Thread: computers and albums

Post Thanks / Like

Default computers and albums

Hello folks,,

I have a 70 record collection of pritstine albums that I would like to transfer onto my Itunes. What with the limitations on MP3 frequency responses, I am not looking for cutting edge hardware. Do any of you have any recommendations?? Should I even consider software that is supposed to clean up the pops and hisses?

Thanks ahead,,,

Steve

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think if you go 256 kbps in MP3 bitrate, you won't be able to hear any audible difference. Or what are you asking?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Plug a decent turntable into a reasonable phono preamp to give you line level and then into a USB audio interface. That's all the hardware sorted. I think there's a consumer version of the Cedar software that pros use for cleaning up digital transfers of music recorded before the tape era (pre-WWII).
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I think if you go 256 kbps in MP3 bitrate, you won't be able to hear any audible difference. ...
    Absolutley true. The files are approximatley 2X the size of 128 kbs, which cna be 'decent' quality and save space...but go 64 kps and that's the 'poor freq response' area.

Post Thanks / Like

Will the ipod play 256? as most MP3 players will only play 192k

Post Thanks / Like

Folks,,,

I appreciate all the information. It seems that I am not able to process all of it. I found an audio interface in the new sweetwater catalog. I just think that $80 to transfer some albums is a little high. I was thinking more half that.

Then Robert brings up bit rates and the darkness looms closer. It is what it is, on the Ipod. I have transferred my CDs there and they are playing pretty close to what they sounded like before, I think??? What the hell,,I am stuck with what the machine is putting out. Not looking to upgrade anything.

I guess I was just looking for too quick a fix??

If this new drivel from me, somehow clarifies the actual problem, I am still in need of answers.

Thanks ahead,,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve
    You'll get your money's worth out of an interface for sure. Obviously you haven't been doing any recording of your guitar playing onto your computer. The interface will allow you to do this too. It's amazing how your playing progresses once you start doing this. You can also join in on some of the backing tracks that we do around here from time to time. Lots of fun. Yes the investment is worth it. Not only will you get your albums into your computer (you'll also be able to load in those Bobby Goldsboro albums from the thrift store) but you can have some fun recording your playing. Win win deal.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the input.

What with owning the Zoom MRS-8, I have not been looking for other ways to do it. Looking at it now, I might have spent a little more time looking into the computer recording, rather than the stand alone route.

It is time to tackle new technologies and owner manuals.

Thanks,,

Steve