Thread: String Buzz...Part Deux

Post Thanks / Like

Default String Buzz...Part Deux

OK. I wrote the other night that I received my GFS neck back from Jay last week. I adjusted to the lowest action I could and not get any buzz picking lightly (lightly being the operative word!). If I pick even a little hard, I get a ton of buzz on the 3rd, 4th, and 5th strings only -- no buzz on the others. And the buzz is all over the neck but not when I pick open (and not every fret). And, for a reason that I don't understand, I hear no buzz when I play with my Vamp-2 using headphones. The guitar sounds great through headphones!

Anyway, I'm probably going to take it to a tech but was curious. Does this most likely mean that the frets are uneven in the middle but fine on the ends? I would hate to have to raise the action any higher than I already have it -- and even when I did, I still heard the buzz on those strings. And, why would I not hear buzz through my headphones?

If you see this post and have any thoughts, I really appreciate the input. Thanks a lot!
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Without seeing the guitar, I'm not real surprised. If you don't want buzz you have to set your height for your regular pick attack. How is the relief on the neck now?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Without seeing the guitar, I'm not real surprised. If you don't want buzz you have to set your height for your regular pick attack. How is the relief on the neck now?
    Exactly my thoughts. How low can you go? Depends

Check the relief. Put a capo on the 1st fret and stop the string at the first fret supported by the body. You should be able to get a 2nd string under the first string at the fret halfway between your stopped points (usually the 8th on Fenders). If not slacken the truss rod until you can. Gently now, only a 1/4 turn at a time. Measure in the playing position, NOT with the guitar lying on its back.
    It's not unusual to have to raise the low strings a bit more than the high strings as the larger string diameter fouls the frets.
    Use the Fender setup guide as a starting point.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scgmhawk
    And, for a reason that I don't understand, I hear no buzz when I play with my Vamp-2 using headphones. The guitar sounds great through headphones!
    That's right, it's how it works. The buzz you're hearing is "mechanical" buzz, your ear picks it up when you play the guitar unplugged. But pickups don't work the same way, and will only pick up the fret buzz when it becomes very severe (mostly your sustain will be shot).

It's a trick many fast players use - they get the action as low as possible without leaking the buzz into the amp. But you can hear it when you play unplugged. Even with a 5-watt tube amp turned up halfway, you won't hear the unplugged buzz, so who cares.

It is possible to have low action without any buzz though, if you set up your truss-rod, nut, and bridge height properly. Maybe you'd need to level the frets by filing as well, a good tech will be able to tell.

Post Thanks / Like

i recon you need to get the files out and do a fret work. sounds to me like when they initialy dressed them the radius beam wasnt square and that will probably be the cause. although it may also possibly be a worn nut