Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the best live show you ever saw?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's the best live show you ever saw?

What is the best live music performance you ever experienced? By that, I mean what performance really "made it happen" for you, and that you still remember vividly.

Top of my wish list to have seen would have been Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan, but that didn't happen. I was just weeks old when Jimi died.

Anyway, the best show I've ever seen was Prince in 2001. It just blew my mind. The power, the energy, the soul of Prince live can not be described. It's something else. Go see him if you ever have a chance.

Then other fabulous experiences I remember are Tribal Tech, Allan Holdsworth, Mike Stern, John Scofield, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, David Lindley + Ry Cooder, Chick Corea, Pat Metheny. Scofield is especially amazing up close. I've seen him several times really up close and it's amazingly inspiring.

One of the "worst" concerts I've been to must be Terje Rypdal. I just did not get it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

All time favorite was Queen on The Game tour. Astounding, musically and visually. Clapton on the Journeyman tour comes in second.

The biggest surprise and eye-opener, though, was the original Return to Forever with Al DiMeola, Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White at Indianola College in Iowa in '77 (maybe). I had no idea what this band was that my buddy in high school had tickets to go see. I'd never heard of "fusion" and had no idea a band or a guitar player could do that stuff. I was absolutely shell shocked.

I said something stupid to DiMeola when I happened to meet him after the show (we were up at the stage checking out gear when he came out) and he encouraged me to keep playing, which was sporting of him. That was not too long before "Land of the Midnight Sun"...before all the Guitar Player poll wins...before anybody knew who the guy was...and he wasn't that much older than me at the time. Ain't seen the like since.
    Q: How many guitars is enough?
    A: Just one more...

Post Thanks / Like

Queensryche on the Tribe tour when they were playing with Dream Theater. Both bands were as tight as anything I've ever heard. There was great theater as well when Queensryche did the last Mindcrime tour playing both albums (I & II) in their entirety with additional actors.

The other would be The Flower Kings right before the Paradox Hotel tour at the Oriental Theater in Denver. So incredibly captivating and musical. It was like going to another world. They have the best live engineer I've ever heard.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    They have the best live engineer I've ever heard.
    That reminds of a really good regional cover/show band I saw at Stage West in Davenport, Iowa in the early '80s. They had a lighting guy who had broken leg in a full cast and looked like a bit like Edgar Winter. He played his touch-sensitive lighting control board like a musical instrument and was AWESOME at it, rockin' and headbangin' like he was grooving on a B3. Their big number was "Knights in White Satin." The band absolutely nailed it, with huge vocals and lots of energy, but the lighting guy made it a total event. Great performances can happen anywhere...even off the stage.
    Q: How many guitars is enough?
    A: Just one more...

Post Thanks / Like

Easy! The Cooder and Lindley family show, Royal Festival Hall, London. The second best was Howe Gelb's Upside Down Home at the Barbican, London a few weeks later (iirc) including Giant Sand at their late period best, P.J. Harvey sitting in on rhythm and bass, Vic Chestnutt and Kurt Wagner swapping songs and more. That was good year for live music in London.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Roger Waters - Dark Side of the Moon Live 2007. Without a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Recent :Tommy Emmanuel

Past : Danny Gatton - F Zappa - Eric Johnson and much more..
    My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

By far the best show I saw was Joe Bonamassa two years ago. Small venue of maybe 2,000 and I managed to land front row seats. I was blown away by his guitar playing, but his vocal ability really surprised me too.

A close second was Kansas back in 1980 (?) in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. It was the original line-up with Steve Walsh.

The biggest disappointment in shows, and I never thought I'd be saying this, was Gov't Mule last year. They played alot of covers, didn't play ANY of their well-known songs. They sounded good, but none of the songs were recognizeable and I have 5 of their CD's.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank Zappa and Mountain in the "70s"
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say The Who. Maybe not the greatest stage show by today's standards, but it was about 1971 and you already knew you were witnessing legends.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

George Thorogood at the Bijou Cafe (seats 300) in Philly, March 1978. He was just breaking nationally and he was ELECTRIFYING. His "style" was all new and he had that Joe Everyman persona.

