Thread: Strat whammy problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Strat whammy problem.

Ok, so Problem is, i cant whammy on my strat. At all. Like, the bridge will not move, at all.
    Current spring setup is.

/|\

I have Fender 11 Super bullets
    How do i fix this, I wanna Dr. Feelgood by Motley crue, but it requires a whammy.

HELP. plz. thx.

-G327

Post Thanks / Like

What type of bridge do you have? How far are the screws holding the tremolo claw into the wood in the tremolo cavity? We need more details to answer your question...

Post Thanks / Like

As we don't know anything of your experience, (regardless of being the "Strat addict") I guess first question would be... do you know how to use it?

I watched a guy in a guitar store rotating one up & down like he was resetting the hands on a clock. Continued doing that until an employee showed him how it worked, (and promptly took it away from him.)

Post Thanks / Like

Six screws or two? If six, they need to be backed off a bit. I suspect your bridge is screwed right down into the body. The screws are your pivots and the bridge plate needs room to move. If the trem has been locked down like this it's likely that the spring claw has been tightened right up. You need to slacken off the spring tension enough to raise the back of the bridge by about 1/8". After that you'll need to adjust action and intonation. If you're not sure about this get a pro to do it. It'll take him about 30 minutes.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    I watched a guy in a guitar store rotating one up & down like he was resetting the hands on a clock. Continued doing that until an employee showed him how it worked, (and promptly took it away from him.)
    thats great : you cant make this stuff up
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Six screws or two? If six, they need to be backed off a bit. I suspect your bridge is screwed right down into the body. The screws are your pivots and the bridge plate needs room to move. If the trem has been locked down like this it's likely that the spring claw has been tightened right up. You need to slacken off the spring tension enough to raise the back of the bridge by about 1/8". After that you'll need to adjust action and intonation. If you're not sure about this get a pro to do it. It'll take him about 30 minutes.
    That's probly it. i screw down the scrwes as hard as i could last time i strug my 'tar.

/facepalm
    Thanks.