Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How Thick's Your Pick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Power
    Wow, I am blown away by the rampant use of "thick picks"!

My instructor has told me previously, "the thicker the better" and I have tended to disagree (mostly out of ignorance). My experimentation with pick thicknesses since picking up the guitar in January of this year are leading me to wander which pick is best for my current scenario. My lone axe at this point is a steel string acoustic and it SEEMS that the thicker picks produce a duller sound. Is this correct? Having said that the thinner picks I've tried .73 and under seem "floppy" though very quick on the attack.

Thanks for the interesting thread though guys!: Always great to come here and read of new ideas, theories & experiences.
    I prefer medium thickness to heavy thickness for acoustic playing and you can alter the brighter tones from the guitar by playing on the fat flatter end of the pick instead of the pointy end. Fat flatter end perpendicular to the strings when strummed make the guitar's brightness come through with shimmer.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a couple sets of the Dunlop ultex, mainly because of recommendations here. I have been using Fender medium celluloids (triangle shape, both tortoise and white, and has anybody else noticed that the tortoise and white produce slightly different tones?). I also use the Dunlop 2.0 stubbies from time to time.

Anyway, I got a set of the ultex .73's and a set of the 1.0's. So far I like them a lot and will take them to the jam tomorrow night to test them out live. They both give a nice crisp response, with the 1's giving a bit more bass.

I haven't taken the plunge to V-picks, mainly because of the price but also that clear thing makes me positive I will lose them!
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1mm GrippX-XB delrin picks from Intunegp.com for electric guitar and bass (!!!), yes i know i'm very odd using so thin picks for bass but i like the sound it gives and also how i feel the strings better through the pick (of course i play fingerstyle bass alot aswell). Same thing goes for electric really, i dont like thicker than 1mm because it makes me feel disconnected from the strings when i hit them. For acoustic i use .73 mm, same type of pick.

Post Thanks / Like

This may be interesting (or dumb on my part), but I've never bought a pick - ever. I'm from the old school when guitar shops had bowls of free picks sitting on the counter! When I got back into playing guitar seriously about 2 1/2 years ago, I was amazed that free picks were no longer the norm!

I've just always used "mediums" by whoever makes 'em. When I buy a guitar or a piece of gear locally, I'm always offered a few free picks, and asked what thickness. Mediums, says I, and I get 4 or 5 given to me.

I have tried thins - don't like 'em. Thicks either.

That's my story, but then again I'm an old fart, and paying for picks seems outrageous to me!
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the green and purple Clayton tortex picks and the 1.52 mm Clayton acetyl picks. The tortex have some snap to them and the acetyls are very round and full sounding.

=-) PJ

pes_laul Guest

I use the green dunlop tortex (88. mm I think) I want to try a V pick but cant get one Because I cant order stuff off internet (Im just a kid)

Post Thanks / Like

Been playing dunlop 207's and love
    the way they roll off the strings.
    s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

How thick is my pick? Sometimes mine feels as:

Sorry, late night free associational thought humour.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

1.14mm for pinch harmonics and solos.

yeeeahhs.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Lincoln, UK. Probably at the V-Power pump. Again!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys

Fairly new to guitaring, and have tried a fair few different picks, but nothing thicker than 1.0mm. So far I prefer Dunlop Gator Grips either .58 or .71mm.
    (My electric is on 10s, and my acoustic is on 11s, if that detail matters?!)

Cheerz

Mark H

Post Thanks / Like

just as a comparison...

i used to cheat with tremolo picking and use dunlop USA 0.38mm picks (the sub-paper-thin white ones, with i still use for some strummy/chordy stuff)

now ive evolved into using much larger picks (1.14mm-2.4mm) to get some real nice twang and some real nice pinch harmonics.

:
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?

Post Thanks / Like

I was persuaded by my guitar teacher to persist with the small jazz 3 Dunlops. At first I found them hard to use, as I tend to dig into the strings pretty hard. But Im so used to them now that any "normal" pick feels too weird.

Post Thanks / Like

The old Fender mediums

M29

Post Thanks / Like

dunlop 0.88mm. green. its the only way to go.

except sometimes for bass i use an enormous 3mm one. because i'm that cool.
    Guitars: Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, Ibanez Talman TC420, Guitar built by yours truly
    Pedals: Digitech DF7, Digitech EX7, Ibanez WH10, ZVEX Fuzz Factory, EHX The Worm, Arion DDM-1, Digitech XBW
    Amp: Marshall MG100HDFX + MG412
    www.myspace.com/ragnarpk

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use a Dunlop 1mm Blue for my guitar and bass but now have been starting to use a Dunlop .73 Yellow for my acoustic. Dunlop .88 Green for my electric and just using the 1mm Blue's for my bass.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently tried something a little different...I was using Clayton acetyl picks .80 and found them to be very bright sounding, so matter how I eq'd my amp. I went to a slightly thicker Fender Heavy pick and the tonal difference was VERY noticeable...no more of those super bright highs....more mellow. It's taking some getting used to using a thicker pick, but I prefer the tones I get with the Fender Heavy.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123