Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
Can't hurt to change the buffer trannies, though the pinout on the MPSA18 (which is what I've used in all my TS clones) is different, as you mentioned. Just leave the legs a bit long and bend them around carefully to avoid contact between them, and you shouldn't have any problem. I recently did the same thing to change from higher gain trannies to mid-range ones in another distortion pedal, and it worked fine. I'll be interested to hear if you discern any improvement from the switch.
I've done it. There is almost no difference until the DRIVE knob is turned up about 2/3, but after that the difference is audible. It's not a huge difference, the background noise is still there, but IMHO it's definitely an improvement. Which is great for me, because I'm using only single-coil guitars (mostly a Telecaster) and I can use all the breaks I can get from the hum. I'll probably shield the pickup and controls cavities as well in the near future.

The change is probably not worth it at all for people using humbuckers or noiseless single coils, but it did make a difference, albeit small, for me. YMMV.