Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

What is your favorite Overdrive pedal?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite Overdrive pedal?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is your favorite Overdrive pedal?

Ibanez TS9, Barber Direct Drive, Fulldrive 2, Cool Cat Drive, etc?

My pick is Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer. :

It's the yellow babe here below.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So far, my Bad Monkey. Such great bang for the buck. But DVM's Rabid Rodent, which is really a distortion pedal, also has a very nice overdrive in it. More transparent, and hotter than the Bad Monkey. Some day, I would like to compare the V.2 overdrive kit DVM is building to the tube screamer specs like Dreadman got. But for now, the Monkey is king.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite:

I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive...this was a great find. I also like the EPB SRB 808 Plus.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just a few pedals but this pickup booster is great for OD.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Fulldrive II, and OCD. I use then separately and in tandem. It depends on what I am looking for. NO noise and true bypass, built like a tank.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

(Currently) my favourites are the Cool Cat Drive (I've sold the TOD) and a stock Boss SD-1. They stack really well using the CC first in front of a cleanish amp as a "tweedifier" and the SD-1 to add midrange and gain for the now legendary screaming solos .
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am new to this bus.....so it has to be the Bad Monkey.....but I have serious ambitions for one of those DVM ZYS pedals....
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

I go back and forth between TOD and Bad Monkey. If I gig with the TOD I'll probably be able to make up my mind then but I haven't yet.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down it's the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer. It's a TS-808 blessed by the gods and given more power and lucious tone.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing as I only have 1 overdrive pedal it would be THAT one. It's a TS-808 clone that I modded to Bob Keeley specs and added a red LED clipping circuit as well. If I had known earlier, I probably would have done a Landgraff mod on it, they sound really sweet. I haven't actually used it in about 6 months, I wonder if it still works
    Guitars: Epiphone SG-400 Custom; Epiphone Firebird V; 1996 Gibson LP Standard; Avion 4; Yamaha FG-301B acoustic

FX: TS-808; Big Muff (Triangle Version); Red Llama; Green Ringer Octave Up (Clones); Maxon Phaser; Maxon Compressor; Tremulus Lune Tremolo; Line 6 POD II

Amp: (Somewhere in another country) Hiwatt 100W head, Marshall 4x12 cab

My noise here

Post Thanks / Like

Fulltone OCD covers my overdrive and distortion needs nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suhnton
    ....I haven't actually used it in about 6 months, I wonder if it still works
    Hmmm, I would think that would be an automatic disqualification from "favorite OD pedal" status!

Just a comment on the much ballyhooed Landgraff mod: This overhyped mod, based on an incredibly overpriced "boo-teek" pedal, is quite simple and really does just two things--adds switchable asymmetric silicon/LED clipping and punches the available maximum gain up by a factor of about 8.5. The rest of the component changes basically just compensate for the gain boost circuit changes, so that you don't lose all your bass and the low-gain end of the drive control. Seriously, you could take an off-the-shelf TS-9 and about $7 worth of parts and do this mod yourself, if you know what to change. How anybody can sell such a modestly modified TS clone for $400--handmade or not--is just astonishing to me. No argument from me that the pedal sounds good and is of excellent build quality; I just find the pricing ridiculous. But if people are willing to pay that, I guess you can't blame them for pricing it that high. :

I have two favorite overdrives: the aforementioned ZYS (though the new BYOC Overdrive 2 gives you exactly the same circuit & tone, minus a couple of the switchable options I include on the ZYS), and the Boss Blues Driver BD2 with the Allums "H2O Plus" mod. The former is the best & most flexible TS-type OD I've heard, and the latter is the best "transparent" OD I've played through. I've never played through a Fulltone OCD, but have heard uniformly positive things about them.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; April 14th, 2009 at 09:52 AM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Fulltone OCD or Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9. Both are just fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Were there any clips ever posted of the BYOC OD 2 posted, built like Dreadman asked (TS808 specs)? I tried to keep an eye out, but did not see any.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Were there any clips ever posted of the BYOC OD 2 posted, built like Dreadman asked (TS808 specs)? I tried to keep an eye out, but did not see any.
    Not that I've seen. I've only built one of those, and Mudcat has it... :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

FULLTONE OCD

I have tested so many od pedals and I was looking for that uncoloured sound that is perfectly controlable with the guitars volume poti. No pedal came close to my idea until I found the OCD was perfect.

The OCD is such a versatile pedal, it delivers transparent overdrive, it gives your cleans that little extra to make them sound great, the OCD also delivers great distortion sounds, not modern metal sounds, but very very creamy classic sounds, plus you have two modes among which you can chose, which is a great feature.

I always wished to have "total control" with the guitar's volume poti and the OCD offered that to me better than any other pedal I have ever played.

:
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Paul Crowther's Double Hot Cake - the best overdrive i've ever heard.

I set pedal A to a smooth singin' overdrive, B is set to a sparkling, slightly driven cleansound and A into B gives a cutting leadsound.

I like the OCD but prefer it for more distorted sounds Ã* la Foo Fighters.

pes_laul Guest

I used to have a DOD something overdrive that was pretty much the balls but it's not with us today :s but now I really like the bad monkey or maybe a big muff (does that count?)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast