Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
MP3s & the quality of music

Thread: MP3s & the quality of music

Post Thanks / Like

Default MP3s & the quality of music

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle5847674.ece

This is something that I discuss with my 26 year-old son all the time. He was not aware of the degradation of dynamic range.

Here's a youtube video discussing this, I haven't listened to it yet.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5hI98HEi0

Last edited by Spudman; March 7th, 2009 at 02:22 PM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting article Tot. Nothing I didn't really know, but still an interesting area for discussion. I actually always felt the same about CD's compared to vinyl. CD's were certainly more convenient for taking in the car and such, but I will always prefer the dynamic range of vinyl. Hisses and pops don't bother me a bit. It's part of the warmth and authenticity of vinyl. For me, music is most enjoyable on vinyl through a good pair of headphones. Not earbuds, but honest real stereo headphones. I figure if the artists and engineers went through the trouble of getting all of the nuances down on record, the least I can do is actually hear them.

FYI, the video isn't playing though I was able to find it myself on YouTube. I plan to watch it later. Thanks for posting Tot.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Although, I don't necessarily entirely agree with the sentiment in the statement above.
    I think people's priorities have changed in recent years, and there's been a shift in focus to versatility and portability, especially with the advancement of digital technology. People prefer digital cameras (or even their cellphone camera) over film cameras, and they have no qualms about watching TV on their tiny cellphone screen.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

I heard recently, a lot of new release LP`s are being designed for use thru an ipod with very 'flat' volume levels . Those days where you could 'hear' the silence on vinyl are probably on their way out

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with both points, but with such mobile culture, cell phones, blackberries, iPods, cars with DVD players, the peaking popularity of travel by flight, etc... people are spending more time moving than they are sitting down and actually LISTENING to music, discussing things, etc. We discuss this in philosophy class all the time, and I certainly don't want this to become philosophical debate, but perhaps people don't notice the degradation of quality because they're always BUSY.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

That does explain why I had to set the EQ on my phone/mp3 player before I could get it to sound right.

I have my HiFi set up as a set of speakers for my PC so I only ever play MP3s through it now. To me, at least, they don't sound any different to CDs through it. But I set them to the highest quality compression so they end up taking up more room but sound much better. I used to have them set to the highest compression level and they sounded awful.

I think the stock headphones/earphones you get with MP3 players also play a role in this though. Everything sounds awful through them.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

With the current trend in production for "everything louder than everything else" I doubt you'd miss much listening to an mp3 copy. I detect a little flatness from my iPod vs my CD player but not enough to worry about. Soundstaging suffers most, you never quite get that "instruments in space" thing from a really well produced album. OTOH, I listen to a lot of prewar material remastered from 78rpm records. Audio quality is not really an issue with those.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    OTOH, I listen to a lot of prewar material remastered from 78rpm records.
    Do say? Tell us more.

I can see why you are too busy Pieman

I pick a moon dog.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you guys encode your mp3 files?

I use 256 kbps. 128 is too low - even I with bad hearing can hear the loss of audio quality. With 256 however, it sounds the same to me as the real thing.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Windows Media Player, mainly because it's there and I can't be bothered to change it. Just click on "rip" and it'll copy and convert the CD into MP3.
    I currently have it set to 320kbps.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.