly.

It was faded orange with a blue stripe

just annother example of "I wish I still had it"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    Well,Speaking of other Fenders I happen to own a 1966 Coronado lll Wildwood l no one seems to have seen or know about at least not til my former bass guitarist spotted Jimmy Vaughn using one on a PBS channel giving tribute to Jerry Reed Friday.he thinks it was an Austin City Limit spinoff and said mine was in better shape than his - interesting stuff considering not many were made.below is the guitar mentioned.

My first guitar was a Fender Coronado II that was metallic green. I eventually traded it off. Man, I'm still kicking myself in the butt for that one... :

Post Thanks / Like

Sure hear that bigoldron.let someone use an SG I had long ago never saw it again.big time arse kicking myself for even letting it happen
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

Post Thanks / Like

Sure hear that bigoldron.let someone use an SG I had long ago never saw it again.big time arse kicking myself for even letting it happen
    Young and stupid has a lot to do with it. For some strange reason, I wanted to trade for an acoustic that really wasn't bad, but eventually I traded it for crappy Epi 335 copy and wound up selling it and the rest of my equipment. That was back in the mid 80's. I only started back about 3 years ago and still ache for that Coronado. I saw one on Ebay about a year ago that was the same color and it sold for almost $1,700. Too rich for my blood... :

My brother had a Tele Deluxe (the one with 2 humbuckers and a Strat neck) and he sold it for college money about the same time that I traded off my Coronado. I see they're selling re-issues at MF for about $650. Another duh move... : :

Post Thanks / Like

Well,Speaking of other Fenders I happen to own a 1966 Coronado lll Wildwood l no one seems to have seen or know about at least not til my former bass guitarist spotted Jimmy Vaughn using one on a PBS channel giving tribute to Jerry Reed Friday.he thinks it was an Austin City Limit spinoff and said mine was in better shape than his - interesting stuff considering not many were made.below is the guitar mentioned.

Wow! The Coronados were awesome guitars that I believe were made to compete with the Gibson hollow body guitars.....supposed to be excellent guitars. It's rare to see those. Congrats on a cool guitar!!

I owned one of the Mustang reissues in the early 90's, and although it wasn't a bad guitar, I didn't like the tailpiece/tremelo system...really difficult to keep in tune unless you use some really heavy strings.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    What! There are other Fenders?!! Oh my, I feel more gas pains a comin.

I used to have a 64 Jaguar. The neck was really skinny. Perfect for a child I guess, but to skinny for my medium sized hands. I had a lot of problems with the switches too. They have a whole bunch of switches and extra volume knobs. Not my industrial cup of tea so to speak.

I also have one of the Squier Stagemasters with neck thru and it is way cool.

Still the one guitar that consistently gets me off is just a plain old Strat.
    I agree...I love strats. I've tried other guitars from Les Pauls, to Teles, but always come back to the strat as my #1 guitar.

The Jaguars are very small scale...24" scale length in fact.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

posted by bigoldron
    Young and stupid has a lot to do with it. For some strange reason, I wanted to trade for an acoustic that really wasn't bad, but eventually I traded it for crappy Epi 335 copy and wound up selling it and the rest of my equipment. That was back in the mid 80's. I only started back about 3 years ago and still ache for that Coronado. I saw one on Ebay about a year ago that was the same color and it sold for almost $1,700. Too rich for my blood...
    That was the kicker I was neither Young or stupid unless trusting your brother is stupid.let him borrow the SG not knowing he was going to let someone else use it that he never saw again either...very tough lesson learned just gotta say it from now on: No Way bro
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat

Post Thanks / Like

That was the kicker I was neither Young or stupid unless trusting your brother is stupid.let him borrow the SG not knowing he was going to let someone else use it that he never saw again either...very tough lesson learned just gotta say it from now on: No Way bro
    Amen to that! It's a shame you have to be that way but such is life.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jazzmasters

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I tried starting discussions about Jazzmasters but nobody seems to have one or care. I for one am a huge Jazzmaster fan. I have to being a Robert Smith disciple. Robert, Jimi, and Nuno are the men who molded me.
    Back in the very early sixties the lead guitarist in my band played a rose colored Jazzmaster. I loved the sounds from that guitar and still think fondly of them. For many years, it was my favorite guitar. In spite of that, I ended up buying a Strat (having been a keyboard player) which I love.

Post Thanks / Like

like it too,in fact been trying to win one from the lead player of dinosaur jr,it is a good'n alright

Post Thanks / Like

In the very early 80's, I bought a 1969 Fender Mustang Competition for $200. One of the best guitars I bought. Very different from a Strat. I still pull it out once a week for fun.

-- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1

Post Thanks / Like

Dinosaur Jr. founder J Mascis has a real nice one also rose sparkle in color.the orange one is nice too although most seen when they are are powder or baby blue.saw white one in one in a town by the Tenessee/Ky border.

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Telecaster FVT HH Black Cherry burst

I just got one of these. Awesome with mahogany body and mahogany set neck with two Seymour Duncan Humbuckers; reverse wound neck 59 and bridge Pearly Gates. Five way switch and coil tapping.

Very light guitar and awesome awesome tone. One of my best guitar purchases and totally consistent with my efforts to upgrade my collection of cheap guitars with some reasonably decent ones.

I will post some pictures when I take them. Strikingly beautiful.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

I never owned a Jazzmaster until last year, and now, I find myself using it more and more. It's become my favorite of the three Fenders I own, but it was not without its issues and quirks, which I am still working on.

My JM is an MIJ, Candy Apple Red. The pickups sounded like ***-very weak and Strat-like, so I got rid of the bridge pickup and put a Seymour Hot For Jazzmaster in there. Now the volume balance is all off with the neck pickup. I spoke to Curt Novak a couple weeks ago, and might go with a couple of his pickups, which are hotter and evenly balanced. The bridge pickup is built like a P90.

Also, I had the usual problems with the low E popping out of the saddle, so I installed a buzz stop. That problem is solved.

I don't like the whammy bar at all. It was swinging freely, so I took it off, and a few weeks ago, the receptacle that holds it in has come loose under the bridge plate, so that needs to be fixed.

Other than that, the guitar plays great, stays in tune like a champ, and looks cool. I never leave for a gig without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I could easily see myself palying a Classic Player Jazzmaster Special...

Or the Elvis Costello Signature Jazzmaster...

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Yes those do look nice dont they?could see myself with one someday too.

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, isn't it how Jazzmasters started out as Fender's "top of the range" guitar, then became the "poor man's Fender", and are now seen as exotic rarities?

Elvis Costello (and Tom Verlaine and J Mascis) bought Jazzmasters because they were vintage US guitars (and thus good working instruments) for a fraction of the price of (say) a Stratocaster. They were still relatively cheap well into the 90s. Now we only get expensive "signature" versions.
    Last edited by markb; April 30th, 2010 at 05:41 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

There was that really great "other" Fender, called Starcaster. I've heard people saying it was even beeter than a 335. Hopefully, one day Fender will reissue this guitar, maybe with a more attractive headstock. I just recently saw a band live on TV, I think it was the Killers, and their guitarist played a Starcaster. It had a great great tone.

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, that is a cool looking guitar. I enjoy me some Killers. I will have to see if I can find some vid somewhere.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast