Thread: Ah ha moment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ah ha moment

As a beginner, I'm sure there will be many such moments in my guitar education. One of these times happened last night as muscle memory finally kicked in. I was strumming a simple I IV V progression when my fingers found the C major on their own. They just fell into place naturally, Pretty cool for a newbie.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
    Gregg

Post Thanks / Like

The body can remember a lot if given the information consistently repetitively. That's how I learn songs too. It's just over and over until it's automatic.

Congratulations. You must be playing more.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are great moments. To compare it to your other passion - sort of like hitting off the tee and you never feel the club hitting the ball. It's when it all comes together.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you Mcgreggor. Hang in there my friend. The more you play, the more frequently those moments come.:
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! Since buying a guitar that's set up properly, I've been playing a lot more. Partially because it fits me much better and also to justify my purchase : It's these little victories that keep me picking it up and strumming.

Mark, there are a lot of parallels between guitar and golf. You hit the nail on the head with the most notable similarity... great results can come out of an effortless execution. Of course, playing guitar can humble you just as quickly as playing golf
    Gregg

Post Thanks / Like

Keep up the good work. The more ah-ha moments you have, the easier it gets, and the more you enjoy.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!! thanks for sharing that.

And the good news is, no matter how long you play or how good you get, you can still get those moments. Always something new to have fun with.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic
    hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
    There's also a negative side."
    --Hunter S. Thompson

Guitars: Dean Sweet Wood 00R, Martin D2R, Guild D60, Guild D35NT, Morgan Monroe M30, OS baritone Uke

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57
    Of course, playing guitar can humble you just as quickly as playing golf
    +1 in agreement.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57
    Of course, playing guitar can humble you just as quickly as playing golf
    That's very true! I've been playing (or playing at) golf for over 8 years and I suck at the game.

I've been playing guitar a little over a year and feel that if I put the same effort practicing towards guitar as I have golf I'll suck just a bit less at guitar than golf.