Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic P90 tones

Post Thanks / Like

Default Classic P90 tones

Hey kids. I've never had a guitar with P90s in it. I'd be interested in some YouTube clips that have what you consider to be classic P90 tone--particularly at the bridge. Clean or crunchy, makes no difference. This has absolutely no connection with my considering getting a P-Rails for my Fender. None whatsoever. And when I say "none," I mean that there is a certain amount. But yes, I've seen about all the P-Rails vids on there.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Cheapo but sound ok..

Costy but sound realy ok..

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the clips. Actually those PRS SEs are in the $500-$700 US range. Obviously a lot more expensive than the Xaviers, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a bona fide PRS.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Err, this'll do it! OK, not YouTube but pretty definitive
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked that PRS SE Soapbar demo so much I went looking for others.

This is pretty good. Stay for the higher gain stuff Marnold.

Kid can play.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

For an example of a more rawky sound, check out Dinosaur Jr's J Mascis.
    I'm not sure what distortion pedal he's using but he used to use Big Muffs and I think changed over to the AnalogMan stuff.

I think you may have to use the link to view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7MdJPSqtCw

Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    For an example of a more rawky sound, check out Dinosaur Jr's J Mascis.
    I'm not sure what distortion pedal he's using but he used to use Big Muffs and I think changed over to the AnalogMan stuff.

I think you may have to use the link to view it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7MdJPSqtCw

Mascis is playing a Jazzmaster. While one might call them "soapbars" based on the size and shape, Jazzmaster pickups are not P-90's; totally different design and different sound as a result.

For the iconic P-90 rawk sound, check markb's link above to a Live At Leeds Who clip.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy gives the Vintage Icon Gold Top a work out. You can get a feeling for what they sound like. This guitar sold in Canada for 419. It has a set of Wikinson P90s in it. Remember there is a lot of noise with these, unless you are in the middle possition. IE hum cancelling. You can really only hear it though when not being played. IE 60 cycle hum but that is what single coils are about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4x0W...om=PL&index=58
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

This vid is not that good but gives an idea about the Agile 3000 Gold Top P90 s model..Wish we could find a better clip ..

--Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Mascis is playing a Jazzmaster. While one might call them "soapbars" based on the size and shape, Jazzmaster pickups are not P-90's; totally different design and different sound as a result.

For the iconic P-90 rawk sound, check markb's link above to a Live At Leeds Who clip.
    I checked the specs on the Fender site. Sorry, my bad. Marnold, you might want to take that Jazzmaster off layaway, they're not P90's
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

I had forgotten about Live at Leeds. Shame on me, then. Seems to me that a P90 would make a fine addition to one's arsenal.

Toying with the idea of one of those Triple-Shot rings, the P-Rail, and replacing the push-pull with a concentric pot to add a tone control. Nevertheless, without money to spend at the point it's a bit moot. Just had the privilege of sinking about $600 combined into our vehicles (routine maintenance on one, blown heater core on the other). The good news is that with an unexpected extra $700 on my tax return, I could actually pay for it without having to reload the old credit card.

Post Thanks / Like

Marnold I think you'd like the raunchy sound of the P90s. You can get fairly gainy with it using some outboard stuff but with natural OD it's a lot of fun. Real P90s are noisy and those are the ones you want if you are looking for a true P90 sound. You could opt for the stacked P90s but they sound more like humbuckers but the noise is gone. If noise bothers you invest in a good used Boss NS-2...works like a charm.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    I checked the specs on the Fender site. Sorry, my bad. Marnold, you might want to take that Jazzmaster off layaway, they're not P90's
    No prob. :

I think a lot of people probably think that Jazzmasters have P-90's. It probably doesn't help that some non-Fender guitar models with offset waists do have P-90's (like the SX brand SJM model sold by Rondo Music). Another pickup that looks a bit like a P-90 but isn't at all like it otherwise is the big singlecoil on some G&L ASAT's. They sorta look like "soapbars," but have totally different construction and sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Marnold I think you'd like the raunchy sound of the P90s. You can get fairly gainy with it using some outboard stuff but with natural OD it's a lot of fun. Real P90s are noisy and those are the ones you want if you are looking for a true P90 sound. You could opt for the stacked P90s but they sound more like humbuckers but the noise is gone. If noise bothers you invest in a good used Boss NS-2...works like a charm.
    The one I'd be looking at is the aforementioned P-Rails, which is Duncan's attempt at a P90, humbucker, and rails single coil in one unit. From what I've read, the P90 mode is pretty much universally praised (as much as anything gets universally praised in the guit-fiddle community), the single coil is just OK, and the humbucker is pretty heavy in series and PAF-like in parallel. Since my guitar has a single bridge humbucker and one pot, this would add a ton of versatility. I've also heard that since the P90 coil tends to dominate the tone of the rail coil, the full humbucking mode sounds more like a noiseless P90 from Hades than anything else. The P90 mode is single coil and would have all the glorious noise one would expect.

The Triple Shot mounting ring enables me to get all four modes from the pickups, something that would have been difficult to do before. The rear cavity is kind of small and the body is carved which would make adding a switch (or two) difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, to my mind the essence of P90 tone is the Les Paul Junior guitar:

IMHO the best P90 pickups available today are made by Jason Lollar and Gibson. I've had both in Les Paul Jr. type guitars, and they're really great. But different: the Gibson is better dirty - it's raunchy and nasty and bluesy and jumps at you. The Lollar is a bit hotter, and definitely higher-definition. You can go for jazzy tones with the Lollar, the Gibson pretty much stays in gritty electric blues territory, and it's great for slide when you slightly overdrive your amp. Here's a nice ToneQuest article from Jason Lollar's website that talks a bit more about his P90s and a bit about the Gibson P90s.

For me the greatest LP Jr / P90 tone is probably Keith Richards live on Midnight Rambler:

You can also check out the album version of "Tumbling Dice" for another Rolling Stones example.

Also, stay away from Gibson H90 pickups. They do approximate a P90 but not in a good way.
    Last edited by red; April 2nd, 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red
    Well, to my mind the essence of P90 tone is the Les Paul Junior guitar:

IMHO the best P90 pickups available today are made by Jason Lollar and Gibson. I've had both in Les Paul Jr. type guitars, and they're really great. But different: the Gibson is better dirty - it's raunchy and nasty and bluesy and jumps at you. The Lollar is a bit hotter, and definitely higher-definition. You can go for jazzy tones with the Lollar, the Gibson pretty much stays in gritty electric blues territory, and it's great for slide when you slightly overdrive your amp. Here's a nice ToneQuest article from Jason Lollar's website that talks a bit more about his P90s and a bit about the Gibson P90s.

For me the greatest LP Jr / P90 tone is probably Keith Richards live on Midnight Rambler:

You can also check out the album version of "Tumbling Dice" for another Rolling Stones example.

Also, stay away from Gibson H90 pickups. They do approximate a P90 but not in a good way.
    I think , i fix it...

/ `--'(
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blazes
    I think , i fix it...
    Sorry, don't know what the problem was exactly with the YouTube embedded code. The YOUTUBE tags are not quite very forgiving...
    It seems to be fixed now.

Also, forgot to mention - if you're interested in the Les Paul Junior tone, you might also want to check out the album "Climbing!" by Mountain. Leslie West is playing a Junior on some classic rock there.

And if you're into Pearl Jam, Mike McCready is using a Les Paul Junior almost exclusively for lead work on the "Immagine in Cornice" live DVD:

Last edited by red; April 2nd, 2009 at 04:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man that's a teaser with Leslie West,I need more that 25 seconds.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast