Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
The long awaited GAS attack!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The long awaited GAS attack!

Post Thanks / Like

Default The long awaited GAS attack!

Well, I knew this day was coming, but now that it's here I'm a twisted knot of indecision....

The new Epiphone Blues Custom amps are in at Musician's Friend....

Now, I need another amp like I need a hole in my head, but this amp has had me panting since I first saw the specs on it.

So now the question is...what goes so that this can come in <OR> how do I bring another amp into the house without my wife thinking I've totally lost my mind.......and she may be right for thinking it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Well, I knew this day was coming,
    So now the question is...what goes so that this can come in <OR> how do I bring another amp into the house without my wife thinking I've totally lost my mind.......and she may be right for thinking it!
    Well Blooz, we all knew it was coming too. It's just part of belonging to the Fret.

From my perspective...nothing has to go before you get your new amph. You must first acquire it, then compare it to the ones you already have before you decide which one to get rid of. This process may take up to 5 years after which time the questions from your wife about the amph will cease altogether and you can live peacefully with all of them and play at will whichever one you desire. Or if you make up your mind to release one amph earlier and do so then your wife will be less tempted to get that new velvet painting for the livingroom, you know the one with the dogs playing poker.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Well Blooz, we all knew it was coming too. It's just part of belonging to the Fret.

From my perspective...nothing has to go before you get your new amph. You must first acquire it, then compare it to the ones you already have before you decide which one to get rid of. This process may take up to 5 years after which time the questions from your wife about the amph will cease altogether and you can live peacefully with all of them and play at will whichever one you desire. Or if you make up your mind to release one amph earlier and do so then your wife will be less tempted to get that new velvet painting for the livingroom, you know the one with the dogs playing poker.
    OK, I 'll try that...

"But Honey, Spudman sez it was ok for me to buy the new amp and evaluate it for 5-years before I decide If I want to keep it or get rid of another one...ok?"

And she would say;

"And just who is this Spudman?"

I of course, not wanting to disclose your Super Hero undercover identity, would just simply have to say, "never mind", and just find another closet to hide the amp in.

BTW: If my wife ever brought home a velvet painting of any kind, she'd ask me herself if I'd have her committed. Hmmm...if I bring the velvet painting home and convince her that she did it, she'll be so distraught that she'll never even notice the new amp....oh yeah, that'll work.

Post Thanks / Like

Do what I did, I had my wife open the case to see my EC strat when it came in and hanging off the tuning peg was a nice new Emerald necklace for her. Treat her like a throughbred and she wont be a nag.

Post Thanks / Like

The new Epiphone Blues Custom amps are in at Musician's Friend....
    BC, I think it's pretty clear that you have a moral obligation to your pals here at The Fret to buy the Blues Custom and post a comprehensive review here. I'm sure that when you explain this to the little woman, any objection she might have had will instantly evaporate! Oh, by the way, one of those winged pigs just flew by my office window here again....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Do what I did, I had my wife open the case to see my EC strat when it came in and hanging off the tuning peg was a nice new Emerald necklace for her. Treat her like a throughbred and she wont be a nag.
    She's already a thoroughbred....

It's just that her excesses come in smaller packages and don't take over the second bedroom like mine. That's her only real objection, and some of my stuff is a little big.

Moral obligation you say, Duhvoodooman? Well just send some of those "winged BBQ ribs" down this way...I'll have the shotgun ready...

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to tell us your impression of this amp once you try it! I am very interested to hear.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote: It's just that her excesses come in smaller packages and don't take over the second bedroom like mine. That's her only real objection, and some of my stuff is a little big.

Dang man sounds like my house !! At least Im not alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Be sure to tell us your impression of this amp once you try it! I am very interested to hear.
    OK, I'm on the spot now. The whole fret.net is counting on me....

I just want everyone to know what a hardship this is for me....

Post Thanks / Like

....and hanging off the tuning peg was a nice new Emerald necklace for her.
    Hey, Mark! How about those of us with emerald necklace tastes and rhinestone checking accounts??
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Its the thought that counts. Actually my guitar came a week before her birthday so I just gave it to her early. Id be in the poor house if I got her jewelery everytime I had GAS.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the dye is cast....

Looks like I'm going to be one of the first to try out the new Epiphone Blues Custom 30. It should be here later this week.

Musician's Friend is evil, I tell you. I just enter my e-mail address and my password and they magically display all of my ordering information. With a simple click of the mouse, they've got me again. Sorcerers....

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'm on the spot now. The whole fret.net is counting on me....

I just want everyone to know what a hardship this is for me....
    Thanks man. You are a real trooper going to the trenches for all of us fretters. Your shrine shall be big and prominent. Oh, if you get kicked out of the house I have an extra bedroom for you in the Les Paul wing of my house.

Don't forget to bring the amph.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer Spudman, but I think the work commute might be a tad long...

So, last night I went into the second bedroom, know more affectionately as "The Music Room" (by me, anyway), and went to work straightening things up. Who knew there was so much spare space in that room? There's easily enough room to absorb another amp with barely a ripple to the space time continuum (women are acutely sensitive to such distubances it seems...). My wife looked on in bemused silence, not knowing that there was a particular and specific method to my apparently frenzied madness. She's happy that the room is straightened out (and can even accomodate quests once again), and I have successfully prepared the safe house for the stealthy arrival of my latest purchase.

Six months from now, my wife may notice the new amp and in her usual way say; "I don't remember seeing this amp before. Is it new?"

And I will answer in my usual way: "This amp? Oh, I've had this for a while."

This by the way is the same conversation, we have when she displays a new pair of shoes...only in reverse. It's sort of a veiled acknowledgement of each others excesses, without upsetting the harmonious balance that makes for a happy marriage.

And so it goes...

As an aside; Who says that the gods of music no longer look down upon
    we mere mortals from their lofty purchase atop Mt. Olympus? It just so happens that one of my wife's co-workers is here from DC, and will be staying at our home this week. He was a former high school music teacher in another life. Talk about the gathering of like minded allies at a critical juncture in time. For the next few days, the acceptable norms of the Bloozcat residence will be under the influences of the gods of music. And let no one speak ill of musicians and their necessary equipment while in this state of musical Kismet. Kinda like a Pax Musicana for the week (sorry for mixing Greek, Roman, and Hindu metaphors, for those who noticed... ).

(And now for the disclaimer: This post was created soley for the amusement of the readers. Any resemblence to any characters, real or fictional, is purely coincidental. No animals (or wives) were hurt in the creation of this post )

Post Thanks / Like

Six months from now, my wife may notice the new amp and in her usual way say; "I don't remember seeing this amp before. Is it new?"

And I will answer in my usual way: "This amp? Oh, I've had this for a while."
    Oh my gosh! This happens here too. Way, way too funny. I do exactly the same thing.

Listen up fretters, this is how you pull off your acquisitions. The pros have spoken. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

This is crazy. I think all women think a like. They must have one universal cosmic consciousness.

My wife uses the same time of pressure on me when I acquire new equipment. Yes, she uses the infamous “I don't remember seeing this amp before. Is it new?" She will also use the quick question of “Where did this come from?” Of course my reply is “Why dear, I have had it for a while. You’re not as observant as you use to be. You must have a lot on your mind lately”. Then I get the evil eye. And I must say that at times the eyes do turn red.

Right now I am looking for the out of production Fender-Cyber Champ like the one Justaguy bought a few months back. I am working on a plan to smuggle it (or its equivalent) in the house when I do come across one. Now that the wife has her own computer which is located in another room she seldom comes into the “Studio”

Bloozcat – It is a Studio not a music room. A Studio sounds so more professional in my opinion. It allows you to say things like; “Dear, I am going to the studio to work on a composition which I am dedicating to you”. Hey, I say go for the heart. It should give you about 30 days of uninterrupted time with your guitars and playing music. At the end of 30 days play her a chord progression and ask how she likes “her” song so far?

Fretters unite!
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on Blooze if there was a little cloud over your wifes head like in the cartoons, her seeing you cleaning. It would have to read ..Hmmm he's cleaning the music room?......He bought something I just know it ......OOOO they are having that clothing sale this week..he will never notice another dress or two! Whoo hoo shop till I drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Come on Blooze if there was a little cloud over your wifes head like in the cartoons, her seeing you cleaning. It would have to read ..Hmmm he's cleaning the music room?......He bought something I just know it ......OOOO they are having that clothing sale this week..he will never notice another dress or two! Whoo hoo shop till I drop.
    Actually, she's been bugging me a little about having stuff all over the room every time I do some light repairs, or fool with my guitars. What was really fortuitous was the timing of our arriving house guest. It was the perfect cover for my little scheme. Soooo, it looked for all intents and purposes like I was making room for our guest. Like I said, Kismet...serendipity...whatever. Besides, my wife isn't one of those women who's suspicious about something like this, and she doesn't see things like this as items on a score card. She's not a tit-for-tat kind of woman. The truth be told, she really wouldn't care about the amp if she saw it coming in the door. All she cares about is that it isn't making the room unusable as a bed room. But that doesn't make for a good story, now does it?

“Why dear, I have had it for a while. You’re not as observant as you use to be. You must have a lot on your mind lately”. Then I get the evil eye. And I must say that at times the eyes do turn red.

Oh, Tim, Tim, Tim....

Never challenge them when you're trying to get something by them! That's like the Matador and the bull...and you know how a bull reacts when challenged by a red flag...
    Think of it as dancing. They actually enjoy it when you lead them. So the goal is to become not just a good dancer, but a great one...figuratively speaking that is...

I'm refraining from calling the bedroom the music room for now. Instead, I'm lobbying for a stand alone workshop behind the house. Our home is on a large enough lot in our neighborhood that allows us to build an "in-laws" apartment with the blessing of the homeowners association. So, knowing that such an addition to the house will result in added value that is greater than the cost of building, it was an easy sell to my wife.

But that's a story better left for the open mic area, as I've digressed too much from the topic at hand...the new amp.

Post Thanks / Like

While waiting for the amp to arrive, I thought I'd e-mail Eminence about these Lady Luck speakers. They're a new model with no data out there. here's my e-mail to them:

Greetings,

I have just purchased an Epiphone Blues Custom 30 amplifier which came with 2-12" Eminence Lady Luck speakers. As this is not a cataloged item, I can find no information on these speakers.

Can you please give me a little info on these speakers? Are they the same as, or similar to, any speakers currently in the Eminence line? Or perhaps they are the same as, or similar to some OEM speakers that you currently provide to other companies?

Any information regarding the specs and voicing of these speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Regards,

Keith

Here’s Eminence’s response:

Hi Keith,

Thank you for your inquiry. Eminence and Epiphone engineers collaborated to develop the Lady Luck speaker specifically for the new line of Epiphone Amplifiers. The development and testing of this speaker has been in process for about two years. The speaker is a 16 ohm model and is rated for 70 watts RMS. Each speaker sports a custom Epiphone/Eminence finish in Mustard Yellow along with the Lady Luck label on the back. The speaker has a stamped steel frame, a
    front rear sealing gasket, a 34 oz magnet, 1.75" voice coil, a full paper cone with paper edge, and a cloth dust cap. This speaker has a sensitivity of 99dB and a useable frequency range from 80Hz-5kHz. It has a very smooth response from the low-end through the mid range. It also has a very nice top end sparkle.

The speaker was engineered to exhibit very warm, and smooth break-up modes. The tonality of the amp is such that very little tonal coloration from the speaker was desired. Consequently, the speaker was engineered to provide a subtle, yet effective compliment to the amplifier.

Regards,

Anthony Lucas
    Sr. Lab Technician
    Eminence Speaker LLC
    anthony.lucas@eminence.com
    (502)845-5622 ext. 341

Kind of hard to know what to make of this reply. The efficiency of the speaker isn't all that great, meaning it won't be as loud as it could be. The tonal range sounds like it's kind of flat, with no pronounced character.

This speaker is definitely different than any other on the Eminence website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast