Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Stock AD30VT vs. Ragin Cajun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stock AD30VT vs. Ragin Cajun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stock AD30VT vs. Ragin Cajun

I borrowed my friend's AD30VT and tested it against my Eminence Ragin Cajun-equipped version. His is on the left in these videos. Mine is on the right. See the videos themselves on YouTube for the details on the settings. I used my DST-3, using only the Screamin' Demon. My camera isn't the greatest (nor is my playing) but I think you can get the gist anyway.

Clean (Black 2x12)

Medium Gain (UK70s)

High Gain (US Higain)

One thing that struck me was how similar they were in volume. To my ear, the Ragin Cajun was much louder than my stock speaker. This can be explained in several ways:
    1) His is newer than mine and they are using a slightly different speaker now (possible, although tonally they are very similar)
    2) Since mine is older and has gotten much more use, the speaker does not age well (unlikely)
    3) It was an aural illusion that they were different (possible, but my son and my wife thought the same thing)

Thoughts? Comments? Witty banter?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

First off these amps always impress me. I had an ad50vt and it sounded great too. Your amp sounds more present/more midrange to me and your friends has a lower midrange than yours. I think I prefer the Rajin Cajun better with a more up front sound. These amps do sound sweet.

Your playing is awesome, I really liked that! Rawk-on Rev

M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    One thing that struck me was how similar they were in volume. To my ear, the Ragin Cajun was much louder than my stock speaker. This can be explained in several ways:
    1) His is newer than mine and they are using a slightly different speaker now (possible, although tonally they are very similar)
    2) Since mine is older and has gotten much more use, the speaker does not age well (unlikely)
    3) It was an aural illusion that they were different (possible, but my son and my wife thought the same thing)

Thoughts? Comments? Witty banter?
    I would bet that the RC is louder due to it's sensitivity: 100dB/watt/meter.

I'm not sure what the stock speaker's sensitivity is, but I would bet that it is lower.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, I am a Rajun Cajun fan, so we know where I stand on this.

Take each one of the clips and just click on the red bar back and forth so you are hearing it much closer to a "side-by-side" comparision. By doing it that way, you can almost compare chord for chord the difference.

After I did that, I thought the stock speaker sound like it was coming through one end of two cups connected together by string.

In other words, the stock doesn't even come close.

Again, switch back and forth by clicking on the red bar.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the RC--fuller, more open sound, warmer tone. Probably wouldn't sound as good with the mids heavily scooped, since that's where its strength seems to lie.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Probably wouldn't sound as good with the mids heavily scooped,
    Can you explain that? What do you mean by scooped?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Can you explain that? What do you mean by scooped?
    Crank up the bass and treble, and turn the mids way down. The resulting EQ profile looks "scooped" in the middle. Visualize how it would look on a 10-band graphic equalizer, and you'll have the picture.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Crank up the bass and treble, and turn the mids way down. The resulting EQ profile looks "scooped" in the middle. Visualize how it would look on a 10-band graphic equalizer, and you'll have the picture.
    Got it - I was trying to define it in an audio way, never considered visual. Need to think outside of the box.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

OK, something is completely insane here. I put my old speaker back in and with the same settings, my amp is considerably quieter than his. I got his permission to take the back off to see if Vox did indeed switch speakers. Otherwise, what's the deal here? Is my tube shot? Both of them seem to be glowing about equally, which is not much.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Rev your speaker probably has less sensitivity than his like tung mentioned. It could even be the same kind of speaker, they can vary but it sounds like they made a change and used a more sensitive speaker to make the newer amp a little louder. Would be interesting to see if the speakers are different thought. Keep us informed please.

M

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    OK, something is completely insane here. I put my old speaker back in and with the same settings, my amp is considerably quieter than his. I got his permission to take the back off to see if Vox did indeed switch speakers. Otherwise, what's the deal here? Is my tube shot? Both of them seem to be glowing about equally, which is not much.
    I had a distinct increase in volume when I switched mine. I think the other thing that might make it seem like it's louder, is it is more sensitive to any adjustments made in settings. If the speaker reacts better to the settings, you will be hearing tones that you never heard with the old speaker.

IMHO of course.

Edit:
    1) I guess I should have read the other responses, but at least I'm on the right path.

2) I don't know if it really is louder, but I do know it makes my ears bleed quicker.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

OK, so I opened up his amp to find that the speakers are not the same. Very similar, but not exactly alike. No big surprise since I'm sure they have a general spec and the get whoever can make them cheapest. So I took both original speakers out. The magnet on his is about 1/4" bigger in diameter than mine. The weight is approximately the same. I put his in mine and mine in his. Guess what--his amp is still louder! So the speaker is irrelevant. I put my Cajun in his amp and in the limited amount of time I had to test (the kids are going to bed) it sounded like 50 pounds of awesome in a 10 pound bag. The high end is tamed, the mids are more pronounced, and the bass is tighter. Despite the extra mids it doesn't sound muted, it sounds growlier.

When I tested them with the stock speakers side-by-side, not only was mine quieter but it seemed less "lively" too--muted and boring. This leads me to two possible conclusions:
    1) My tube needs replacing. As I said, it glows about as much as the one in his does--which isn't much at all. Through the little grill on the back of the amp, I can see that his tube is an Electro-Harmonix. Mine doesn't seem to have anything printed on it.
    2) Vox changed the specs on the AD30VT amp itself between the time I got mine and he got his. Not impossible, but I have a hard time imagining that they would sink much R&D into a product like this with razor-thin margins as it is.

Tung, DVM, jim p, other amp gurus . . . HELP!

Tomorrow's my day off so I could hit a guitar shoppe for a new tube.

Post Thanks / Like

AKA "smile curve" and variations thereof. Mid boost = "frowning". Even GEs have smileys .

I think the RC is much nicer on the cleans than the stock speaker. The RC may get louder as it breaks in. I doubt it's loosened up yet.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, according to Valvetronix.net, the sensitivity on an AD30VT's stock speaker is 97dB. The Ragin Cajun is 100dB. Not sure what that translates too in real world figures.

Post Thanks / Like

3db = twice as loud (approximately).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker (scroll down a bit)
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    3db = twice as loud (approximately).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker (scroll down a bit)
    That explains the bleeding ears.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the reset sequence mentioned on pg. 15 of the manual? And I assume you've confirmed that the power level knobs in the back are set the same between the two amps?

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Rev, try his tube in yours and see what happens. Might save a few bucks and some gas buying a tube to try. They just pull out and push in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Rev, try his tube in yours and see what happens. Might save a few bucks and some gas buying a tube to try. They just pull out and push in.
    The problem in these amps is getting at the tube--it's a real pain to change. Nothing like changing a preamp tube in your average tube amp.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast