Thread: AGILE AL3100 GUITAR REVIEW 1 to 5

Post Thanks / Like

Default AGILE AL3100 GUITAR REVIEW 1 to 5

Here s a pretty good 5 parts review on a LP style Agile guitar..

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.....
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I love watching stuff like this........... I didn't know GFS pickups came in Agile guitars, is that true?
    My only gripe was when they finally got around to playing it.............
    it could've used more cowbell!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

That was pretty interesting, I'm thinking of using the same colour combination on my "Malmsteen yellow" SG. In the first video he mentioned the pickups were 7.4 and 8.1 ohms. I think he meant 7.4K and 8.1K. Also he mentioned the pots were linear taper. They should be log taper ("A-type" pots) if he's talking about volume. Otherwise good vid.

Oldguy, I'm pretty sure they swapped out the stock bridge pickup and put the GFS in. Personally, I thought it sounded a bit too trebly.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    ..... In the first video he mentioned the pickups were 7.4 and 8.1 ohms. I think he meant 7.4K and 8.1K.
    Spot on. No way they'd be 7.1 Ohms.

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    Also he mentioned the pots were linear taper. They should be log taper ("A-type" pots) if he's talking about volume. Otherwise good vid......
    Maybe, maybe not. There have been a few guys post here that they have guitars with linear pots for volume. I certainly agree they -should- be log pots though.

Post Thanks / Like

I think log pots would give a more natural-sounding increase and decrease in volume, at least that's what I've noticed.
    Back to the OT, that is a nice looking guitar, so nice in fact I ordered some ivory pickup rings and gold bell knobs for my ivory-coloured SG today.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Default It looks great, but...

...I don't see a AL-3100 in white per the vid, listed at www.rondomusic.com

Toss in a coupla Van Zandt 'True Buckers'...

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln
    ...I don't see a AL-3100 in white per the vid, listed at www.rondomusic.com
    Colors and even models sell out at Rondo all the time and only reappear months later (if at all) when the next order arrives from Korea.

Post Thanks / Like

7.4k and 8.1K is correct for the stock pickups, and they're Agiles, not GFS. From the way the guitars owner said it in the third review, he must have changed the pickups after the first two reviews had been done.

From what I heard in the last two reviews (sounds), I think he lost tone by switching pickups. The stock pickups actually sound quite good, better IMHO than what he has in there now. But, I heard the stock pickups through a Ceriatone Overtone Special, and a Epi Blues Custom 30 which are both better amps than what he was using. So, it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

When I first looked at the still picture of the bridge, I thought, "it's in backwards", until the tech explained that the bridge had been changed.

The AL 3100 is a really good deal in an LP copy IMO, but the AL3100M with the full 3/4" maple cap - even in plain maple with chrome hardware - is better. I'm not much of a gold hardware guy anyway, and I'd take tone over glitter as in 3/4" plain maple cap over flamed maple veneer if those are the choices (if you can find one...they don't stay in stock very long).
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Colors and even models sell out at Rondo all the time and only reappear months later (if at all) when the next order arrives from Korea.
    ...or reappear right AFTER you have just made another guitar pruchase. Uncanny how that always happens to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm all the videos have been removed. Wonder what that's all about?