Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Top 15 Most Influential Guitarists - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 15 Most Influential Guitarists

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Jones
    Neil Young- nobody can get so much out of one string
    Except perhaps Django Reinhardt.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraint Jones
    Dan Auerbach - so much noise for 2 people to make
    I love The Black Keys as well. I just got Dan's solo album this week. I highly recommend it. He's evolving as a songwriter, but still very heavily rooted in the blues. If you like Dan, you should enjoy it.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Except perhaps Django Reinhardt.

Hahaha, yeah opposite ends of the spectrum alright .

I`ll defineately be looking out for Dan Auerbach`s new solo stuff , I think I`ve got all the other albums but I`ve never seen them live and they`re supposed to be fantastic

Post Thanks / Like

I've not seen them live in person either, but I have some live stuff on audio (a John Peel session, a live broadcast for the BBC, and a couple of live full shows). They are definitely a powerful live act. Like you said, it's a lot of sound for coming from only two people.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 15

Thanks for the great idea. You made me think!

Hutch Hutchinson - my first guitar teacher RIP Hutch!!
    Rev. Virgil Martin- my Dad who taught me Hank Sr tunes
    George Harrison
    Chuck Berry
    Pete Townsend
    Pat Metheney
    Billy Gibbons
    Bill Lloyd
    Jimmy Page
    Trevor Rabin
    Mike Campbell
    Andy Summers
    Hendrix
    Lee Ritenour
    Wes Montgomery

thanks!

Johnboy

Post Thanks / Like

Pat Metheny is a good choice too, although he falls into the same category for me as a guy like Tommy Emmanuel: guys I love to listen to, but I can't see myself ever imitating. With Metheny it's mostly because I don't "get" Jazz. With Emmanuel (and really Metheny too for that matter) I understand that I'll never have the chops to play like them anyway.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold, I feel the same way about Metheney. I absolutely love his playing but I harbor no illusions that I'd ever be able to play like that. The guy is a genius, but way out of my league.

Back to the subject of Dan Auerbach for a second. About an hour ago I taught myself how to play "I Got Mine" and I am quite thrilled about it. I can play a few covers that the Black Keys play ("She Said She Said" and "Have Love, Will Travel") but this is the first proper Black Keys song I've learned. Whoo hoo!!

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit I`m more inclined to list guys who`s guitar playing is a little more tangible to the mere mortal.

And now I`m going to have to dig out Attack and Release , although I`ve been listening to Tony Rice for most of the afternoon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Marnold, I feel the same way about Metheney. I absolutely love his playing but I harbor no illusions that I'd ever be able to play like that. The guy is a genius, but way out of my league.

Back to the subject of Dan Auerbach for a second. About an hour ago I taught myself how to play "I Got Mine" and I am quite thrilled about it. I can play a few covers that the Black Keys play ("She Said She Said" and "Have Love, Will Travel") but this is the first proper Black Keys song I've learned. Whoo hoo!!
    Now I`ve had to go and learn that as well , damn.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty easy, the main riff of it anyway. Sounds a lot like it could have been a Zeppelin riff (which is a compliment).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it did`nt take me long to suss it out , although I know the intros to tons of stuff .

Post Thanks / Like

John Lennon
    George Harrison
    John Fogerty
    John Mellencamp
    Joe Walsh
    Richie Blackmore
    Gerry Beckley
    Glenn Frey
    David Gilmoure
    John Cash
    Johnnie Rivers
    There are more but I just can't think of them right now.

Post Thanks / Like

I groove on the 70s stars and wish to keep the 70s music alive.

My very favs and who I like to play are:

Mark Farner (Grand Funk Railroad)
    Buck Dharma (Blue Oyster Cult)
    Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
    Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple)

And ME! (The Brazen Man) :
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi Hendrix
    Jimmy Page
    Eric Clapton
    Dan Auerbach (Black Keys)
    Buddy Guy
    Freddie King
    Jack White (White Stripes/Raconteurs)
    Mick Collins (Dirtbombs)
    Albert King
    R.L. Burnside
    Eric Gales
    Jimmy D. Lane
    SRV
    Eddie Hazel
    Santana

Post Thanks / Like

Wow............. with all the meat & potato players listed I figured someone would have listed Mick Green.........

the antithesis of "getting so much out of one string".

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back to Metheney and company....

Howdy!

To me, Pat Metheney, Lee Ritenour, and to some degree Larry Carlton and Wes Montgomery made me realize that there is melody that we don't get to hear by typical rock players. I can't play any of there tunes, although I scoot around on Montgomery a little. However, after starting to listen to the aforementioned guitarists more than 20 years ago, I wanted to be able to express myself with the guitar as I heard melody in my head. It ain't hardly worked out, but I can still hear "As it falls in Witchita,... so it falls in Witchita Falls, Wes Bound, the theme from MASH, and all those cool commercial tunes we all know Montgomery played on the radio when I was a kid back in the 60's. Now that was taking the guitar to a place it hadn't been before, and made me less afraid of what I was doing. I wanted to write more using the guitar as my centerpiece.

By the way, I still suck, but I suck a lot less than I used to.

Johnboy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnboymartin
    Howdy!

To me, Pat Metheney, Lee Ritenour, and to some degree Larry Carlton and Wes Montgomery made me realize that there is melody that we don't get to hear by typical rock players. I can't play any of there tunes, although I scoot around on Montgomery a little. However, after starting to listen to the aforementioned guitarists more than 20 years ago, I wanted to be able to express myself with the guitar as I heard melody in my head. It ain't hardly worked out, but I can still hear "As it falls in Witchita,... so it falls in Witchita Falls, Wes Bound, the theme from MASH, and all those cool commercial tunes we all know Montgomery played on the radio when I was a kid back in the 60's. Now that was taking the guitar to a place it hadn't been before, and made me less afraid of what I was doing. I wanted to write more using the guitar as my centerpiece.

By the way, I still suck, but I suck a lot less than I used to.

Johnboy
    Don't worry, you're not alone. Sometimes I think I'm a rock star.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Default No, the other one.......

There's also Robert Johnson....not the blues legend, the Memphis white kid.

Rolling Stone magazine gave his album a good review, so I bought it, about 30 years ago. You can have a free listen@ lala if you'd like.

http://www.lala.com/album/3098758019311669901

To quote johnboymartin, I guess "it ain't hardly worked out" for this Robert Johnson as far as record deals.......I don't know where he's at today, can't find much info on him. I only mention the more obscure guitarists, as some of you may want to hear something new. Everyone has listed some great influences, I'd rather list some not previously mentioned.

(Quote from Tim Brough's review)

"One of the late seventies lost classics came in the form of a split-legged Memphis rock guitarist who came with an incredible pedigree. Robert Johnson was the touring guitarist with John Entwistle's Ox, was once considered a replacement for Mick Taylor in the Rolling Stones (Ronnie Wood got the gig) and was signed with the lavish - but ultimately failed - Infinity Records in the USA. Infinity was a new vanity label which scored early hits from Rupert Holmes, Orleans, Hot Chocolate, New England and Spyrogyra. Johnson was supposed to be their entry into the scene that was blowing up via The Knack and The Cars.

Johnson's album met that challenge and more. While his closest contemporary of the time would be folks like Dave Edmunds or Nick Lowe, his fretwork was still rooted in Chuck Berry's Memphis and there was an energy here that could have lit up radio dials had radio been paying attention (and Infinity not $pent itself into oblivion). Like Berry, Johnson has an affinity for the cars and girls rock life, as is evidenced by name-drop titles like Keri, Leslie and Debbie. I've also been always partial to "Wreck My Mind," Johnson's ode to the calamity of love ("like cutting corners on two wheels...").

While the album never caught on stateside (and Infinity tanked soon after the album was released, wiki the label if you'd like to see more), Johnson did get a second album in the UK. His biggest hit there was a faithful (if revved up) cover of Elvis Presley's "Burning Love." The companion album, "The Memphis Demos" is linked to the CD, marking its first release ever in the US. They include a couple live cuts and raw versions of "Wish Upon a Star" and "I'll Be Waiting
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

No one has mentioned the First UK strat Player Hank Marvin (The shadows), without him there wouldn't be

Brian May, Pete Townsend, Dave Gilmour, Jimmy Page and countless more British guitar players.

He was a God before Clapton became God.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitartango
    No one has mentioned the First UK strat Player Hank Marvin (The shadows), without him there wouldn't be

Brian May, Pete Townsend, Dave Gilmour, Jimmy Page and countless more British guitar players.

He was a God before Clapton became God.
    Absolutely.
    Marvin was about 3 yrs. older than Mick Green. However, Marvin was a more refined player, and was influencing players before Green, who had a more raw, wild style of playing. By the time Mick Green came to play for Johhny Kidd and the Pirates, Marvin had long ago left his mark with the Drifters, which was later changed to The Shadows.
    Each band had hits in the U.K. around the same time, albeit with different band members.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast