Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What is your favorite Overdrive pedal? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is your favorite Overdrive pedal?

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't owned a ton of pedals. So far I've been through:

non moded DS-1
    FullDrive 2 (non-mosfet)
    TS-808 from general guitar gadgets (including all mods except mosfet)
    and my two day old BYOC OD2 Mosfet.

I've also played around with:
    Fulltone OCD
    Lovepedal Eternity
    LovePedal COT 50

I like most of em but the versatility of the OD2 is blowing me away. It's pretty similar to the TS from GGG which means I can dial up one for rhythm and one for lead. The opamp in the GGG TS is the JRC which is a bit more warm and the OD2 has the BS170 so it's a little more cutting for lead. The cool thing though is that the OD2 opamp is socketed so I could throw the JRC in there and use it for rhythm if I wanted to. I can't wait to explore this thing some more.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fulltone OCD

Another vote for the Fulltone OCD. I couldn't be happier. Great pedal and the only effects pedal I use except for a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe wah pedal and a Morley Volume Plus pedal.

__________________________________________________ _______

’04 Fender CS ’56 Stratocaster Relic RI 50th Anniv. Aztec Gold
    '10 Fender American Select Mahogany HSS Strat
    '07 Fender CS Vintage Heavy Relic HB Tele
    '03 Gibson ES-345 RI
    ’03 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Fireburst)
    Schecter California Custom Hellcat
    Squier Bullet/Seymour Duncan HB/LockingTuners
    Breedlove AD25/SR Plus Acoustic
    Hohner ECA 612 12-String Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vroomery
    I haven't owned a ton of pedals. So far I've been through:

I like most of em but the versatility of the OD2 is blowing me away. It's pretty similar to the TS from GGG which means I can dial up one for rhythm and one for lead. The opamp in the GGG TS is the JRC which is a bit more warm and the OD2 has the BS170 so it's a little more cutting for lead. The cool thing though is that the OD2 opamp is socketed so I could throw the JRC in there and use it for rhythm if I wanted to. I can't wait to explore this thing some more.
    I was just thinking of this thread the other night, as I enjoyed my Zonkin Yellow Screamer. The ZYS that Duhvoodooman built for me is based off that pedal, with a bunch of extras thrown in, and a boost circuit as well. It is really just so nice. I really enjoy setting a bit of boost, for rhythm, and kicking on the OD for lead. Very fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nady TD-1 tube OD pedal:

It's like the poor man's Tonebone Classic. Same tone.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

For this week anyway
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I feel the need, the need to chime in here. I, just today, made a trade for a pair of Epi Alnico Classics (57CH(G)) pickups for a DigiTech Bad Monkey, and right now, it is one of the best sounding overdrive pedals that I have ever used. Very articulate, even with the gain and level full up. I feed it into my Fallen Angel 40, set on the clean channel with the gain up all the way (not very clean!), turn the Gain knob on the Monkey all the way down, Level all the way up, Low at 12 o'clock, High at 11 or 1:30, gives me a nice boosted, preamp distortion, crunch sound! I love it! And, when the Gain is cranked, sweet mother may I!! Watch out! It also does equally well on my modded Crate V5! I guess that I am just a "mid-hump" kind of guy... LOL
    Between this pedal and The Rat (II), does life get any better?

Cheers!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Nady TD-1 tube OD pedal:

It's like the poor man's Tonebone Classic. Same tone.
    I have toyed with the idea of getting a Tonebone... that Nady is sweet! Gotta look that one up! Thanks, Bloozcat.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeanEVO_Dude
    I feel the need, the need to chime in here. I, just today, made a trade for a pair of Epi Alnico Classics (57CH(G)) pickups for a DigiTech Bad Monkey, and right now, it is one of the best sounding overdrive pedals that I have ever used. Very articulate, even with the gain and level full up. I feed it into my Fallen Angel 40, set on the clean channel with the gain up all the way (not very clean!), turn the Gain knob on the Monkey all the way down, Level all the way up, Low at 12 o'clock, High at 11 or 1:30, gives me a nice boosted, preamp distortion, crunch sound! I love it! And, when the Gain is cranked, sweet mother may I!! Watch out! It also does equally well on my modded Crate V5! I guess that I am just a "mid-hump" kind of guy... LOL
    Between this pedal and The Rat (II), does life get any better?

Cheers!
    I like my Bad Monkey too. Very nice pedal. Not quite as clean, articulate or versatile as my ZYS, but still a very worthy pedal I will not get rid of. Best bang for the buck pedal I can think of really, especially used at around $25 to $35 shipped.

Maybe the Rat is the same thing. I got DVM's Rat clone (Rabid Rodent), and between the ZYS and Rodent, it seems anything is possible.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Everybody and their pets recommend the Bad Monkey, I guess I need to try one just for testing purposes if not else.

I've just never had a Digitech pedal I liked, so I don't expect miracles.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

The Bad Monkey's just a Tube Screamer variant with a more versatile eq that allows you to tune out some of the hump, Dee. You have to like screamers in the first place.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, I see...then I don't know. I do like screamers too, but they don't work so well with my current gear. Used a TS-10 for a loooong time, though, and after that went thru about a dozen of 'em I think, but yeah, they're too 'hairy' for me now, I like the 'purity' of the Jackhammer. Hmm...thanks for the heads-up, I don't think I'll actively look for one, but if I come accross one for like a twenty I'll grab one just for testing. Might work with the Vox amp at least, if not to replace the Vox as my second OD.

Also, I don't know if I'd like to part with the Vox (distortion booster)...it sounds marvellous, really gives the sounds some extra scream and shrieks, BUT it is also rather a noisy one.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 2 on my board, Ibanez ts9 and ts808 reissue. I use the 808 for my standard OD and the ts9 for really overdriven stuff. when used together it is a loud dirty oversaturated sound. My bandmates call it the koolaid tone, cuz it sounds sweet, like koolaid with about 2 pounds of sugar!!!! I also have a blues driver, really nice tones, I use that sparingly when I'm jamming by myself or playing an acoustic set. I really dig the tone of the boss paired with my acoustasonic and a boss ch1. I really havent looked into trying any others cuz these just seem to fit like a worn in pair of boxers!

Post Thanks / Like

I use my MXR Classic Overdrive with the internal set to FAT!

LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234