Thread: Heavy Traffic in Orbit

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heavy Traffic in Orbit

I can remember people warning that the amount of "space junk" orbiting Earth would some day cause problems as it increases in quantity. I'm sure this has happened before, but I don't recall reading about space collisions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29212634/

Tot, be careful out there - you are the only non-Earthling fretter that we know of and we don't want you getting hurt.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I can remember people warning that the amount of "space junk" orbiting Earth would some day cause problems as it increases in quantity. I'm sure this has happened before, but I don't recall reading about space collisions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29212634/

Tot, be careful out there - you are the only non-Earthling fretter that we know of and we don't want you getting hurt.
    Don't worry about me. I'd choose to burn out in the atmosphere rather than land in Texas.

Somehow CB & Shiner survived the aftereffects of the landing.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Don't worry about me. I'd choose to burn out in the atmosphere rather than land in Texas.

So are you planning to visit your homeplanet for the coming easter party?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Space junk? No problem...that's what hull plating and shields are for. Everybody knows that...

Now we get to sit and wonder when and where the large chunks of debris from that satellite crash will blaze through the atmosphere and crash. I'm hoping the ocean or Siberia...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a video of a fireball on the news last night. Apparently a chunk came down between Waco and Hillsboro (about thirty miles away)
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

That area of LEO is awfully crowded, and getting more so. There should be an international referendum to de-orbit LEO satellites once their useful lives are finished...............................just save a little fuel to bring it down safely.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    That area of LEO is awfully crowded, and getting more so. There should be an international referendum to de-orbit LEO satellites once their useful lives are finished...............................just save a little fuel to bring it down safely.
    That's right you are a space observer with the telescope (aka: Gatling gun) in the back yard. You should warn Shiner about incoming.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The "official" word now is that it was not debris from the colliding satellites, but they don't know what it was. My best bet is that Tot dumped his space toilet over Waco. We get that a lot, we call 'em "space peanuts".
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    That area of LEO is awfully crowded, and getting more so.
    Tell me about it. It used to be a great neighborhood & now the place has been run into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    That's right you are a space observer with the telescope (aka: Gatling gun) in the back yard.
    No kidding. Scares the space peanuts out of me every time he points it my way.

Luckily they land on Shiner, so no harm done.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard

Luckily they land on Shiner, so no harm done.
    Beer nuts.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Kind of funny how one subject begins, and other strange coincidences follow. I was watching some marathon on the Sci-Fi channel today of the weird, dark comedy show Dead Like Me. The first episode begins with a piece of Russian space junk burning up in the atmosphere and a "10 G toilet seat" makes it through the atmosphere and takes out the girl (George), who narrates each episode in the first person from then on as a "Grim Reaper".

Space junk. It's not just an outer space problem anymore. It could soon be coming to a neighborhood near you.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.