View Poll Results: Which centuries would you visit?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10th Century B.C.

0 0%
  • 9th Century A.D.

0 0%
  • 18th Century A.D.

1 8.33%
  • 24th Century A.D.

4 33.33%
  • Other

7 58.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you had a time machine, would you...

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If you had a time machine, would you...

If you had a time machine, which of the following centuries would you most like to visit?

Why?

If you pick "other", please mention which century and why you picked it. :
    Last edited by Robert; March 13th, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be right down there in Israel with Jesus and I'd check out what it is all about him and what he did. I'd enjoy the Sermon on the Mount and I'd be right there in Golgotha. I'd try to become a disciple.

Alternatively, I'd travel with apostle Paul.

NO THIS IS NOT A RELIGIOUS THREAD NOR SHOULD THIS MOTIVATE YOU TO DISCUSS MY CHOICE IN ANY RELIGIOUS WAY.

:
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd just wait until the Powerball Lottery was worth about 200 million, go forward just enough to see the winning numbers, then come back play those numbers for that week...

Hey, you gotta have some source of income if you're going to be a leisurely time traveler...
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

I posted 18th century but only if I could take my skills that I currently possess. Otherwise I thought going back before Christ would be cool too but it would be probably 1500 years before...and I'd like to have my current skills.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just choose to be part of the 20th. I haven't seen a lot to sway me to any other time.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked 24th century so I can visit my great great grandfather. He was a sweet soul & I miss him.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I chose other. I'd either want to go to somewhere around 500 BC to learn directly from the Buddha, or I'd be happy to visit some parts of last century from slightly before my time to see Miles and Coltrane and George Harrison.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I posted 18th century but only if I could take my skills that I currently possess. Otherwise I thought going back before Christ would be cool too but it would be probably 1500 years before...and I'd like to have my current skills.
    Hmmm... Spud, what skills are you referring to? They didn't have guitars back then, but you mention your skills twice so I'm curious...

And Robert, what on earth made you put the 9th and 10th centuries among the few options?! A frightening time to be about, I should think...

There's no time like the present; from my knowledge of history, we're pretty fortunate to live where and when we do - if we're just talking a VISIT, any time period has its fascinations for me and amazing personalities to meet - hard to choose! I wouldn't mind going with Tot to the 24th; it's always nice to go somewhere where you know someone you can visit...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be cool to meet up with Tot and Duck Dogers in the 24 1/2 century.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I say either the 19th century, beginning with the trapper era before Lewis and Clark, or the first half of the 20th century. I am fascinated by American history, and both those periods interest me very much. Jimi's answer is also very compelling though.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75
    I'd be right down there in Israel with Jesus and I'd check out what it is all about him and what he did. I'd enjoy the Sermon on the Mount and I'd be right there in Golgotha. I'd try to become a disciple.

Alternatively, I'd travel with apostle Paul.

NO THIS IS NOT A RELIGIOUS THREAD NOR SHOULD THIS MOTIVATE YOU TO DISCUSS MY CHOICE IN ANY RELIGIOUS WAY.

:
    Paul was a convert after the fact so I'd probably want to chill with Peter.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I would go back to 1959 and buy a couple of then brand new Les Pauls.
    Perhaps a couple of strats as well..
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't go that far back. For me, it would be a great pleasure to be part of the hippie subculture around 1967-69. Ok, I was born in 1967 so I'm allready a children of that culture But beeing around 20-25 that time would be great.

Look what 1967 was in music
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, a thread of religion and greed.

I would go forward to see how all of this turned out.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Hmm, a thread of religion and greed.

I would go forward to see how all of this turned out.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    The glass is half full.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    The glass is half full.
    That reminds me............ if I had a time machine, I'd try and find out who first said..........
    "An optimist says 'The glass is half full'
    A pessimist says 'The glass is half empty'
    A realist says 'That glass is twice as large as it needs to be'. "
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    That reminds me............ if I had a time machine, I'd try and find out who first said..........
    "An optimist says 'The glass is half full'
    A pessimist says 'The glass is half empty'
    A realist says 'That glass is twice as large as it needs to be'. "
    Well, we know they weren't sitting in a bar when they said it.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar-Chris
    I wouldn't go that far back. For me, it would be a great pleasure to be part of the hippie subculture around 1967-69. Ok, I was born in 1967 so I'm allready a children of that culture But beeing around 20-25 that time would be great.
    Well, '67 may have had the Summer Of Love and been a great year in music, filling young heads like mine with optimism and idealism, but 1968 wasn't quite as much fun.

In 1968, my generation lost all semblance of the innocence that had spawned that subculture.

If you've got about an hour or so, watch the series of 6 vids here and imagine yourself witnessing these things at the age of 18, as your generation passes from an age of innocence to one of fear and confusion.

If you DON'T have that kind of time, then please skip past 1968 to 1970, to the last video posted here:

I don't want to go back there.

Still think you'd want to?

Maybe if I could just cut everything off at August 1969, with Woodstock.

But if you were a college student on May 4, 1970, gathering around the TV in the dorm with your classmates to watch the evening news that night was the penultimate nightmare:

That evening, I smoked pot for the first time in my life. I couldn't see the point of a future anymore.

The only good thing, I guess, was I also picked up a guitar again that night for the first time in 3 years, having sold all my stuff to 'get serious with life'.

Within the next week or so, the National Guard set up shop on or around campuses throughout the nation in anticipation. My college closed and sent us all home, giving everybody a "Pass" grade for all courses instead of a specific grade. Before they could though, we all tasted tear gas and pepper gas; the Guard shot that stuff off to keep us in our dorms so we wouldn't come out to hurt them with our words.

When I got home, my parents were relieved. I went out and bought my Guild D-40. I still have it, and all the emotions of those times locked into the grain of its wood.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast