Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Which one of these 2 amps would you pick? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Both cost $599. You have $599 to spend. Which one would you buy and why?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Peavey Classic 30 for $599.

25 92.59%
  • A Fender Blues Junior for $599.

2 7.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which one of these 2 amps would you pick?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    The main negative you hear about is tube rattle, which can happen, but has not been a particular problem for me.
    Tom's Tube Tamer fixes that for older C30s. The new ones don't need it.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep, I have a Tom's tube tamer. Like I said, not an issue for me, and does not in any way change my answer. Strum, I play mine at house volumes all the time, and while I am not really opening the amph when I do that, it sounds darn good, articulate, and warm to me for my home playing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Yep, I have a Tom's tube tamer. Like I said, not an issue for me, and does not in any way change my answer. Strum, I play mine at house volumes all the time, and while I am not really opening the amph when I do that, it sounds darn good, articulate, and warm to me for my home playing.
    Interesting. I know you read a lot of times that there is a loss of quality when you are not turning some tube amps up. I came close to buying one a while back, but I was concerned that it might be "too much" amp for the little room and I would lose some of the quality of tone.

I'll keep that in mind if a deal comes around.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you are really looking for a truly bedroom amph, I think the Blackheart Little Giant might beat it. But that is not what the thread is about.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Interesting. I know you read a lot of times that there is a loss of quality when you are not turning some tube amps up. I came close to buying one a while back, but I was concerned that it might be "too much" amp for the little room and I would lose some of the quality of tone.

I'll keep that in mind if a deal comes around.
    I'd support that theory. My Peavey Ultra is double the classic 30's power and it's too loud for a townhouse with the master volume anything above 1.5. It still sounds good down there, in fact it's the usable low volume tone of the Peavey that made me pick it over a Fender Hod Rod some 15 odd years ago, but on the occasions I've been able to crank it up, it sure sounds a whole lot better.

In the 15+ years I've owned the Ultra it's had one set of 6L6's and a fuse replaced, and now there is a heat related intermittent issue with the reverb not engaging until the amp warms up. (That I've been too lazy to fix..damn PCB amps...) 15 Years and 2 tubes and a fuse. Thats just awful reliability

Post Thanks / Like

Both amps are actually good amps. I've owned them both in the past. What I didn't like about the Blues Jr. is that volume control that Fender is famous for on their hotrod series...go from 0 to 4 and it really jumps.

Both have their own unique sound and both are credible quality amps. Personally, I've always liked Fender amps but own a Peavey Delta Blues 210 right now.

Both are also reputable, quality companies that often get trashed by people who obviously have neither played either.

As far as Fender's thinking with their price increases? I have NO IDEA what they were thinking.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Peavey is much more for the $$$

Post Thanks / Like

Classic 30 is the only Peavy amp I ever cared for. Very nice. In any case, $600 is way too much for either box in my opinion. Best musician I ever worked with plays the Blues Junior and he wrings that thing out; for me playing I would do the C30. Remember those absolutely horrible Peavy solid-state bass amps and cabs from the 'eighties? That's pretty much what I will always think of the stuff from Meridian.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take the C30, too. Of course, I have one (and a C20) and love it. To me it boils down to bang for the buck and I find the Peavey wins there every time. I like the BJ, but just not for that kind of money.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

BJr is $600 ?? Is it wired with gold wire or what ??

I had a BJr for $400 and it was a good amp, took pedals very well. Now at that price I'll take the Peavey C30.

EDIT: now I feel better about spending $899 for the Alchemist 112.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    No, they're not $600! I'm not sure why this poll got set up that way!!

The standard model (black tolex, Eminence speaker) typically goes for $500 and the upscale NOS Tweed version with an upgraded Jensen speaker is $579. Best Buy is listing the standard model for $449, which is what a new one went for a couple of years back when I bought mine used on eBay.

Because this has been a big seller for Fender for many years now, it's quite easy to find used ones in good to excellent condition for $300 - $350. And they're easily modified with relatively inexpensive kits to improve their tone, which is quite good to begin with. The "boxiness" label that is often hung on this little amp is markedly reduced with just a couple of cap changes.

BTW, if you're a home player like many of us, 30W is really too much power in a tube amp. I had a Peavey Delta Blues for a while--essentially the same amp as the Classic 30 but with onboard tremolo and a 15" speaker--and it sounded great but was just too freakin' loud in my "man cave".
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

This one is $579 - http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ELAID=44750936

The point wasn't the exact current price, but which you would pick if those were the prices the day you walked in to the store, being in amp-buying mode.

Interesting to see that the Peavey Classic won this poll with a landslide.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd buy both on Craig's list. My BJr. was 275, so that leaves me 300 for a Peavey!

Post Thanks / Like

Classic 30 Hands down~
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Mentioned this in another thread, but in Chicago currently, you buy a BJr, brand new, black, for $375.00

Still, I'm intriqued by the C30, although, to DVM's point, you're never gonna use that power at home.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman

I had a BJr for $400 and it was a good amp, took pedals very well. Now at that price I'll take the Peavey C30.

EDIT: now I feel better about spending $899 for the Alchemist 112.

Those amps are not in the same league of the bogner
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Yes it is. And THIS ONE is $450. Though it normally sells for $500 most places, it can usually be found for less. The one for $579 is an upgraded version, not the base model.

The point wasn't the exact current price, but which you would pick if those were the prices the day you walked in to the store, being in amp-buying mode.
    Begging your pardon, but the poll offers two choices: A Peavey Classic 30 for $599 or a Fender Blues Junior for $599. The difference is that one actually sells at that price and one doesn't. Sorry if I'm being a stickler for accuracy, but that's how I'm wired.

Interesting to see that the Peavey Classic won this poll with a landslide.
    And I wonder how the results would have come out if the Blues Junior had been listed at it's proper price. I agree that the Peavey is the better overall value, and that Fender gets some extra $$ just for their name. I just don't think the Blues Junior got a fair shake in this poll.

We're obviously not going to agree on this, so let's stop arguing....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Was the blues jr. $599 CAD in March of 2009 when the poll was made?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64
    Was the blues jr. $599 CAD in March of 2009 when the poll was made?
    I honestly don't remember, but I would assume so - that must have been why I added the poll. I think I referred to whatever most expensive variant of the Blues JR available at the time.

DVM, this poll is very outdated and doesn't reflect the prices today. So it's not fair to the Blues JR - I agree with you buddy.

Kind of pointless to bring this old thread back to life, eh?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12