Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fender Champion 600

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Champion 600

My Champ 600, just came in!

It's not too loud to crank during the day. Much quiter and less gain than an Epi VJ, from what I hear. I've never played a VJ.

I live in a townhouse & play in the basement.

So far, I really like the sound. On the low input when dimed it is just into grind territory, but it can be pushed into either a fuller or more saturated sound with my Twin Tube Classic or my Bad Monkey (or both!).

It is rich and bright, but not too bright.

My other amp is an AD30VT and I am used to controlling gain and tone via the amps knobs. With the 600 I crank the amp and use the guitars volume and tone to acheive what I want. Since it has a nice high end, you can easily get darker tones by rolling back the tone knob.

The sucker is teeny, tiny and is easy to cart around.

Mine buzzes a bit when plugged into the low input and quite a lot when plugged into the high input.

It was clear from the way it was packaged that it was previously returned by another customer.

I've bought some nice tubes to try, but I am waiting to decide whether I want to exchange it & see if I get one with less buzz.

Are there any safety precautions I should observe when I replace the 12AX7 or the 6V6?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you like your new amp. Sounds like a sweet deal.
    Safety.... shut the amp off and unplug it.
    Let the amp cool down so the tubes don't burn your fingers.
    Work the tubes back and forth gently to get them out.
    Pay attention to the pin alignment on the 12ax7 as you're removing it, so you can put it back properly.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    Glad to hear you like your new amp. Sounds like a sweet deal.
    Safety.... shut the amp off and unplug it.
    Let the amp cool down so the tubes don't burn your fingers.
    Work the tubes back and forth gently to get them out.
    Pay attention to the pin alignment on the 12ax7 as you're removing it, so you can put it back properly.
    So nothing other than what I thought. Thanks Oldguy!

Yeah, its a lot of fun. I like it more each time I play it.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

What size speaker is that thing?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

stopped by guitar center last night to try one and they were out of stock....said they can't keep them in stock

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    What size speaker is that thing?
    6 wee tiny itsy bitsy inches.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    6 wee tiny itsy bitsy inches.
    Is that all? Mmmm too small for me. I hope you're enjoying it though congrats.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Is that all? Mmmm too small for me. I hope you're enjoying it though congrats.

Not me. I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. I LOVE the sound of the 6V6 tube pushed to slight breakup. They resonate at a different frequency than an EL-84, it's a g-o-o-d sound.
    Heck, you could always run it through a 2x12 (or bigger) cab if you wanted.
    Or run it through a Hotplate and use the line out into a bigger amp or PA system. Yep, I think I might...
    I need one, no..... I want one...... hey, it's a Fender..... yep.....
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't sound boxy to me and the bass is there in a balanced way.

It doesn't have a deep full shake the timbers bottom.

The volume is perfect for what i use it for & it sounds really nice at low volumes.

So far, I mainly use the low input and push it with pedals if I want full saturation.

The Twin Tube Classic works great for this.

I'm still trying to decide if it is worth exchanging it in an attempt to get one with less buzz.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I've decided to keep it. I love the little sucker. I've been trying several NOS tubes in it. Well worth the money.

Here's a heads up for all those that want to change the 12AX7 preamp tube.

The metal casing is glued on. Just wiggle it for O, say 15-20 minutes, & it'll twist off.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool tOt. Does it sound as decent as this one? If so I know what I want for Christmas.

I love that shimmer. Way better sounding than a Valve Jr. It sounds great with that Tele. In terms of volume tOt just how loud can it get? Enough to freak you out if you played power chords on it? I loved that sound on the vid and it manages to sound very Fendery.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to try one of these things. All the clips ive found have impressed and I love that snappy fender tone, been really living on the tweed settings on my AD30 and toneport of late - Ive found them the warmest and most versatile for my 2 electrics (and my 2 ears). The champ seems to be just what Ive been looking for. Might have to sell the Vox though, for space and domestic harmony reasons.........
    Guitars Gordon Smith GS1.5-40, Peavey Generation EXP, Ovation Celebrity electro

Amps Behringer GM110

Effects Danelectro Blue Paisley pure drive, Danelectro Cool Cat CD1 Distortion, Danelectro Black Paisley liquid metal, Danelectro Cool Cat chorus(original 18v model), Danelectro Dan Echo delay, Line 6 Toneport GX,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Cool tOt. Does it sound as decent as this one? If so I know what I want for Christmas.

I love that shimmer. Way better sounding than a Valve Jr. It sounds great with that Tele. In terms of volume tOt just how loud can it get? Enough to freak you out if you played power chords on it? I loved that sound on the vid and it manages to sound very Fendery.
    I missed this post of yours Tone.

Yup, mine does that shimmering thing. I sometimes just stand there grinning after I play a passage & let the shimmer wash over me.

The 6in speaker might not be to your liking, but as far as I'm concerned that's one of it's features. You can get the power tubes cooking at a lower volume than with an 8 or 12 inch speaker.

As far as freaking you out with power chords, I don't know what it takes to do that to you .
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Oooh, nice. I spent all of my Blues Jr. amp money on building a new computer (my other one was six years old) since Fender raised the price on the thing almost 25% at the end of last year and Guitar Center went to fixed pricing (not a good combination). But THIS...this sounds good, little enough to let loose a bit in the house, and I might be able to save up for this a little easier...

...provided Fender doesn't crank the price on this one, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Danzego, if it helps, just keep telling yourself "It's so much cheaper than a vintage champ, in fact compared to those these are a total bargain..."

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, I finally pulled the trigger on one of these babies. I got a 10% off anything coupon on the back of the latest Guitar Center catalog and I received a promotional $25 gift card in the mail from them the other day for this past weekend (buying that US Strat Standard apparently made me a "preferred customer").

They let me stack those two deals, so that made the amp $155. An offer I couldn't refuse. :

It sounds great, btw. Anyone considering it, definitely stop by your local store and try one out. Cranking it up does give a nice snap, but it's definitely going to take a pedal to get some hair going. Now I just have to figure out which pedal I want to do that with.

Oh, and what do you guys mean when you say "shimmer"? I've heard this many times from people referring to tube amps, but this being my first true tube amp (not a hybrid, like my Vox AVT50), I don't know what I'm listening for. Hints? Clues?

Post Thanks / Like

tot,

Did you return the Champ or keep it? What tubes have you tried?

My Champ 600, just came in!

It's not too loud to crank during the day. Much quiter and less gain than an Epi VJ, from what I hear. I've never played a VJ.
    The EL84 as in the VJ is a high gain tube, it doesn't take much signal to turn it on full blast. The 6V6 is lower gain and I believe the tone network in the Champ 600 cuts down the gain even further.

Are there any safety precautions I should observe when I replace the 12AX7 or the 6V6?
    Just wait till they are cool enough to handle, and make sure they are seated firmly into the sockets. Oh yeah, make sure the amp is off when you change them.

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    tot,

Did you return the Champ or keep it? What tubes have you tried?

tung
    I kept it.

I've got an NOS RCA blackplate Triple Mica 5751 as the preamp tube & a NOS RCA JAN 6V6GT/VT107A power tube.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I just stumbled across this demo and he's using the new Squier Classic Vibe Tele too.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast