Thread: MXR Classic Overdrive

Post Thanks / Like

Default MXR Classic Overdrive

So for decades I have been a guitar, cable, amp player and totally happy with it. That's why I'm so confused when I find myself buying pedals and putting pedal boards together and dare I say, liking it? I was reading the other days a few posts at several places about an MXR Classic Overdrive that was apparently done up just for Guitar Center. I saw guys say they got them for $29 but I found it for $39 at my nearest GC. Well guess what? It sounds pretty good!
    Like I said I'm not pedal aficionado but I did start putting a board together last year thinking I was getting a trio together. I got a nice used Fulltone Full Drive II and a Fulltone OCD for boosts along with several other pedals for other effects. They both sound great, no doubt, but they are a tad pricey. And this $39 pedal is no slouch when compared to the pricey stuff, I was pretty impressed.
    What I find with it is that any change you make to your amp settings may require a tweak or two to the pedal. The settings are totally dependent on how your amp and guitar are set. But I find that true with any effect and even any amp. Everything affects every thing else. If you're plugged straight in to your amp with no pedals and you turn your amp down a notch or two, you'll probably need to bring the bass up a notch, and vice versa ~ That kind of thing. You'll need to tweak the pedal in a similar way.
    Anyway, just rambling here ~ 'Just wanted to give a heads up for a cool boost pedal for cheap $$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good gear that is priced for the frugal minded is always worth learning about.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I got one. Dunno if you know, but there is an internal switch that you can change that will give it a fatter sound. You have to take the pedal board out and look on the opposite site, but it's quite obvious. It's a great sounding pedal but flipping that switch makes it SUPER!
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!