Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 Albums that shaped you

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 5 Albums that shaped you

Over on facebook, folks are picking 5 albums that shaped you and I thought it might be fun to do here. I added in the comments 3 more I wanted to fit in the 5. So here are the 5 I listed, and the 3 runners up. Please list your five and up to 3 runners up (no more, or it gets to be just an endless favorites list).

1. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John
    2. Boston - Boston
    3. 1962-1966 (red album) - Beatles
    4. U2- Under a Blood Red Sky, Live
    5. Clash - Combat Rock.

___Runners up

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
    VanHalen, VanHalen
    Gratitude - Earth, Wind & Fire

This is not a favorite albums list. I tried to pick ones that impacted my life in some way. These are the ones I listened to most and/or changed my directions in musical taste in some way. I could list way more, but then the point of the exercise is lost. So what say you guys?

EDIT: I am also going to add that I went back on Facebook and changed my list, swapping in Gratitude by EWF and bumping Combat Rock. Only because I am trying to answer really honestly, and though Combat Rock did get me into punk (that is why I picked it and not London Calling, which I now like better than Combat Rock), and I have listened to like music ever since, EWF was more of a shaping influence in my earlier years.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; March 23rd, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Since I did three of the "5 Albums that Shaped Me" lists on Facebook, I'll do a compilation with comentary.

Okay, here are mine:

1. Transmutation (Mutatis Mutandis) by Praxis; the first album I heard Buckethead play.

2. El Rayo-X by David Lindley. Introduced me to David Lindley

3. Vol. 4 by Black Sabbath. I used to listen to this for hours when I was a jaded teen metal head.

4. Lyle Lovett and His Large Band by Lyle Lovett. Made country music "acceptable" for me.

5. The Wall by Pink Floyd. David Gilmour made me want to play guitar.

Runners up:

1. Nevermind by Nirvana (killed hair metal/shred gutar dead which, at the time, was a good thing)

2. Guitar Town by Steve Earle (Further indoctrination into C&W)

3. Born Again by Black Sabbath. Yet another of my jaded teen era guilty pleasures. I'd put this cassette on and skip rope to build up my endurance for wrestling when I was in high school.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Beatles - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    Yes - Fragile
    Deep Purple - Who Do We Think We Are
    Robin Trower - Bridge Of Sighs
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

I think that's right

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm......geez.......are we different or what??? These albums shaped my musical taste to the guitar more than anything else
    In no particular order:

SRV debut album......Just brilliant....The Renaissance after The Dark Ages as it were.

ABB---Eat a Peach.....First there's Duane slidin'; then the twin lead guitars (side by side) churning it all up; without ABB to spur it on, would there have ever been Southern rock as we know it?

SANTANA debut album......the intro to the genius that is Carlos Santana

George Thorogood--Move It On Over-----proved that the debut was no fluke and showcased that his blues/rock playing could work just as well on country-ish tunes.

C,S,N & Y-----DEJA VU/4 WAY STREET-----yeah, I know it's TWO albums but taken as a combined unit it displayed the awesome and varied talents of Stephen Stills as an outstanding guitarist. Scorching yet creamy smooth electric leads and quite dazzling on acoustic too.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Leave Home by The Ramones - I practically played this one into the ground when I was in high school. There was a long stretch during one of my high school years where this album (and the other three first Ramones albums) were the only things I listened to.

2. Abbey Road by The Beatles - The first Beatles album I ever got and a record I played endlessly. All I ever wanted to be when I grew up was George Harrison.

3. Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. - I didn't really like or understand jazz when I was a teenager but for some reason I always liked this record. I think it was hard for me to get into other jazz at the time because it didn't sound like that.

4. Moving Pictures by Rush. - This was the first album I ever bought with my own money when I got my own stereo. I couldn't get enough of it. I thought it was the greatest thing ever. I still think it's a pretty damn good album.

5. American Beauty by The Grateful Dead - This was my intro to the Dead. There isn't really a way to accurately describe how much things changed for me after that. I have never looked at music the same way again.

SVL got to give a few honorable mentions so I will give but one. My first exposure to Tom Waits was Rain Dogs. It was not only the first time I heard Waits but the first time I heard Marc Ribot. Nothing's been the same since.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython
    Hmmmmmm......geez.......are we different or what???
    Absolutely! I have more extensive lists around here somewhere that track the development of my taste or favorites list, but to boil it down to what albums (not bands, not songs, albums) shaped me, these rose to the top. Obviously when you were raised makes a big difference, and now that I have had many more years to discover more, I like a broader spectrum, and love all those you posted too. That is why the question is interesting to me, if one sticks strictly to the question.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

R_of_G, I really wanted to include a jazz album, since I do love jazz, and have a long time. But I couldn't truly find one jazz album that was a huge influence in shaping me. At least in my earlier life. I love that Coltrane album though. Ditto the Ramones, I would love to have listed them, but The Clash, Combat rock brought me to the Ramones, and not the other way around.

Tung, "Nevermind" was a big influence in my adult years. I was in my late 20's when it came out, and being a Tacoman, I have always related to it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

1. Beatles: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band
    2. Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood
    3. Jimi Hendrix - Axis Bold As Love
    4. Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
    5. America - Greatest Hits
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    R-of_G, I really wanted to include a jazz album, since I do love jazz, and have a long time. But I couldn't truly find one jazz album that was a huge influence in shaping me. At least in my earlier life. I love that Coltrane album though. Ditto the Ramones, I would love to have listed them, but The Clash, Combat rock brought me to the Ramones, and not the other way around.
    I'm not a big fan of jazz, but if I had to pick one or two, I'd have to say either Guitar by Sonny Sharrock or Ask the Ages by Pharaoh Sanders and Sonny Sharrock.

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Tung, "Nevermind" was a big influence in my adult years. I was in my late 20's when it came out, and being a Tacoman, I have always related to it.
    For me, there was something liberating about "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Not the pinnacle of guitar playing, but there was something raw and emotional about it: something honest.

I was in my late 20s as well when it came out as well. It reminds me of a very happy period in my life: I had just met my future wife to be, I was in grad school, finally learning something that was interesting to me. I had just quit my crappy college job and all I had to do was go to class, study and turn in papers. Good times.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, the "Nevermind" through "Vs." years were good for me too. I had finished law school, met my wife to be, had disposable income and no real responsibility. Fun times!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; March 23rd, 2009 at 03:31 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

#1 - Electric Ladyland's, 1983..., this was my first heavy trip 'without any outside help', into what music was all about.

#2 - The Doors - Starts off with the best album opener of all time, Break On Through, and doesn't let up 'until The End'. My top band for a year+ during my 'wonder years', until Jimi.

#3 - Led Zeppelin II - After hearing Whole Lotta Love on the radio, it was obvious something new was afoot.

#4 - Black Sabbath, the group, the album, the song.

#5 - Tie, between the first Dust, and Captain Beyond LPs, and Ted Nugent's - Call Of The Wild. All were favorites to blow minds of those yet to know.

Runner's up - Jimi's Woodstock masterpiece, The Star Spangled Banner, or BOG's Machine Gun.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still being shaped, but here goes (not in any particular order)

The Beatles early releases all played a role, but the one with a real kick

1) Rubber Soul - The Beatles
    2) Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
    3) My Aim is True - Elvis Costello
    4) London Calling - The Clash
    5) From The Cradle - Eric Clapton

Too many runner-ups to mention.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Harvest - Neil Young
    The Queen Is Dead - The Smiths
    Surfa Rosa -The Pixies
    Let it Bleed- The Stones
    Wish You Were Here - The Floyd...man

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a cooler list, but these albums are "turning points" for me:

1) Troops Of Tomorrow - The Exploited. This was the first punk album I bought (I missed the first wave). IIRC I was 12 years old.

2) Holy Diver - Dio. The first "HM" album I bought. It took a while to get into it, but once I did it never left the cassette deck.

3) Sketches Of Spain - Miles Davis. I'd been turned on to "jazz" by a friend, and although I wasn't the biggest fan of the genre, kept buying stuff from noisy ol' Ornette Coleman to muzak-ey Lyle Mays. In reality it's a tie between Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain and Pat Metheny's Still Life Talking, but S.O.S is the album I bought twice.

4) Apocalypse 91 - Public Enemy. The first rap album I bought. I'm pretty sure PE was the catalyst for me getting into drum'n'bass in my 20's.

5) Ágætis byrjun - Sigur Ros. As a genre, "post-rock" is pretty generic sounding stuff, but this band and Mogwai seem to stand out from the crowd.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Abbey Road-The Beatles
    Scarecrow-John Mellencamp
    Highway Star- Deep Purple
    House of The Rising Sun- The Animals
    One -Three Dog Night

Their not in order but it gives you an idea of my warped mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how to interpret the word 'Shaped’, whether it's emotionally, socially, or musically... but all of these albums had some type of influence on me.

Outlandos d'Amour - The Police
    Frantic City - Teenage Head
    London Calling - The Clash
    Fully Completely - The Tragically Hip
    Scarecrow - John Mellencamp
    Last edited by Algonquin; March 24th, 2009 at 06:52 AM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Here are the albums I played the most growing up.

1) Aerosmith (1st album) BAY STATE ROCKERS RULE!
    2) Led Zeppelin II
    3) Toto (1st album)
    4) Beatles: White Album
    5) Pink Floyd: Dark Side Of The Moon

Runners Up:
    1) Rush: 2112
    2) Boston (1st album)
    3) Moody Blues: Days Of The Future Past
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'd have to say these 5 did it for me:

(pronounced leh-nerd skin-nerd) – Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Bridge of Sighs – Robin Trower
    The Captain and Me – The Doobie Brothers
    Fandango – ZZ Top
    Casting Crowns - Casting Crowns

There were countless others. Many times, it was a single song by an artist that turned me in the direction I took. I like Led Zeppelin (OK, who doesn't?), but "The Immigrant Song" was the first Zep song I ever heard and one of the earliest "rock" songs I ever heard and I wore out a record playing that one over and over. I didn't start collecting albums until late high school. Before then it was 45's and compilation albums.
    Last edited by bigoldron; March 24th, 2009 at 08:18 PM.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    I'm not a big fan of jazz, but if I had to pick one or two, I'd have to say either Guitar by Sonny Sharrock or Ask the Ages by Pharaoh Sanders and Sonny Sharrock.
    Those are both phenomenal albums and I listen to both quite a lot. Pretty much all of Sonny Sharrock's work has had a tremendous effect on me, but keeping in line with SVL's original post, I'm not sure I'd have ever listened to Sonny's stuff or Pharoah Sanders or a lot of other people I listen to all the time now had it not been for Kind of Blue. It's not my favorite jazz album, or even my favorite Miles album, but without it, it's possible I'd never have listened to others. It opened the door for me. If we do another "change your av" month, I'll do my favorite jazz albums.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast