Thread: Black History Month - The Music

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Black History Month - The Music

A big part of Black history that hasn't received the recognition in the print media and TV this month it deserves. The music here is just a small example of music that inspired millions to pick up a guitar.

Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Mark - great stuff! Thanks for dishin' it up for us. Good thoughts about the history and the music.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    Hey, Mark - great stuff! Thanks for dishin' it up for us. Good thoughts about the history and the music.
    Thanks. I would like to see some of the others post some as well. I don't have the blues knowledge of the early blues artist like a few of the others here.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

...music that inspired millions to pick up a guitar.
    The early & legendary Black Blues guitarists, for sure...and sadly, the US of A of the 50's and into the early 60's buried them under the covers, relegating most if not any radio airplay to 'race music' stations.

But let's not forget this guy flashing a Cherry Red Gibson ES345 who was among some of those cats like Muddy Waters and Buddy Guy cutting tracks for Chicago's Chess Records...and like the Bluesmen you've posted thus far, had a huge influence on the young White British players and bands that emerged as the 'British Invasion'.

And then there was this 'other' Black Music that sprang out of Detroit as the 50's turned into the 60's...powered by a group of studio cats...the Funk Brothers.

This clip's first 10 seconds or so is weird...my French is a bit rusty...but there's subtitles..but hang with it to meet the Funk Brothers original cast and then as they were in 2001...embedding is disabled on this, but here's the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-PNmGMTD-s

It's taken from this documentary released in 2002...if you've never seen it, rent it, borrow it...I did, and then I just had to buy it to get more as the Deluxe DVD set has a 2nd disc with hours more stuff not in the originally released movie:
    http://www.standingintheshadowsofmotown.com/
    Last edited by wingsdad; February 20th, 2009 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If we're talking soul music, we'd be remiss not to discuss Stax and when you discuss Stax, you must start with the MG's as they were the backbone of so much of what was recorded on the Stax label.

Time Is Tight - Booker T & The MGs

Green Onions - Booker T & The MGs

And of course, my favorite singer of all time, Otis Redding (backed by the MG's)...

These Arms of Mine - Otis Redding

Can't Turn You Loose - Otis Redding

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    If we're talking soul music, we'd be remiss not to discuss Stax and when you discuss Stax, you must start with the MG's as they were the backbone of so much of what was recorded on the Stax label.
    +1, R_of_G

Only running out of time this morning kept me from bringing up Stax/Volt and Memphis/Muscle Shoals soul.

Thanks for picking those tunes...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wingsdad
    +1, R_of_G

Only running out of time this morning kept me from bringing up Stax/Volt and Memphis/Muscle Shoals soul.

Thanks for picking those tunes...
    You're welcome and my pleasure. Definitely among my favorite music ever recorded. I could (and have) listen to nothing but Otis for days.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer