Thread: Billy Bob Thornton 'Blow Up' on Q TV

Post Thanks / Like

Default Billy Bob Thornton 'Blow Up' on Q TV

Billy Bob Thornton’s band ‘The Boxmasters’ have decided not to perform on the remaining dates of their North American tour after being booed
    by Canadian fans during a show on Thursday night.

The gig in Toronto was part of the group’s tour to support Willie Nelson. According to reports, the fans were upset about the Oscar-winner’s attack on them during a recent radio interview.

Though Thornton insisted that his comments were aimed at a DJ he fell out with on air, those at the Massey Hall show refused to believe him.

The actor/writer insisted that his "mashed potatoes with no gravy" comment was not anti-Canadian.

"Boo all you want, but I want to say something - we’re really happy to be here," Contactmusic quoted him as saying. However, having faced a bad gig, his band are said to have pulled the plug on other dates.

A post on Willie Nelson’s official website on Friday read: "At this time, no reasons have been announced but the remainder of the tour will continue as scheduled without The Boxmasters ."

Bravo Bob

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Zowie. What an interview. Reminds of Blonde on Blonde era Dylan. The difference being that Dylan was a real talent and innovator, and Billy Bob seems to be posing as one. I haven't heard his band, but I felt sorry for the interviewer.

I'm not sure that his "mashed potatoes but no gravy" comment, in context, deserved boos. But Canadians are pretty sensitive about Americans criticizing them without knowing much about Canada.

What a prima donna.

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

Wow he's about as plesent as a fart in an elevator. Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever noticed the difference between rock musicians and country musicians during interviews? I say this as a non-country fan, but they sure are more polite!

"You were instructed to...." -- give me a break!
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

I think Billy Bob's mike should've been cut early on in that interview and him left to his drug induced trip, and the interview continued with the other members of the band.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

About 30 minutes after seeing this, I was walking through the family room and the interview was on TV. I didn't pay real close attention, but it seemed as the dj's voice was dubbed over with some smart a-- relies back at Billy Bob.

Why do people find you Canadians so difficult. I went up there enough to see no real difference. Well, except that part about having to end every other sentence with - eh?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone note the dude in the middle of the other three musicians is Unknown Hinson???

Cheers,

Bob

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole thing came about because Billy Bobby didn't want them mentioning that he was a movie star. It was supposed to be all about his music and band. When the interviewer was announcing him said "Billy Bob Thornton, academy award winning actor" And that was it. The next question was when did you start this band. Billy Bob said "I don't know what you are talking about" Then he said he didn't understand the question!
    His band was the opening act for Willie Nelson, and he got a very poor review. He stopped after 3 mins and wanted to tell the audience that he loved Canadians and the interviewer was an a__hole. He said he told them they could not mention his acting career, and said they stood their and lied to his face. I guess he figured that being way up her in Canada, we would not know he was in movies and married to Angelina, and would only know him for his music.
    He got booed and in the next press release they quit the next three gigs, and went home. The band's publicist said that a few of the band members were sick and could not perform at their best. Willie Nelson's publicist would not comment. He only said this is a Willie Nelson tour not a Billie Bob tour
    As far as the mashed potatoes and gravy thing I think he was referring to the fact that we Canadians are polite and usually don't get too rowdy in a concert. .
    I personally could not care less about Billy Bob. I have never even heard of his band. I wish him good luck in his music career.
    In the interview I was watching the other guys in the band and they had their heads down and didn't say a thing. I think they were totally embarassed.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

His actions made the interview about him. If he was so "concerned" he could have easily directed the interview to the music and the band members. His jackass response only fueled the fire and made the music secondary.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

That was a STRANGE interview. After watching that, all I have to say is "stick to acting". What an @$$
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Who's that in your avatar, TS808? Looks kinda like..........................
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Ok now I get it! Billy Bob was doing his Karl Childers character during the interview!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Sad and over reacting specially when you are invited on a set to promote your band
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

I think he was more pissed about having to do an interview at 6 am. Also the fact that he had to stay behind a yellow line to have a cigarette outside!
    Of course he has another career, but I really felt sorry for the guys in the band. I think they understood why they were there.
    The Blues is alright!