Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD - Gretsch 5120
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD - Gretsch 5120

Post Thanks / Like

Talking NGD - Gretsch 5120

Lookee what followed Mrs. T home! I saw it Saturday in the city and she oh, so kindly picked it up for me today (gawrsh I luv her) . Used and a couple of bills off of list, but I can't find a single mark on it! Ooohhh.... this is a sweet little number... similar to my Washburn semi, but different in many ways too... gonna be soooo much fun sussing this out : Off to youtube to soak up some Brian Setzer, Duane Eddy etc.

Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Mrs T sounds like a great woman, does she have a sister?

Looks good T, looking forward to hearing more.

My wife brought me a sandwich.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    My wife brought me a sandwich.
    And how does it sound plugged in?

That does look great, T. Looking forward to hearing it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, congrats! That is big! I am very happy for you.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    And jealous as all get out too.

Congrats on the new axe. That looks really nice. Does it have a darker tone or more bright?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it wrong to thing about mod'ing a new guitar already? I think I may opt for some filtron type p'ups (maybe something from GFS) to move it even farther away from my semi-hollow and give it some vintage-y jangle.

First things first - I better play it for awhile
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    And jealous as all get out too.

Congrats on the new axe. That looks really nice. Does it have a darker tone or more bright?
    It's pretty bright, for bucker type p'ups - brighter than my Washburn semi-hollow, and kind of jangly, which I'll attribute to the shorter scale and Bigsby trem - but I do like the idea of more vintage jangle/twang, thus the post above re: filtrons, or TV Jones or some such. I'll keep ya posted.

I feel like I just graduated or something

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    Is it wrong to thing about mod'ing a new guitar already?
    The answer is no.

Congrats!
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    TV Jones
    Never knowingly heard them, but I have yet to read a bad thing about them. From what I've read, that would be a nice mod.
    Mark

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! SUUUWHEEEET!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey T, that guitar would go well with the shirt our newest member (CitizenCain) is wearing in his intro. I have a feeling that he would like that new guitar of yours.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hey T, that guitar would go well with the shirt our newest member (CitizenCain) is wearing in his intro. I have a feeling that he would like that new guitar of yours.
    Finally, someone who gets that I buy guitars to match my wardrobe! Cooler than shoes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never knowingly heard them[TV Jones pick ups], but I have yet to read a bad thing about them. From what I've read, that would be a nice mod.
    Brian Setzer is the first example that comes to mind.

Here are some clean:

And I think here a little louder and on venturing further into the feedback zone: : Guitar looks a little different but I bet it still has the TV Jones pups.

P.S. I looked on the Gretsch site, and this guitar above does have the TV Jones pups.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good Trev! When do we see it in action on YouTube with the Barley Boys?
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

There's a section at www.tvjones.com just for 5120 owners. He recommends TV Classics in the english mount (standard humbucker fitting).
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

WOW!

I was just last weekend checking out a band where the only guitarist went from Squier Strat (boring) to some kind of glitter covered Gibson (nice and growly) to exactly that guitar! which sounded the best of the three!

So Jealous, but congratulations on your NGD

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Wow, congrats! That is happy! I am very big for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Looking good Trev! When do we see it in action on YouTube with the Barley Boys?
    as soon as someone is smart enough to bring a video camera to a gig :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin
    Thanks, Ch0jin but I hardly know ya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin

LOL, ROFLMAO!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast