Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Next Build: BYOC's New Overdrive 2 Kit...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Build: BYOC's New Overdrive 2 Kit...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Next Build: BYOC's New Overdrive 2 Kit...

As described in THIS POST, BYOC has redesigned their very popular Overdrive kit (Tube Screamer TS808 circuit clone), adding a number of new features and options. It even includes an integrated booster section that functions indepedently from the OD circuit and has it's own separate stomp switch. But the feature that grabbed my attention right away was the ability to build it as a MOSFET overdrive. If you're into overdrive pedals, you'll know that MOSFET-based OD's are all the rage, for their natural, tube-like response. The well regarded "boutique" MOSFET OD's regularly command prices in the $200 - $300 range. You've probably heard the names--Hermida Mosferatu, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET, Blackstone MOSFET Overdrive, etc.

I already have a modified TS808 clone (IMO, one of the best you'll find--my Zonkin' Yellow Screamer mod!), but building a MOSFET version was something I definitely wanted to try. I managed to get two out of a handful of kits that Keith at BYOC still had available after his distributors ran him out of most of the initial production run. They were delivered this past Monday. One is for a Fretter who wanted one of these as a gift, but the other--that puppy is MINE!!

Looking through the build options, it turns out that MOSFETs can be used in 5 different places in this circuit:

• The input buffer
    • The opamp
    • The clipping stage
    • The output buffer
    • The boost stage

I did some looking into the pro's & con's of using MOSFET's in these various parts of the circuit and decided to go with them everywhere but the output buffer--sticking with a bipolar transistor there apparently gives the pedal better drive characteristics. The input buffer and clipping section will have the MOSFETs soldered in. The pedal comes with an opamp socket, so I'll start with the MC33502 dual-MOSFET opamp provided in the kit, though it also includes a JRC4558D and a Burr Brown OPA2134. And I decided to socket the entire booster section of the circuit (it's only 8 component spots), so that I can try both MOSFET and bipolar NPN trannies there, as well as play with the max. boost gain. The MOSFET is supposed to give a very clean, chimey boost, where the bipolar NPN will provide more drive and a slight degree of distortion. So I'll see which I like better, both alone and in combination with the main overdrive stage. Should be fun, mixing & matching.

Anyway, I started the build a couple of nights ago, and have it all together except for the jack and switch wiring, plus adding all the socketed components. Hope to finish it up tonight, 'cuz the rest of the weekend looks pretty well packed with family commitments. Will take some pics to post here, as well as the obligatory sound clip, once I've had a chance to play with it some and explore the sonic possibilities....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I'll be very interested to see and hear the OD2 when you've finished it. I'm lousy with OD pedals, but if this is cool, I could always add another one.

BTW, have you ever checked out the Ibanez Mostortion? They are fairly rare. They came out in the same casing as the TS-10 Tube Screamer pedals. I got one on a blowout from Musicians Friend a few years ago. It only sounded OK, not as good as a normal Tube Screamer.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    BTW, have you ever checked out the Ibanez Mostortion? They are fairly rare. They came out in the same casing as the TS-10 Tube Screamer pedals. I got one on a blowout from Musicians Friend a few years ago. It only sounded OK, not as good as a normal Tube Screamer.
    Must admit, I've never even heard of that one before. Interesting. How long ago was this that Ibanez sold these?

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Must admit, I've never even heard of that one before. Interesting. How long ago was this that Ibanez sold these?
    I believe these were sold from the late 80s to the mid 90s. I owned one when the first came out, sold it and got another one pretty cheap on a blowout from MF.

Here is some info:

http://filters.muziq.be/model/ibanez/10/mt10

Schematic is here. How close is it to the OD2?

tung

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I should mention this: For those of you who might be interested in this kit, either to build it yourself or have someone build one for you (now, who could that be?)--the 2nd production run is supposed to be available for sale on Feb. 9. The first one sold out in 48 hrs. Just sayin'....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I finished up the Overdrive 2 build on Fri. evening and had a little bit of time to play around with it yesterday. Very nice. Still recognizably a Tube Screamer-type overdrive, but the MOSFETs give it a nice warm, juicy kind of character. I've been playing around with the max and min gain trimpots inside and have it set up for the same minimum gain as a TS808 but a little more than twice the maximum. You have to be careful with this, because the max gain setting also affects the bass rolloff frequency of the pedal--dial it up too high, and you'll wash out the bottom end of the pedal, even at the highest of the 3 positions on the "Fat" toggle switch.

Here are a couple of photos taken during the build. Clips to follow, when I have the time to do a couple.

Partially populated PCB; note the sockets on the right side, to allow switching the booster section between MOSFET and bipolar transistor configurations:

Completed PCB, except for mounting the socketed components:

Back of PCB, showing pot, toggle switch and dual LED mounting:

Finished pedal "gutshot":

Finished but unpainted pedal top:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

As always, excellent work. I'm in awe of your pedal building (and finishing) skills. : Have you thought of a name yet?

It looks like there are a few components missing from the PCB, mods to the basic design?

I'm definitely going to have to build this one.

tung

OK, I finished up the Overdrive 2 build on Fri. evening and had a little bit of time to play around with it yesterday. Very nice. Still recognizably a Tube Screamer-type overdrive, but the MOSFETs give it a nice warm, juicy kind of character. I've been playing around with the max and min gain trimpots inside and have it set up for the same minimum gain as a TS808 but a little more than twice the maximum. You have to be careful with this, because the max gain setting also affects the bass rolloff frequency of the pedal--dial it up too high, and you'll wash out the bottom end of the pedal, even at the highest of the 3 positions on the "Fat" toggle switch.

Here are a couple of photos taken during the build. Clips to follow, when I have the time to do a couple.

Partially populated PCB; note the sockets on the right side, to allow switching the booster section between MOSFET and bipolar transistor configurations:

Completed PCB, except for mounting the socketed components:

Back of PCB, showing pot, toggle switch and dual LED mounting:

Finished pedal "gutshot":

Finished but unpainted pedal top:

Post Thanks / Like

Have you thought of a name yet?
    Working on that! I definitely want to do some sort of word play on "MOS" or "MOSFET". Open to suggestions. So far, my short list of ideas include:

• MOSFETishist Overdrive
    • Uno MOS-fet Overdrive (my current favorite)
    • MOS Transit Overdrive
    • Critical MOS Overdrive

It looks like there are a few components missing from the PCB, mods to the basic design?
    Indeed. Depending on which sections of circuit are built to "stock" or MOSFET specs, certain resistors and diodes are used or left out.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Working on that! I definitely want to do some sort of word play on "MOS" or "MOSFET". Open to suggestions. So far, my short list of ideas include:

• Critical MOS Overdrive
    I like the one above.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, it's gonna be pretty hard to beat Mosferatu. . .

But I've got some suggestions:

MOSeltav - It's an OD!

MOStensibly Vintage OD

M.O.D. (i.e. Ministry of Defence - or Mosfet Over Drive)

My 2 cents. . .

Great build, by the way! Looks awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thearabianmage
    MOSeltav - It's an OD!
    LOL! I like that one!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MOSeltav is good, or I like the Critical MOS one.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work as always Vood.

It makes me wish that I was more into pedals.
    Bipolar transistors? That's the first that I've heard of silicon with mental disturbances. Probably makes a great pedal.

What else is there? Schizophrenic op-amps? Pots with OCD?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Mos Tequila?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

How about

MOS y Mas

(ie MOS and more)

The boost could be labelled Mas.

Here's "Mas y Mas" by Los Lobos for inspiration:

MOS y MOS

is also good as you have a lot of MOS.

or

MOS y MOS y MOS y MOS

since there are four places where you've used MOSFETs.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

There was an interesting article on BYOC in Premier Guitar that I was reading last night --might have been a back issue though, now that I think of it. The company is 3 people working out someone's house and it's really taken off. Pretty neat story.
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    How about

MOS y MOS

is also good as you have a lot of MOS.
    O-o-o-o-o-h, that's very good, Tot! : I think we have a worthy challenger to Mage's MOSal Tov! (the "correct" spelling)

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Bipolar transistors? That's the first that I've heard of silicon with mental disturbances. Probably makes a great pedal.

What else is there? Schizophrenic op-amps? Pots with OCD?
    Pot's with OCD? How about the whole pedal:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Pot's with OCD? How about the whole pedal:

Yeah, I've often wondered about that pedal. All pedals tend to bring out the OCD in us. A little tweak here, a little knob twiddling there.
    I pick a moon dog.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast