Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
What is your favorite Overdrive pedal? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Overdrive pedal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by red
    Speaking of tweedy overdrives, I'm thinking maybe I'll build a Professor Tweed sometime soon, ever tried one of those?
    No, haven't tried any of the OLC kits....yet!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    With Jeorge Tripps back, maybe they will reissue it. They reissued the Aqua Puss after all.
    Aw, you got me started and I emailed Dunlop, here's their reply:

"Thank you for your email. The next Way Huge pedal we will be releasing this summer is the Green Rhino. We do not have any other information regarding new Way Huge pedals that will be added to the current line. Please check back in 6-12 months."

So, sadly, they aren't planning on reissuing the Red Llama, at least definitely not sooner than 6 months from now. Damn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    No, haven't tried any of the OLC kits....yet!
    Hahaha, please don't forget to keep us posted when you do .

Post Thanks / Like

Re: the name

I'm always a big fan of obscure Monty Python references, to the chagrin of most everyone else around me.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Re: the name

I'm always a big fan of obscure Monty Python references, to the chagrin of most everyone else around me.
    So if I name a pedal "The Shrubbery", will ya buy one, Rev??
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    So if I name a pedal "The Shrubbery", will ya buy one, Rev??
    The Drive That Says 'Ni!'

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by red
    The Drive That Says 'Ni!'
    I heard there was a delay feature so it goes:
    NiNiNiNiNiNiNiNiNiNiNi. . . . .

Distortion to suit. It also launches barnyard animals, and has a taunts repeats feature.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah and delay speed simply MUST go all the way up to African swallow...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely coconut-based.

Post Thanks / Like

The Pedal That Goes Ni! . . . Ni! . . . Ni! Love it.

I suppose "The Shrubbery" would have to be a fuzz, eh?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The "Hoochee Mama" by Tim Brown, @ Browntone electronics.
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Post Thanks / Like

I like Voods ZYS MkII.
    While I was looking for a distortion pedal I picked up a Marshall Jackhammer OD/Distortion and found it to be an excellent distortion and overdrive combined. This pedal is a sleeper IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    While I was looking for a distortion pedal I picked up a Marshall Jackhammer OD/Distortion and found it to be an excellent distortion and overdrive combined. This pedal is a sleeper IMHO.
    Yeah I found one on ebay a while back too. I definitely do not like the distortion on it, but the OD into a clean amp seems to be good, better than a Bad Monkey anyway. It's loaned out right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,
    What don't you like about the distortion side of this pedal? I actually like it but I have read many who don't. Just curious.

M

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,
    What don't you like about the distortion side of this pedal? I actually like it but I have read many who don't. Just curious.

M
    IIRC, it has a lot of high-end fizz and not much muscle to it, kind of the tinny, fizzy, faux-metal sound you get sometimes when trying to imitate a very distorted amp. I guess I like a bit more low-end to beef it up if you're going to go in that direction.

If I had it and a guitar on hand I could give you a better description, but that's what I remember -- just too thrashy to be very effective in the distortion mode.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is odd. What I like about the pedal is that it does not sound like that. I don't like fizzy distortion pedals. I like a beefy distortion pedal with a full range of chunkin bass. Maybe someone has modded my pedal.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is odd. What I like about the pedal is that it does not sound like that. I don't like fizzy distortion pedals. I like a beefy distortion pedal with a full range of chunkin bass. Maybe someone has modded my pedal.
    I don't have much faith in my ability to tweak appropriately to produce very good tones, so it's more than possible that it's that. What sort of settings do you use? Do you use it with tube amps or SS? Already driven or clean? I'll give it a whirl when I get it back eventually, so it would be good to know how you use it.

I find that actually owning the pedal is only part of the tone equation -- you need to know how to use it too setting-wise, which is still a pretty weak point for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gregsguitars
    The "Hoochee Mama" by Tim Brown, @ Browntone electronics.
    Those are amazing pedals...but they'd better be for the price. Yikes!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

They beat out every pedal made ,including the "Page " pedal in a blind test two years ago, It so happens that he is my uncle and he stays so far behind order wise (he builds one at a time by hand with only the best components) that I have yet to receive any other that my first pedal years ago...Although he is presently making me a custom five in one long pedal with each effect being able to be placed anywhere in the series chain I wish and independently controlled..Echo,chorus, octave splitter,sustain and overdrive. Greg.
    May all your days be memorable, all your friends stay true and all your riffs be killer....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast