Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Which is your favorite Stratocaster pickup setting playing dirty?

View Poll Results: Which is your favorite Stratocaster pickup setting playing dirty?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bridge

8 30.77%
  • Bridge/Middle

9 34.62%
  • Middle

1 3.85%
  • Middle/Neck

2 7.69%
  • Neck

3 11.54%
  • Neck/Bridge

3 11.54%
  • Neck/Middle/Bridge

0 0%

Thread: Which is your favorite Stratocaster pickup setting playing dirty?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which is your favorite Stratocaster pickup setting playing dirty?

I figure I had to make to make 2 polls since playing distorted is an entirely different sound and feel.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I like the middle/bridge position with that nice Strat "quack" to give a distinctive dirty tone. I've noticed the quack is quite a bit more emphatic with the Texas Specials than it was with the Lace Sensors I had in my Strat previously.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a bridge guy all the way. Since I like to incorporate pinched harmonics, squeals, and feedback its really the only position I can use that lets me play my 80s tunes properly.

I do like the neck for tapping though... thick, mean, & clean!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

I actually like the middle pickup. I run them wide open without a tone control on all my Strats, which gives them a big, midrangy tone with a quack all it's own and great pinch harmonics as well.

I used to consider the middle pickup as useless except in combination with the bridge and neck. I was reading an article in Guitar Player once about the band Free. The song All Right Now was actually played on a Strat's middle pickup. There was another article once about a Steely Dan song that was similarly intriguing.That really got me curious and started me on tweaking and playing with middle pickup Strat tone until I found usable tones. By moving the tone control from the middle pickup to the neck, it not only made the middle pickup usable, but it also really enhanced the quack on the #2 & #4 positions as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    I actually like the middle pickup. I run them wide open without a tone control on all my Strats, which gives them a big, midrangy tone with a quack all it's own and great pinch harmonics as well.

I used to consider the middle pickup as useless except in combination with the bridge and neck. I was reading an article in Guitar Player once about the band Free. The song All Right Now was actually played on a Strat's middle pickup. There was another article once about a Steely Dan song that was similarly intriguing.That really got me curious and started me on tweaking and playing with middle pickup Strat tone until I found usable tones. By moving the tone control from the middle pickup to the neck, it not only made the middle pickup usable, but it also really enhanced the quack on the #2 & #4 positions as well.
    Funny that you mention that. I NEVER use the middle pickup alone. I just never found it useful by itself but love it mixed with the neck & bridge. Maybe I'll stop being stubborn and give it another go.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably more out of "habit" I've used the bridge pickup the most when soloing. I pretty much got used to doing that after having so many guitar teachers as a kid drumming into my head to use the bridge pup. Old habits die hard
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

All of the above. Is there any other way? By the way...what is "clean?"

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Usually neck but I also wanted to do a middle vote. I really like the middle pickup sound now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I like the middle/bridge position with that nice Strat "quack" to give a distinctive dirty tone. I've noticed the quack is quite a bit more emphatic with the Texas Specials than it was with the Lace Sensors I had in my Strat previously.
    I'm with you, DVM. Maybe because my strat has the Tex Mex pups. I also think it is a little more full sounding if I add the middle to the bridge.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Darnit I messed up on my poll answer

Bridge all the way. Although I really dont use my Strat for heavy distortion, thats what my Ibanez AS73 with double humbucking goodness is for
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

heck I just looked and I meant to vote for Bridge/Middle guess I failed the frickin quiz also... High Commander: please move my vote to the correct tab
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a neck on switch for my pups on my strat (its a push/pull vol. pot) and I use that to get a really really FULL sound. I can also go bridge/neck, and thats also a killer sound. Once I get my two new pups, that guitar - with all its mods - will be complete. I like the bridge when its really dirty, but I also like the neck when there is just a little grit in the channel

Post Thanks / Like

Bridge+Middle with the tone control in ZERO (no treble). I like this Woman Tone alike sound

@ Bloozcat: Can you show us a wiring schematic of your strat? I am very interested in trying doing your "trick"
    MY GEAR:
    Guitars: Gibson ES-335, Tokai LS160s LP, Rockinger strat 2-tone sunburst, Rockinger tele C.A.R., NS Custom Relic Tele, Epiphone Jeff Baxter electroacoustic, Admira classical guitar
    Amps: Fender Deluxe Reverb II, Tech21 TM30
    Main Effects Unit:
    VOX Tonelab SE

My Band:
    http://www.blackframe.gr

Personal Myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/eliasavdikos

Post Thanks / Like

I picked neck-middle, rolling off tone as required. My Strat has the S1 system, so I also use the neck with S-1 engaged, which gives me a very cool and slight quack, not as pronounced as the middle/neck, but quite a bit more so than the neck alone. I love the S-1 options, also in the middle spot. Can't really count my bridge pickup as it's a Fatstrat, so that's a humbucker spot.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the last time I voted I said bridge. Since then, I've been using the neck pickup more and more. I like the fatter sound and better sustain I'm getting out of the neck pup.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.