Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Anyone know how thick the Maple cap on the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top is?

Thread: Anyone know how thick the Maple cap on the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top is?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone know how thick the Maple cap on the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top is?

Thanks for replies.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought they were all fotoflame...Didn't know they used real maple.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have heard from 1/8 to 3/8 thickness kicked around on various forums. I have owned an Epi Custom Plus, that was a MIK. It was a really sweet guitar and if you can get one I would recommend it highly. It had a 5 piece Maple neck and of course the maple cap. I traded it on a 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat. The only complaint I had was the gold hardware on the pickups came off when I tried to clean them.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yo F4Dphantom2

Yo Phontom,

Can you imagine a phantom made out of cardboard?

That would be equivalent to a high class company like Epiphone using contact paper on their Plus top LP's.

It just isn't a serious comment and must have been a joke.

Actually Epiphone LP Standard Plus Tops are awesome. I have a very rare one: it is solid amber, no burst an is awesomely beautiful. I put Seymour Duncan pups in it; a '59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge, both nickel plated. This is one asesome guitar and not to be scoffed at by any means.

Anyway, some of the greatest guitar players of all time played particle board guitars with contact paper tops. It's in the brain, nerves, hands and soul.

I HATE photo finish tops. Must go back to my chemical days and have stayed with me. That is the epitome of plastic-ness. Remember that term? Plastic people and plastic things? It was right on time and it was evident, just like those fake photo finishes. There should be disclosures on all guitars that have photo finishes, because they are doing it so well that you could possibly not even notice it.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by F4DPhantomII
    Thanks for replies.
    AFAIK they are not solid maple but layered construction...one of the things that separate gibsons from the low-end versions within the company. Al least mine had a super-thin veneer over another piece and another thicker piece in the middle. i.e. the cap was made of five pieces, all wood, no board or photo finish.

That is not to say Epis are any worse, but the woods are.

On the contrary, for instance when I bought an Explorer, the epi ones had nicer finishes etc. than gibsons. Although they also had multi-piece bodies and veneer tops rather than solid mahogany.

There ARE of course lower-end epis too, my friend has a little older epi LP with a bolt-on neck and what very much appears to be photo finish over a laminate plank.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Default how thick is the maple top

In most cases the maple top is 3\4 inch thick overlaying the mohogany but if you want to see for your self take the bridge pick-up off the guitar and look at the wood separation just below the bridge you'll see it's about 3\4 inch thick this will 100% satisfy your curiosity. This way you' ll know if you have a veneer top or real maple top..