Post Thanks / Like

Santana/Clapton back in the 70's. Santana opened the show, his playing was fantastic, the band was tight, right on cue, every number. Shortly after he left the stage Clapton came out......no long wait, he hit the stage about 5 min. after Carlos left. About 10 min. into Clapton's show, the power died!
    Almost immediately the emergency power kicked in, but it was only enough to get a couple stage mics and a few lights going. Clapton walks back on with an acoustic and a stool, sits down and blows the place away for around 30 minutes, until the power came back on. Then the whole band joins him, and they just flat kick a$$. They do their last number, the lights go down, the lighters come out, everyone screaming for one more song.
    Well, when the lights came back up, Santana had joined Clapton onstage, and so had his band.
    They jammed on all types of tunes for another hour, I absolutely loved it.
    They were all in the zone, on the same wavelength, playing their a$$es off, going wild, and having an absolute blast. Mind you, they weren't trying to one-up each other.........instead, all the music, the guitars, the vocals, everthing, was all complimenting everything else going on, making it better, adding just the right spices to the recipe at the right time.
    They weren't doing a show for an audience any more, they were letting all the pent up music exorcise itself freely, and we were privy to witness it. It was that good......and if you're wondering, no, I wasn't chemically altered, just high on what I was experiencing. I've seen other bands get together for a jam at the end of a concert a few times, but nothing like that night, not before or since. It was....well, perfect.

It more than made up for the little power glitch earlier in the evening.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

The best for me was probably Pink Floyd at the Checker Dome in St. Louis back in '88. My brother and I took a road trip to see them. Even though we were in the nosebleed seats, we could hear everything clearly and distinctly. The mix was incredible. : Awesome show. :

The worst, probably David Lindley at the Boulder Theater. Lindley was awesome as always, but it was standing room only. The only three or four tables there were snapped up by the first few in the doors. The rest of use had to stand.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen a ton of concerts in my day, but the Joe Bonamassa gig kicked me into a week from next Tuesday.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Anyway, the best show I've ever seen was Prince in 2001. It just blew my mind. The power, the energy, the soul of Prince live can not be described. It's something else. Go see him if you ever have a chance.
    I saw Prince in 2001 too (in November) at The Budokan. IIRC he did a 1 and a half hour show with his band, then a 45 minute solo spot (just him and piano), then the band came out again for a couple more numbers. The solo part was amazing, it really demonstrated how strong his songwriting skills are.

Most boring concert would go to Dire Straits on their Brothers In Arms tour.
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

I have a hard choice to make on this one! John Mellencamp was on tour about 3 years ago and had Donovan and Stephen King with him that was just one of the best shows I can recall. AMERICA, we saw two years ago was just a piece of art to enjoy with many memories. MEATLOAF on his BAT OUT OF HELL tour was one that I'll never forget. GARTH BROOKS was an amazing show that kept everyone standing. Those would be my top 4 picks and really hard to decide which was the best.
    I have many others that left me rockin but nothing compared to the above.

Post Thanks / Like

These are from the 70's,I grew up by the L.A. forum.Alice Cooper,he puts on a show plus music,The Who Quadrophenia concert and The Allman bros.and many,many more.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Overall, Radiohead last May. First and foremost the band sounded great and played a setlist full of a lot of songs I wanted to hear. The sound was engineered perfectly so that I could hear and distinguish all five players. Their lighting director, Andi Watson is one of the best in the business. It was a tremendous show from start to finish (even better than the last time I'd seen them in 2003).

If there's a runner up, it's Phish at Big Cypress for New Years 1999-2000. The entire weekend was great, but the midnight set on NYE was something I will never forget. I'd never seen band play 7.5 hours non-stop and probably never will again.

The worst show was, without question, George Clinton a couple of years ago. I'd seen him before and he was awesome. Not this last time. His voice was shot and the band was sloppy and all over the place. Terrible terrible show.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Best large venue show I saw was U2 back in the Achtung Baby days. Best smaller venue show was either Lyle Lovett and his Large Band, or Bonnie Raitt with her band. Both shows were extremely professional, and just plain well done. I pick Lyle probably as the top. Best club act has to be Michelle Shocked show (not her folk stuff, this was with an electric blues band). She rocked!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast