Thread: Fender pickup id woes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender pickup id woes

I've just had my strat apart for rewiring. I thought while I was in there I'd be able to find out just what pickups were installed. Boy, was I wrong. The only part number on the pickups is 016730. A bit of research has told me that this is the part number for the bobbins, not the pickup : . A Google search brings up virtually every Fender guitar with alnico pickups using plastic flatware. Oh well, I suppose we'll never know...
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Take a pic...measure them with a multimeter...that MIGHT shed some light?

Post Thanks / Like

Got the meter readings, 6.5K bridge, 6.2K middle and 6.0K neck. It seems they're generic A5 staggered pickups like they fit to the MIM Classics. they might have used them in US standards for a while too but I seem to remember those being flat poles. I'm replacing the bridge with a Duncan SSL-6 for a bit more punch without going down the humbucker route.

If anyone is thinking of emailing Fender support with that part number I'd say don't bother.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Mark but what is the Strat's year and model. Also are you thinking that they are not the stock pickups?
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a 1994 Special Edition. This was a Fender Europe series of limited runs in '93, '94 and '95 and there is virtually no information available. The guitar is almost stock US Standard apart from the finish. I'm 90% sure they are the original pickups so given the outputs I'd say they were just US Std pickups apart from the stagger. Anyone got a mid-90's Std? Are your original pickups staggered?

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried to contact Fender - consumerrelations@fender.com - give them the serial number and ask for any info they might have - it can't hurt. :

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal