Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you agree with this guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do you agree with this guy?

Premier Guitar quote of the week...........

"Comment of the Week "

“Not me, I want every manufacturer to concentrate HEAVILY on amp modeling because I don't want to carry an amp and cabinet (or combo) everywhere I go. It's enough carrying guitars, pedalboards, microphones, stands, cables, etc, etc, etc. I don't have to carry around an amp for my keyboard and want the same for my guitar. It's straight to P.A. baby, that's the future. Each new generation uses tubes less and less and each modeler will get better and better. After all the guys my age have died off, the end of tubes will come soon after and that's good. I vomit on guitar amps. Keep going manufacturers, you're almost there sound-wise. You still need more work but what I currently have is good enough to never have a guitar amp.”
    – HateGuitarAmps, on
    Vox’s new amp-
    modeling ToneLab ST

What do you all think??????????
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

In some ways, I do. If we can get 100% of what we want tone wise from modeling technology, that would be swell. If they can get there by working harder, go for it.

On the other hand, there's something about a real good tube amp that is very attractive. Old technology, old school but great tone and life span and lots of mojo.

I think both technologies will (have to) co-exist for a long, long time to come.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, apart from thinking that vomiting on guitar amps is not a very good idea, the Cube 60 has certainly changed my attitude to modeling amps. But when you get right down to it, it's an amp. Having enough power to be heard over the drummer is kind of useful. Not everyone has the luxury of good monitors.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Some people build houses with hand tools and some build them with power tools. I'll work with whatever I have.

As for the comment from that person, to me it seems like he's afraid of hard work. If you want to work you need to haul your tools whatever they may be. Until recently nobody even thought they needed 10 different amphs and 25 pedals at each gig. So why does that have to change now? I feel like there is too much focus on versatility and mimicry and not enough emphasis on personality. Seems like players did fine before with less.

AND...if you are running sound from the stage it's hard as heck to get everything right without a backline. Without a soundman it's tough. When everyone just sets up their amps - balances them with the drums so they can hear each other - then add some vocals to a PA, you are ready to rock. I hate trying to get monitor mixes perfect and FOH perfect and set up the lights and my rig and tune guitars etc. I think it's simpler and quicker to do it the old school way.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Well they will have to make um smell like a tube amph too,before I go that rout.The smell,the hum,the tone,it gets in your blood and when you play with all these elements its magic.They can't replace that! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Some people build houses with hand tools and some build them with power tools. I'll work with whatever I have.

As for the comment from that person, to me it seems like he's afraid of hard work. If you want to work you need to haul your tools whatever they may be. Until recently nobody even thought they needed 10 different amphs and 25 pedals at each gig. So why does that have to change now? I feel like there is too much focus on versatility and mimicry and not enough emphasis on personality. Seems like players did fine before with less.

AND...if you are running sound from the stage it's hard as heck to get everything right without a backline. Without a soundman it's tough. When everyone just sets up their amps - balances them with the drums so they can hear each other - then add some vocals to a PA, you are ready to rock. I hate trying to get monitor mixes perfect and FOH perfect and set up the lights and my rig and tune guitars etc. I think it's simpler and quicker to do it the old school way.
    Exactly.
    The only people with those problems are the one's attempting to recapture someone else's sound. Guitarists that have their own individuation don't have any problem, extra effort, or extra tools to sound like themselves.
    Let everyone else struggle to capture YOUR sound!

Post Thanks / Like

Rocket that deserves a BIG AMEN!!!! Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I still have much to learn about playing but I find myself trying out a lot of amphs when I'm in the guitar shops just to see what all these new ones can do.
    Yesterday I had went by to leave my new SSH Tele for a nut change and was sotting there talking with ine of the owners . This guy comes in and starts off by saying that he has bought 3 new guitars and has 4 Fender amphs and can't get a good bluesy sound out of any of them. Owner ask do you have a tube amp? No I don't! Owner says well here let me plug this Tele into this VOX VT50 and he proceeds to play some blues and dials in a real soulful sound. The customer says but it's not a Fender and you can't have a blues sound out of a british amp!
    Well gang , I just sat back and watched at the other customers who joined in on the discussion as they ask the guy just what he was asking for? You know sometimes it boils down to having a sound of your own ear and no matter how good it sounds to one there is always another who doesn't like it. I can get some great sounds out of my Zoom pedal but it doesn't sound as good as some of these newest modeling amps(to my ears). I want a tube amp but haven't found the one I want to afford as of yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it would be very convenient to have a "swiss army knife" amp that dials in excellent models of various historical amphs. I don't think that hard work and such a tool would be mutually exclusive necessarily, and it might open doors for an artist varying his/her sound. The multi amp modeler I would design would have a Bassman, a Marshall of some kind, a Twin or other clean Fender, A Vox AC30 or maybe 15, and maybe my C-30 and that would be enough if they really sounded and acted just like those amphs. From there, I could find sounds I liked in each. However, I have yet to see a "Swiss Army" multipurpose style anything that did the job (other than having a multi purpose pocket sized tool for light tasks) as well as the real things. Even knives! A good locking folding blade and a good screw driver are going to beat a swiss army knife every time at their individual tasks. A 9 inch chef's blade, along with a good boning knife with some flex, but not too much, will always trump a folding knife if I am preparing food.

I am no authority, just a wanker really, but when I go and listen to amphs, I get drawn in by good tube amph sounds. The modelers can sound good, but I prefer learning the nuances of one good piece of equipment. I guess that is how you develop your own sound as Rocket and Spud suggest.

So I guess it would be nice if he was right, and one box contained at least a few models that really gave all the sound, nuances and feeling of the amphs it tries to model, but I am not holding my breath, and right now, I have plenty to explore developing some sounds I enjoy with my one tube amph.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music
    I want a tube amp but haven't found the one I want to afford as of yet.
    Jeez, I wish I believed this much in the concept that desire creates the universe.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing that concerns me about modeling technology is that it is basically disposable. It is made to be disposable because the technology improves geometrically. And once the old technology is dated, it finds its way into the landfill. There is no money in making modeling technology robust as it becomes outdated too quickly.

What I like about tube amplifier technology is that it is renewable. There are amps from the 1930s that still operate just fine. Of course there are tube amps that are meant to be inexpensive and are cheaply built and meant to be disposable.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

"It's enough carrying guitars, pedalboards, microphones, stands, cables, etc, etc, etc."

This guy is seems more intent on complaining about adding an amp to the list of things he has to haul? If he has that much of an issue, then he should focus more on hiring a roadie and less on the advancement of modelers.

Personally I like the search for "my sound". I never wanted to find "Clapton's sound" or anyone else's really. My search for sound is within the sounds related to genre. Having pedals, for me just the ME50, and a straight forward amp make the search for sound part of the fun in playing guitar.

I don't really want to intentionally sound like a specific person, however I would not deny wanting to play as good as....

Being primarily a bedroom player, the ease of moving equipment isn't an issue. Plus, what I do have doesn't cause an issue when I do take it over a friends house. My issue is deciding on what guitar to take and I end up taking three or four.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Modelers are great because they can pack a lot of different tones into a very small, portable package. Modelers are the current hot ticket item, much like rack processors and MIDI systems were in the mid to late 80s.

I like 'em.

HOWEVER, there's something to be said for plugging in, turning a knob or two and wailing away. The learning curve for modelers can be a huge pain in the butt.

Anyone, anyone that thinks they need a zillion different amphs to get "their sound" either doesn't know what "their sound" is, or is just brainwashed by marketing hype.

My "rig" takes all of about 2 minutes to set up, and it ain't that heavy. If complaining about carrying an amph and all the gear is the issue, then that person should just go acoustic and quit b*tching!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    The thing that concerns me about modeling technology is that it is basically disposable. It is made to be disposable because the technology improves geometrically. And once the old technology is dated, it finds its way into the landfill. There is no money in making modeling technology robust as it becomes outdated too quickly.

What I like about tube amplifier technology is that it is renewable. There are amps from the 1930s that still operate just fine. Of course there are tube amps that are meant to be inexpensive and are cheaply built and meant to be disposable.

tung
    But, if a modeling amp sounds good today it will keep on sounding good for as long as it lasts. It may be superseded by the "new, improved" model but is still a useful item. I doubt Ibanez thought they were making an inferior product when they replaced the TS808 with the TS9.

The difficulty of repair is what causes the short life of most solid state amps. But then this also true for PCB based valve amps. Bear in mind that valve manufacture is an environmental no-no in most western countries. This is why most valves today are made in former Soviet bloc countries and China. As environmental controls tighten, that manufacture will dry up. Guitarists are not a mass market in realpolitik terms.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Modeling amps have their place. I love my Tone Port for recording demos but I would never use one live in my band. A modeling amp would probably be great if you are in a cover band that does a variety of different styles.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone name a major artist, someone with a signature sound, that uses a modeling amp live?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

So as technology advances we're all to sound the same? No ta.
    And when electrics kill off acoustic guitars, we'll all be playing MIK Strats for every sound the manufacturers allow us! This smacks of the sort of evil Sony brought to recorded music (nearly).
    BTW I play through a Yale SS slaved into a tube head and 800w 4x12. Like to see anyone replicate that!

Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone name a major artist, someone with a signature sound, that uses a modeling amp live?
    Closest I can think of is Brad Delson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uo5E6dtyIs

He uses Randall MTS amps, which are tube Pre-Amps based on other amps. So you could have one amp with, say, a Vox AC30 TB, a MESA and a Soldano pre-amp.

Personally I'd rather have a valve (tube) amp. I've yet to hear a modelling amp than can get close to that tone.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

The only person I can think of is John Bell from Widespread Panic. He uses two Line 6 Vetta combos. He's not really known for having a 'signature sound' though. It's kind of a running joke because I've never really been able to hear him at a show. You can buy t-shirts that say "Turn J.B. up".
    Patrick

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast