Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Bringing a pickup back to life?

Thread: Bringing a pickup back to life?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bringing a pickup back to life?

I've got my old '62 Jazzmaster bridge pickup I'd like to try and resurrect it from the dead if possible. Any suggestions about how I should go about doing so?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you could have it rewound ?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I've got my old '62 Jazzmaster bridge pickup I'd like to try and resurrect it from the dead if possible.
    Do you know what killed it?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Found a link for ya: http://www.guitarattack.com/winder.htm . The guy on the site rebuilds some pickups, and builds his own pickup winder on the cheap.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Two things to check...if you haven't already done so.

First, check the pickup for resistance with a VOM. If you show resistance within the normal k-ohm parameters (about 5.5k-7.0k), then try the next step:

Check the fine wire ends of the winding where they attach to the fiber base (where the wire leads are soldered). Sometimes, the winding ends breaks loose and you lose contact. I had this happen to a pickup recently and I was able to carefully solder it back in place.

These are pretty obvious things to look for and you may have already checked them.

Another case in point: I had a SC pickup that I installed in a Strat as part of a set of three. This pickup (middle) made a loud humming noise after I installed it. I checked the solder joint and it appeared ok. I pulled the pickup and checked it with the VOM. It read 6.4k, which was exactly what it sould have read. I re-installed it and the same loud humming noise was there again. I put another pickup in instead. It really bugged me that the pickup wouldn't work. I tested it on the VOM and I clearly had continuity...but it didn't work. Well, just this weekend I tried the pickup again in another guitar. I was extra careful to make sure I has a good, clean, uncontaminated hot solder joint. When I plugged the guitar in, voila, it worked fine. So, it wasn't the pickup after all, it was human error...my human error.

If the above suggestions don't help any, there may be a break in the middle of the coil somewhere. If that's the case, then only rewinding will fix it. So if you're faced with that, it's time to dig up an old Singer sewing machine and do some junkyard engineering on your pickup...