Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Motorcyle Fretters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyle Fretters

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Motorcyle Fretters

The company I now work at has a large number of bikers (not as in gangs). A number of them are Harley owners, with a few of them owning several (who would be so stupid to own more than one of anything ). I've always liked bikes, but never was around a lot of people on a daily basis that were bike nuts. As the weather will be changing soon, they are starting their lunch time trips to some of the bike shops around the area.

If I was to get one, I would want something like this

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...S#/model/fxcwc

Surely not the recommended starters bike and that would put a serious dent in the ES335 dream.

I recall there are a few bikers here, care to refresh our memories of who rides? (pics welcome)
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Strum, Please remember me in your will that I suggest you get done before this bike purchase. BIKER DUDE WITH A ES335 strapped to his back-CHICK MAGNET.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    Strum, Please remember me in your will that I suggest you get done before this bike purchase.
    The reason I don't have one

BIKER DUDE WITH A ES335 strapped to his back-CHICK MAGNET.
    The new reason why I want one.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Was motorcycle only for the past 8 years. Finally bought a car the first of December. Carried everything from groceries to golf clubs on it. If it was icy, my wife would take me to work. In all honesty, I rode so much that the bike became nothing more than transportation. I take no pleasure in just riding anymore,
    Gregg

Post Thanks / Like

I've always wanted to, but they scare me. Actually the bike doesn't scare me; the pavement scares the crap out of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Strum, what's your motorcycling history? How long have you ridden, and on what bikes? That's quite a lot of bike you pointed out if this'll be your first.

I've ridden now for 20 years. I started off on a Suzuki GS500, then to a Suzuki GS850, then to my current bike, a Suzuki VS1400 Intruder. I've had her since 1995, and have ridden her almost coast to coast in the U.S., and through England, Wales, and Scotland while I was stationed in England.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't ride, but I think it would be fun. Because I don't ride, I have no right to comment really, but I will anyway. ;-) I used to really think I wanted a sport type bike. My boss at the ski school is a sport/touring bike fan too. His favorite saying regarding Harleys (when he is joking amongst his Harley riding friends), is that if he wanted a vibrator, he would have gone to that OTHER store. ;-)

I think it all looks fun, but nothing I am likely to do anytime soon. Cheers!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Been riding since the "70s" and can't imagine life with out.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go, Mark. I found one you maybe won't hurt yourself with:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...model/flhtcutg

Quote Originally Posted by peachhead
    I've always wanted to, but they scare me. Actually the bike doesn't scare me; the pavement scares the crap out of me.
    I've always heard that a motorcycle will gladly carry you 100,000 miles for the privilege of dragging you a$$ 100 feet down the pavement.

I used to ride dirt bikes when I was a kid. My Dad got a 650 Yamaha street bike when I was 12 or 13. Right after that, an 11 year old got killed on a motorcycle and he sold all ours. Good thing too, as I tried to see just how fast I could make that 650 go.

I haven't ridden in years and I wouldn't mind riding again, but now, there's too many stupid people on the road these days - bad juju.

Post Thanks / Like

I have stopped biking when my son was born. I know it sounds klischee, but here in Germany we have a different traffic. It's much faster and the streets are way more narrow. I had a Ducati Little Monster. Sold it.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I have had numerous bikes over the years....a bad wreck involving a drunk Camaro driver about ended it all before it really got started for me....I have ridden since the wreck...and would love to ride again, but the wife's brother was killed on a motorcycle so she is completely against it.....that is not to say that it won't happen if I were to hit the lottery tho. I have never owned nor ridden a Harley...but I have always wanted to...had all the paper work filled out for one just before the first marriage ended...never fulfilled it tho.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless
    Been riding since the "70s" and can't imagine life with out.
    Same here. I grew up in a motorcycle shop as parts manager and mechanic. We had miles and miles of badlands to ride in growing up so I got into motocross and trials. Eventually switched from dirt bikes to mountain bikes but still have a great love for the open road.

Mrs Spud and I love to wander the Rocky Mountains on weekends and any chance we get.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WackyT
    Strum, what's your motorcycling history? How long have you ridden, and on what bikes? That's quite a lot of bike you pointed out if this'll be your first.

I've ridden now for 20 years. I started off on a Suzuki GS500, then to a Suzuki GS850, then to my current bike, a Suzuki VS1400 Intruder. I've had her since 1995, and have ridden her almost coast to coast in the U.S., and through England, Wales, and Scotland while I was stationed in England.
    Not counting my Raleigh or Schwinn, I would say no more than five minutes. I was born during the day, but it wasn't yesterday - I'm not foolish enough to think that I can climb on that bike and start a biking journey. Besides I look at the price and start thinking how many guitars and amps that money would buy.

The safety issue is a concern, but from the standpoint of a-hole people behind the wheel. When I was teaching my kids how to drive a car, I stressed the importance of giving motorcycles and bike cycles space.

Jimi also brings up a good point - where you ride.

The Harley - only a dream.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that the only time I ride in town is when I'm leaving it. It's not very safe around a lot of traffic and that's why I'm usually out on the open road where I can control the situations.

Cycling is a blast but it's a 100% heads up game and you can NEVER forget that.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

My brother always had a bike around and I learned a little from him. While stationed in Heidelberg, Germany, I got a hair and went to England to Buy a new, Norton 750. Rode it back and the only major issue was adapting back to the non-english road system, after getting used to it during the break-in ride.

Had the big accident in the mid 70's and did not think about them again, until my youngest son, was almost ten. I tend to treat them as a fun way to get places, not as an extension of my personality. I do not dress up in special clothing to get on one. My favorite color is not black.

That is my youngest on the 76' BMW R75/6.

I would have another one today, but it is not in the short plan.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Not counting my Raleigh or Schwinn, I would say no more than five minutes. I was born during the day, but it wasn't yesterday - I'm not foolish enough to think that I can climb on that bike and start a biking journey. Besides I look at the price and start thinking how many guitars and amps that money would buy.

The safety issue is a concern, but from the standpoint of a-hole people behind the wheel. When I was teaching my kids how to drive a car, I stressed the importance of giving motorcycles and bike cycles space.

Jimi also brings up a good point - where you ride.

The Harley - only a dream.
    Good to hear Strum! I've seen too many guys get a too powerful bike as their first; and destroy it, themselves, or both real quick.

If you do decide to get a bike, take a rider safety course. It was mandatory for all active duty when I started riding in the USAF, and was definitely helpful.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted a Harley but I could harley afford it. Local joke.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Are you Suhr about that?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I found a starter bike.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast