Quote Originally Posted by ShortBuSX
Looks like more than just bicycle chains, looks like several different types of chain links.

If you are using a new chain, it shouldnt rust...most chains come with a coating to prevent rust, like a gun metal type finish and nicer quality chains will come nickel plated. Id only worry bout rust if you sweat like a heavy rain...but Id worry more about the pedals if that was the case.

PS, when you buy a new bicycle chain, its usually necisarry to cut it down to length to fit...and you usually have a 3" piece left over...perfect for this...you might even talk a bike shop into giving you these scraps for nothin. OR upgrade your kids bike for less than $20 and save the pieces...your kid will be stoaked and your spouse will be none the wiser.
I change out my chain once or twice a season on my MTB. I am sure I could get a supply of the links from the cutting down process. I am now a bit torn about whether I want to screw them down like that, because it is harder to move them around. Also, the connnectors I have probably don't work well with that sort of connection. I may do it to my wah, and hold some of the others down with some sort of bungie or rubber bands like Tone does. Tone, where are you getting you bands and how are you getting the rubber bands through the board? I can't really get an idea of what they look like from your pics.