Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What is your favorite distortion pedal?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite distortion pedal?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is your favorite distortion pedal?

Name only one, and why it is your favorite.

For me, I am not sure. Probably my Maxon SD-9 because it can do both overdrive and high gain distortion tones really well.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread comes right in time for me to learn from you guys, 'cause I am looking for a distortion pedal to get "high" gain sounds.

Rob, is the SD-9 really capable of producing high gain sounds? I was about to check the Digitech Metal pedal...
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi, it does a really good solo tone if your amp is already a little overdriven.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hands down, DVM's Rabid Rodent. It has a stock rat clone mode, but many, many other modes (6 distortion, 6 overdrive) that sound great, and make it very versatile. The overdrive mode colors the sound much less than my other overdrive, my Bad Monkey, so it gives me that too.

I still enjoy my DS-1 (my first distortion pedal) for certain things, but usually in combination with other pedals. Either the chorus to pick up a grunge sound, or using my Bad Monkey after it to smooth it out. But as a stand alone pedal, it cannot stand up to the Rodent.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I love my DVM R_R , versatile & powerful too..

I tried the Digitech Hothead , cheap powerfull disto but you must tweak a bit for good tone , colored the sound too..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Red Llama, although it's not really a distortion pedal, more of an overdrive-y fuzz.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Effects Pedal Boutique SRB 808 Plus 2 in 1 Dual OD...I stack od1 set in the TS808 mode into od2 in the Marshall mode and bingo!

Post Thanks / Like

I do indeed love that Rabid Rodent modified Rat, though most of the credit goes to Keith Vonderhulls at BYOC for an outstanding kit design. All I did was change a couple of the clipping arrays and install the "Ruetz mod" switch, which isn't original, either. I will take credit for building them pretty well, though.

Sumi, You'll have yours next week! :

Among commercial pedals, I think the Marshall Gov'nor Plus is my favorite. Best EQ section I've come across in a pedal. Amazing bottom end. And they're not expensive. $70 most places, though they seem to have been discontinued....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

So far, it's my ZYS by duhvoodooman. After having time to evaluate it against all my other pedals, it wins hands down........ I like it better than the Bad Monkey, and even the Plexitube, both of which I'm thinking of selling now.
    Maybe I can sell those and try out the Rabid Rodent.
    The ZYS doesn't "throw a blanket" over the speakers like the others, if you know what I mean.

I've had people ask me.... "can you hear a difference in those videos?" when I get on Youtube and hear pedal/amp demos. Usually I can, sometimes I can't. But when I play here at home, I most definately can. The Monkey and the Plexitube sound good until you A/B them with the ZYS. You can EQ them 'till they don't really "color" the sound, but you can't kick them in w/o noticing that they muffle the sound, they kill the big, wide open sound that the amph gets naturally.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

The ZYS is not a distortion pedal however in my world - it's an overdrive pedal; a tubescreamer. For overdrive pedals, the ZYS is my favourite too.

Post Thanks / Like

If the Marshall Guv'nor Plus is considered a distortion box... I'd have to pick that as my favourite.

As mentioned in other posts, it has tremendous EQ properties, and it makes my tele bridge p/u sound freakin huge! It does a great job with buckers too... very versatile when I want to have a hard rocking moment and crank it up loud.

Huge deep base, and incredible drive... all at an affordable price.

It's a keeper :
    Last edited by Algonquin; March 28th, 2009 at 07:59 AM. Reason: changed Guv'ner, to Guv'nor
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are making me want a Guvnor Plus!

Post Thanks / Like

Radial Tonebone Hot British. This pedal is completely over the top for distortion and it's a very high quality at that. It's not subtle - it's a distortion pedal!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Radial Tonebone Hot British. This pedal is completely over the top for distortion and it's a very high quality at that. It's not subtle - it's a distortion pedal!
    I listened to some MP3's on the Tonebone site after I saw your pedalboard. That thing smokes.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    I listened to some MP3's on the Tonebone site after I saw your pedalboard. That thing smokes.
    Shades of every British artist you've heard.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they have a more small & compact version now ...

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blazes
    Looks like they have a more small & compact version now ...

Except that they are solid state. The Hot British has an oh so yummy tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Shades of every British artist you've heard.
    Rick Astley?

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Boy George?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast