Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Mod of my Yamaha Pacifica Strat

Thread: Mod of my Yamaha Pacifica Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod of my Yamaha Pacifica Strat

Hello!

After having done a small mod to the 5-way-switch of my Yamaha Pacifica (2 SC, 1 HC) I thought of adding a switch for the different humbucker modes.

So, now I can switch the humbucker in three ways:

Position 1: Both Coils parallel (hum canceling)
    Position 2: Single coil (coil splitting)
    Position 3: Seriel coils (standard humbucking mode)

Position 1 and two just differ slightly. In position 1 there is almost a single coil sound but adding a little more punch and it is hum cancelling.

What do you have to do for this mod? At first you have to find out, if your humbucker has 4 wires that are required for this mod. The function of the four wires are:

1: Beginning of coil 1
    2: Ending of coil 1
    3: Beginning of coil 2
    4: Ending of coil 2

In normal serial humbucking mode wire 1 is the hot wire, 2 and 3 are connected and 4 is to ground. So the signal rans through both coils. If you put wire 3 and 2 to the ground, coil 2 ist shortcut and Coil 1 is acting as a single coil. If you connect wire 1 and 3, and put 2 and 4 to the ground, both coils work parallel.

The wires are of different colours, but there is no standard. So look at the home page of the manufacturer to get the description. If ther is no, get a multimeter, set it to measure impedance (Ohm). If you find a pair of wire that belongs to one coil, there is typically an impedance of 5 to 10. If they do not belong together, you don't get a value.

The easiest way is to use a small On/On/On switch like this. You can see the wiring diagramm at Rockinger. It's the fourth diagramm. Or you look at GuitarNuts. It's the last diagramm.

Last edited by Guitar-Chris; March 15th, 2009 at 07:45 AM.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Chris,

That is a great mod, thanks for posting. :

For my needs, I only need the series and parallel options. I've found that I don't like the coil cut that much, it doesn't sound much like a strat to me. And it is easier to find on/on switches than on/on/on switches.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar-Chris
    Hello!

After having done a small mod to the 5-way-switch of my Yamaha Pacifica (2 SC, 1 HC) I thought of adding a switch for the different humbucker modes.

So, now I can swith the humbucker in three ways:

Position 1: Both Coils parallel (hum canceling)
    Position 2: Single coil (coil splitting)
    Position 3: Seriel coils (standard humbucking mode)

Position 1 and two just differ slightly. In position 1 there is almost a single coil sound but adding a little more punch and it is hum cancelling.

What do you have to do for this mod? At first you have to find out, if your humbucker has 4 wires that are required for this mod. The function of the four wires are:

1: Beginning of coil 1
    2: Ending of coil 1
    3: Beginning of coil 2
    4: Ending of coil 2

In normal serial humbucking mode wire 1 ist the hot wire, 2 and 3 are connected and 4 is to ground. So the signal rans through both coils. If you put wire 3 and 2 to the ground, coil 2 ist shortcut and Coil 1 is acting as a single coil. If you connect wire 1 and 3, and put 2 and 4 to the ground, both coils work parallel.

The wires are of different colours, but there is no standard. So look at the home page of the manufacturer to get the description. If ther is no, get a multimeter, set it to measure impedance (Ohm). If you find a pair of wire that belongs to one coil, there is typically an impedance of 5 to 10. If they do not belong together, you don't get a value.

The easiest way is to use a small On/On/On switch like this. You can see the wiring diagramm at Rockinger. It's the fourth diagramm. Or you look at GuitarNuts. It's the last diagramm.

I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mod. It's possible to coil shunt a bridge humbucker in a fat strat directly on the 5 way. And no, you don't need a 4 pole super switch. Here's how. This is the way the Fender Lonestars are wired.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Nice mod. It's possible to coil shunt a bridge humbucker in a fat strat directly on the 5 way. And no, you don't need a 4 pole super switch.
    I know, because I had this wiring on my strat before. But you have to decide, what 5 variations you want. With an extra switch, you have many more options.

The standard of a Yamaha Pacifica 412V is:

1: Neck Pickup
    2: Neck with middle pickup
    3: Middle pickup
    4. Middle with bridge humbucker in single coil split mode
    5. Bridge pickup.

I changed the position 3 of my Pacifica:

3: Neck with bridge humbucker (!)

No I have 3 position, where the bridge humucker is engaged. And with the extra switch I have:

1: Neck Pickup
    2: Neck with middle pickup
    3a: Neck with bridge humbucker coil split
    3b: Neck with bridge humbucker parallel
    3c: Neck with bridge humbucker serial
    4a: Middle with bridge humbucker coil split
    4b: Middle with bridge humbucker parallel
    4c: Middle with bridge humbucker serial
    5a: Bridge pickup coil split
    5b: Bridge pickup parallel
    5c: Bridge pickup serial

That makes 11 different sounds. I like that extra switch because you can see the switching state. You can also switch the humbucker by a push/pull or a push/push potentiometer, but personally I don't like this version.

A nice alternative is to blend a humbucker from single coil to humbucking mode with a potentiometer.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work on that strat Christian! I wish that I could do stuff like that
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Awesome work on that strat Christian! I wish that I could do stuff like that
    That was not to difficult. I think anyone who knows on which side the soldering iron is getting hot can do that. The main difficulty is, that you have to solder the last wires inside the small electronic compartement of the guitar.
    Last edited by Guitar-Chris; March 15th, 2009 at 04:25 AM.
    Greetings

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar-Chris
    That was not to difficult. I think anyone who knows on which side the soldering iron is getting hot can do that. The mein difficulty is, that you have to solder the last wires inside the small electronic compartement of the guitar.
    ME + SOLDERING IRON = NOT A GOOD IDEA
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

That's some job there. :

I put a super switch on my Carvin Bolt with an HSH setup so the #3 gives me both the bridge and the neck buckers together. That's the only thing I did there. I'm not too crazy about coil splitting and phasing, it's over my head.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____