Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to Guitar Center on Saturday

Post Thanks / Like

Default Went to Guitar Center on Saturday

I played a bunch of strats and teles on Saturday at Guitar Center (my first GC visit by the way). I played both MIMs and USA models and was very disappointed in the workmanship. I had heard that Fenders were hit or miss and I saw it with my own eyes. Are you really expected to have to do major fret work after dropping $1200 or more for a USA made Fender? The fret ends were all sharp on the strats -- the tele fretwork was better. All I could think was that GC put the blems out on the floor since they know they're going to get beat up. If that's the case, I would understand.

I have to say the nicest playing guitar with the best workmanship that I played was an Indonesian Schecter (I forget the model). They are not really my style but I was impressed by the workmanship. If I played metal , I would definitely look at that brand.
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Your experience with the guitars was quite revealing wasn't it?

The big names don't seem to cut it anymore and the Indo made guitar impressed you just like the Agile LP I had did.

I'm glad I went Carvin. USA made and quality to boot without the ridiculous price.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the same experience. Most of the new Fenders I've tried have been crap. Poorly put together, poorly finished, not set up properly. I would never buy a new guitar from GC. They've been coasting on their name for decades.

Without exception, every Schecter I've played has been well made, well finished and well setup despite the country of origin. Schecter quality control is excellent. I would have no problem buying one of them.

The one Carvin I tried was excellent. Well made and perfectly finished. I returned it for other reasons.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by scgmhawk
    I played a bunch of strats and teles on Saturday at Guitar Center (my first GC visit by the way). I played both MIMs and USA models and was very disappointed in the workmanship. I had heard that Fenders were hit or miss and I saw it with my own eyes. Are you really expected to have to do major fret work after dropping $1200 or more for a USA made Fender? The fret ends were all sharp on the strats -- the tele fretwork was better. All I could think was that GC put the blems out on the floor since they know they're going to get beat up. If that's the case, I would understand.

I have to say the nicest playing guitar with the best workmanship that I played was an Indonesian Schecter (I forget the model). They are not really my style but I was impressed by the workmanship. If I played metal , I would definitely look at that brand.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

One tech from my area always gripes about Fender fret sprout. It's an easy fix, but it still shouldn't be there in the first place. I've noticed it when I happen to pick one up too. It's not "shred my hands" sharp, but it's enough to be very annoying on a guitar that you would drop a grand on.

In the interest of full disclosure, my Korean-made Fender has absolutely no fret sprout at all. My Floyd will develop a tiniest bit of it when it is very cold and dry out. It's so insignificant to me that it's not worth fixing, IMO. My Spector is sprout-free too.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know, it is interesting. When I was shopping for my first electric in late '06, I was looking mostly at MIM's and especially the 60th Anniversary one, and the Highway Ones. I did not find fret sprout on any of the ones I tried. In fact the neck on my guitar is one of the things I love the most. I wonder if things have changed since then. I have not looked at any new Fenders in a while.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I think PRS is by far the best American made guitar. Which would make it one of the best guitars made.

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn't played a Fender in a while. I grew up with a Stratocaster in the 70's and 80's and loved it (and sold it ). Anyway, I've read on line that the QC is hit or miss. I suppose with any large production operation you're going to have that issue. Believe me when I say I'm not speaking for every Fender guitar, obviously! I guess just "buyer beware" if you don't have a chance to play it first.

That being said, I really want to play one of the new Charvel So Cals. Very cool looking and Fender is parent company. I've seen good reviews.
    -Steve

Guitars: Carvin BoltPlus-T, Floyd Rose DST-3, Xaviere XV870, Fender Acoustic
    Amp: Vox AD50VT 212, V-Amp 2
    Pedals/Effects: Wasabi Overdrive, HellBabe Wah, Digitech Hot Head, Danelectro Fab Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rx Tone
    I think PRS is by far the most overpriced American made guitar. Which would make it one of the best guitars made.
    Fixed:
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I posted pretty much the same comment from my first visit 2 weeks ago to GC, then this weekend I went to a store closer to home with their new FENDER MIM stock that had arrived. I found a little better quailty in what they had and no sharp fret ends on the 3 that I tried. Fender's big price increase is not something that indicates improvements in their line. IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    Fixed:

oh, you can't afford one, huh?...well, they're generally only owned by serious players with discerning taste who know what to look for and can recognize a quality guitar anyway.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Is that what you PRS tell yourselves
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Is that what you PRS tell yourselves
    You have to. Otherwise, how do you justify that price tag? :

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's called "craftsmanship" and attention to detail.
    Some people prefer laminated plywood toy guitars with fotoflame tops..and some people prefer the real thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rx Tone
    oh, you can't afford one, huh?...well, they're generally only owned by serious players with discerning taste who know what to look for and can recognize a quality guitar anyway.

:
    I'm just joking with you man. I have paid more for guitars. I would put my Modulus or Heritage 535 up against any current PRS I've played. PRS still makes a great guitar. I just can't justify spending that much on a CNC made guitar (Gibson and Fender are in the same boat). It's all subjective. I think PRS has a great marketing department.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just joking with you man. I have paid more for guitars. I would put my Modulus or Heritage 535 up against any current PRS I've played. PRS still makes a great guitar. I just can't justify spending that much on a CNC made guitar (Gibson and Fender are in the same boat). It's all subjective. I think PRS has a great marketing department.

I know, bro..I'm joking too..I think this is the funniest thread of the day.

Post Thanks / Like

I just can't justify spending that much on a CNC made guitar (Gibson and Fender are in the same boat).
    Not to be an a$$, but what's wrong with CNC? If the wood selection is good, and the machine programming is good, you're looking at great consistancy. A guitar doesn't have to be hand carved and rubbed to be a great one. I see nothing wrong with CNC guitars.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scgmhawk
    ... Anyway, I've read on line that the QC is hit or miss. I suppose with any large production operation you're going to have that issue. ....
    Another issue with poor quality control is that people who do buy a good one pay for all the ones rejected by customers that are sent back - Fender, or whomever, is not going to wear those costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Not to be an a$$, but what's wrong with CNC? If the wood selection is good, and the machine programming is good, you're looking at great consistancy. A guitar doesn't have to be hand carved and rubbed to be a great one. I see nothing wrong with CNC guitars.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Nothing is wrong with CNC. It should be turning out a very good and consistent product. As an owner of two Gibsons and three USA Fenders I feel comfortable stating that quality can vary greatly on these instruments. Also, CNC was implemented as a cost cutting mechanism yet the consumer is not seeing any cut in cost. I'm not trying to insult anyone as I own CNC guitars too. I just feel that there are better guitars for the money.
    Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast