Thread: Practice! Had to be bureaucratic this time!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Practice! Had to be bureaucratic this time!

Folks, time's getting short for the next couple of months due to familiar engagements and I had to ask myself if I "just" want to play guitar and have fun or if there is still unexplored/underdevelopped ground for me on the guitar that I still want to discover - and yes there's still plenty of stuff I would love to learn how to play - and of course I want to have fun learning new stuff. So I had to be the most bureaucratic and come up with this:

Here's my plan and what I came up with:
    1. I figured out how long I can really concentrate/focus on one topic / ecercise. You all know that is the most difficult part. As it depends on the current shape you are in I figured a span of max. 30 minutes for me. Due to a.m. engagements I have only 30 minutes to practice.
    2. I want to practice 90-120 minutes per week. 3-4 times per week for 30 minutes. If I can really do it like planned that is already a lot of concentrated playing.
    3. What to practice? Totally new stuff or improving "old" stuff. I went for alternative number two.
    4. I have made an Excel sheet. My goal tempo for all exercises is 100. I start with 25% of the aimed tempo and go forward only if I am able to play the exercise clean and perfect! Every step is 5% more tempo.
    5. I completely ignored if the stuff I learn is supporting my current playing style or the music I play with my band. I have just decided to go nuts for at least 4-6 weeks! Why not?!?
    6. I rehearse once a week with my band and we play live at least one time per month. I have to be disciplined while practicing, the fun comes when playing live and rehearse. Yes I know, I can be tough to myself at times *lol*
    7. I have to be able to measure the success. So I decided to write a log and to work only with a metronome.
    8. I will see how far I can get in 4-6 weeks. I update my Excelsheet after every session, at least I make a cross beneath the exercise when exercised :
    9. What did I choose? Tapped Arpeggios, Sweep Arpeggios, Pentatonics, Legato, Triplets. I think I am already able to play these techniques in a more or less "okay" way. Now it's time to perfectionize some of them.
    10. If this plan comes together, I will proceed with songs or solos in the same way for another 4-6 weeks.

Thanks for reading and letting me know if I am totally nuts (point 5 might be the most senseless to you)...

J75
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a plan to me!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

How about
    11. Learning Dim 1/2 1 step and 1/2 1 step, altered scale, whole-tone scale, melodic minor and adding them to all the arpeggios etc exercises?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    How about
    11. Learning Dim 1/2 1 step and 1/2 1 step, altered scale, whole-tone scale, melodic minor and adding them to all the arpeggios etc exercises?
    Hey that sounds like a perfect addition. Could be phase 2. First of I will improve the foundation. I have started working with the whole half tone scale about 2 months ago and combined it with the myxolydian scale - very cool and definitely stuff that ha to be practiced more intensively.

Thank you!!!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to input advice wise as I am a complete novice.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy seeing threads like this because I think they are very informative for us newbies as far as seeing what a veteran does discipline-wise for practice.

Thanks for the thread!
    RIG 1:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony G-400 SG "Fast Eddie"
    Amplifier: Peavey Vypyr 15
    Effects: I think the amplifier has a bunch built in....

RIG 2:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony Dreadnought "Cinder"
    Amplifier: Big Hole in Center of Guitar
    Effects: Various Picks & Gnarled Fingers

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Power
    Nothing to input advice wise as I am a complete novice.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy seeing threads like this because I think they are very informative for us newbies as far as seeing what a veteran does discipline-wise for practice.

Thanks for the thread!
    Thanks that's really a nice comment. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I'm here and I'm happy if such a thread is of help to the newer players :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jimi - it was interesting to see this; I'm inspired by your focus and dedication. I know that's what it really takes to move forward. I really have to try to muster the will to do the same.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Same for me JIMI, Glad to see you so devoted to improvement. I'm kinda recovering from OVER WORKING on the job. Trying to get back into regular practice and hope to expand my song list as the year goes by.