Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Post Gig thoughts and Pics

Thread: Post Gig thoughts and Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Post Gig thoughts and Pics

Did two gigs this weekend (my first with my new Band - 'The Lemons'), Huge contrast between the two, the first on Saturday was a paid gig in a local pub, I wasn't happy with either my playing or my sound. The pub was maybe half full and there was only a few people really listening to us. Those that listened said it was great and we got some good feedback at the end. But it is tough playing to a crowd where you know a lot of them couldn't care less. The gig last night was a whole different ball game, it was a tribute night for the bands former guitarist who passed away a couple of years ago. There were 5 bands playing and we went on last. By the time we went on there was a great crowd and they were really appreciative and supportive. We did about 40 mins and had to go back on for an encore, it was a real buzz to play in that atmosphere.

I've learned lots more about playing live, it really is a different ball game and requires quite a different approach. When I sit down at home to play I always focus on the subtleties and nuances of both my playing and my tone but when playing to a crowd that kinda goes out the window to some extent. Every venue is different and my amp sounds different depending on the floors/walls in the venue, the size of the room etc. You get maybe 20mins to make the best of what you got and get a usable tone balanced with the drums and vocals. It's then all about getting the songs across to the audience as best you can, I think Joe Bonamassa said once that one of his strengths as a guitarist is covering up his weaknesses and this is kinda how I've been approaching playing out.

A couple of key things that I learned about my equipment
    - leave some air around the back of your amp, for the first gig I had my amp sitting on a seat which had a foam bottom and back. I think it absorbed some of the bass frequencies coz my tone was really treble heavy. I rectified this last night and sounded much better.
    - Abalone fret markers on rosewood finger boards disappear in low light - not sure how I can get around this as I love my strat to death but I was having real problems see where I was on the neck.

Anyway it's both hard work and a lot of fun, here's a couple of pics from last nights gig (....oh and I need to learn to look up some more).

- Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Way to go, looks like you had fun! I know what you mean about the fret markers - I've had that happen too and it's terrible when you cannot see them. I never knew I needed them that much until I couldn't see them!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Cool pics.

Looks a mite cramped though.
    Indeed, it's actually a big bar but they had us squashed in the corner. With 5 bands playing there was gear eveywhere.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds fun! Thanks for the report and pics.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Good observations, Lev.

Playing live is indeed an entirely different beast - a lot of variables that will keep you thinking on your feet and working it out on the fly. As you've seen, it's tough to get fired up when the room is indifferent, but such is life when you play gigs. Not all of them will set your hair on fire.

I live to perform live. When it all comes together, it's an experience and rush that few people will experience.................an evening of living and thriving on the edge.

May you slay at every gig you play................:
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.