Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Lighter colored Rosewood Fretboards - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighter colored Rosewood Fretboards

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

My bottle arrived in Maine yesterday, so I will be picking it up this weekend.
    I will treat all my rosewood boards when I get home. I got a good tip from my tech. He loosens the strings and lifts the stop bar out of the way with the strings attached. I don't know what precautions he takes to make sure everyting goes back the way it should but he says it saves a good set of strings. I would not do this for fret oiling but he does this when he has to do a fret job.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I got a good tip from my tech. He loosens the strings and lifts the stop bar out of the way with the strings attached. I don't know what precautions he takes to make sure everyting goes back the way it should but he says it saves a good set of strings. I would not do this for fret oiling but he does this when he has to do a fret job.
    I hope he tapes down the thumb screws on it and the bridge when he does it - but then again, he can charge you for the setup. One HUGE reason I do my own - I know what I'm getting.

You really don't need to oil the fretboard more than once or twice a year. The oil in your hands alone does a good job of keeping the fretboard alive. As far as cleaning with naphtha goes - only when the Frito and barbeque crust starts building up visibly.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

It was in for a set up, and I asked him to check out the 13th fret it was pretty high. After he adjusted the neck he realized the frets were all over the place. He levelled the frets and set it up. It came out perfect and was 100 bucks. I finally found a person who actually sets the guitar up the way I like it and he has done all 17 of my electrics. Most for free. I get a free set up when I buy a guitar.
    It is nice that you can do your own though. I am in Maine now and I have the Fret Doctor. When I get home I will try it on my Classic.
    I usually only do mine twice a year but this year was extremely cold and I we have had the heat blasting for most of it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN
    I am looking at purchasing a Gibson LP Classic. The only thing I am not too excited about is the lighter color on the Fretboard.
    I thought you might find this interesting. Here is a picture of my Dot, followed by the Wildkat. Both pics taken in the same light only a minute apart.

As you can see, the Wildkat are the same color. They are both Rosewood, but there is a distinct difference. I cleaned the Wildkat today and no sign of dye came off on the rag. Both pics were taken after cleaning and using Fret Doctor.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Yea JS I am on my way home tomorrow so I will be using the Fret Doctor when I get home.
    It should make a big difference.
    That Wildcat board almost looks like ebony. My only worry is that the board is dry on my classic. that is why I bought the Fret Doctor. I will take some before and after pics.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I thought you might find this interesting. Here is a picture of my Dot, followed by the Wildkat. Both pics taken in the same light only a minute apart.

As you can see, the Wildkat are the same color. They are both Rosewood, but there is a distinct difference. I cleaned the Wildkat today and no sign of dye came off on the rag. Both pics were taken after cleaning and using Fret Doctor.
    Wow!

The bottom pic is dyed rosewood????

Looks nice and "ebony" from the pic, Strum.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Wow!

The bottom pic is dyed rosewood????

Looks nice and "ebony" from the pic, Strum.
    The grain is much tighter than Rosewood, plus during cleaning and conditioning there was no dye residue on any of the rags. The guitar was built in Korea in December of 1999. Someone checked Epi catologs beginning in 2000 and there is no mention of ebony. If it is dyed rosewood, they did a good job, plus I've never seen rosewood as dense as this appears to be.

Whatever it is, I like it and the guitar, so I guess it really doesn't matter.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    The grain is much tighter than Rosewood, plus during cleaning and conditioning there was no dye residue on any of the rags. The guitar was built in Korea in December of 1999. Someone checked Epi catologs beginning in 2000 and there is no mention of ebony. If it is dyed rosewood, they did a good job, plus I've never seen rosewood as dense as this appears to be.

Whatever it is, I like it and the guitar, so I guess it really doesn't matter.
    It sure looks ebony to me as far as the grain goes...............no scattered pores like rosewood.

And you're right - who cares?

Post Thanks / Like

I used the Fret Doctor today and this was the results.
    Before.

After

A little bit of a difference.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

If you're not concerned about a bit of yellowing in the fret markers, you can use tinted Briwax which should be available at woodworking stores on on the internet. It's a paste wax instead of an oil, but it goes on much the same as a oil. You just rub it on and buff out the finish. I've found waxes to be excellent in applications where your hands come into contact and a fretboard is an excellent example of this. The tinting in the wax should give an even more pronounced darkening affect than did the lemon oil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12