Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Strat!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Very nice. I've been diggin' my MIM Strat quite a bit lately : But then again, I just got my Tele back from the shop following a proper setup and fret dressing and it's super-sweet now... oh, and I have my eye on another little number that I hope to post about in a few days time...

Oh yeah, Strat. I love my Strat
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds cool, what pickup position were you using, do you remember?

Post Thanks / Like

Switch position 3
    http://www.soundclick.com/sacco
    http://www.soundclick.com/thetools

Reverend of Rock n Roll .

Google won't search for Chuck Norris because it knows you don't find Chuck Norris, he finds you.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfreak33
    Switch position 3

Thanks. I use 2 and 4 a lot, and the bridge occasionally, but rarely just the neck or just the middle. Then again, I don't play Strat very often to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I just found one on ebay in that same color with a maple fretboard. The MIM standards are without a doubt a great bang for the buck.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Thanks. I use 2 and 4 a lot, and the bridge occasionally, but rarely just the neck or just the middle. Then again, I don't play Strat very often to begin with.

Same here. I have the HSS and find I settle on 2 and 4 85% to 90% of the time.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice guitar

I had the tone knob switched from the middle to the bridge on two of my strats and I really like that simple and inexpensive mod.

What I find is that now position 3 rocks! The middle pickup is now wide open with no tone control on it like the bridges used to be. So the middle pickup sounds super great now to my ear. And being able to modify the tone on the bridge setting is really cool.

I did this to the Seymour Duncan 'lil 59 in the middle on my "Black Pearl" sss; and to the stock middle single coil on my Classic Vibe '50s. That middle pup now really sings on both of these guitars.

Most everybody probably knows about that strat wiring modification, but if you don't, I think you will find this info interesting at least, and maybe even motivating to have it done to one of your strats. My guess is that you would find the result very satisfying.

It's great to be able to tweak the strat bridge tone on the bridge setting. When you think about it, it justs sounds like a great idea. The unexpected plus I found was that I really like the sound of the middle pickup in position 3 a lot better now and actually use it a lot.

I would recommend this mod to anyone that thinks it might be a good idea. It will probably work out better than you already think it will. I'm going to do it to other strats in the future, absolutely. I should do it to the Hwy One ssh next, as well as my Squire Deluxe. I think you get a lot more out of the pickups when they are set up this way.

Peace

Duffy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duff49
    I had the tone knob switched from the middle to the bridge on two of my strats and I really like that simple and inexpensive mod.
    That was my first mod ever, when receiving my Squier CV 50's. The bridge PU without tone control was hard to handle when playing with overdrive or distortion. Now it can be controlled very fine. And I also recognized the more open tone of the middel pickup.

On my Yamaha Pacifica with S/S/H pickups I also changed the switching option. Now it is:

1: Neck Pickup
    2: Neck with middle pickup
    3: Neck with bridge humbucker (!)
    4. Middle with bridge humbucker in single coil split mode
    5. Bridge pickup.
    Last edited by Guitar-Chris; March 14th, 2009 at 02:43 AM.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Hagar, that was a sweet clip!!! I bought that same guitar today. It rocks and looks sweet too. Good luck with it. I spent about two hours setting her up and now I'm real happy with the way it feels and plays.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar Chris

I just had that mod done on my Squire "White Out" Deluxe last night when I had it set up again. Being able to control the bridge pup alone with the tone control is a really great mod that I'll have done to other strats too.

I should get you Pacifica mod done to my Highway One SSH.

The middle switch pup sounds way more useable wide open than the bridge did wide open. I'm playing the "White Out" tonight and it really plays well and sounds super great.

That Lake Placid blue strat looks cool. I can only imagine how cool a white pearl pickguard would look on that.

Duffy

Post Thanks / Like

Great looking new strat hf33 Nice clips too

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12