Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 Tube Amp: thoughts?

Thread: Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 Tube Amp: thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Peavey ValveKing Royal 8 Tube Amp: thoughts?

Anyhow, I can pick this up locally:

I've pretty much decided it's a no-risk purchase and that I'ma do it. But I always love to hear y'all knuckleheads' thoughts.

Ta in advance lads.
    Last edited by Brian Krashpad; July 31st, 2009 at 07:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey Royal 8

The Peavey Royal 8 has some pretty stellar reviews IF you're using the amp for blues, jazz or 70's rock. Supposed to be pedal friendly.Not an amp for metal-heads. However, as a blues style amp, it's supposed to be really good. MV, tone and gain are the knobs I think. The only detriment is it has an 8" stock speaker that some complain about rather vociferously.

I almost pulled the trigger on one and still might if I have to have a tube amp.
    For $100 and as a "bedroom" amp, it's hard to beat, even if the speaker isn't all that great. Let us know what you think of it.

As an aside, I'm waiting to see how the Vox AC4TV does in reviews. It has the same tube set-up as the Peavey Royal 8 but a 10" Celestion speaker (and therefore a prime candidate for a Ragin' Cajun) that is supposed to be very good. Attenuator from 4W to 1W to 1/4W.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Specs:

True Class A amp
    EL84/6BQ5 output tube
    12AX7/ECCC83 preamp tube with no negative feedback in the power amp
    Five watts into 8 ohms
    Gain and master volume
    Tone control
    8" speaker
    High- and low-gain inputs

Here's Peavey's little propaganda short on it:

Last edited by Brian Krashpad; July 31st, 2009 at 07:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds pretty good actually...but it's going to be hard making yourself deaf with that teenie little amph.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That sounds pretty good actually...but it's going to be hard making yourself deaf with that teenie little amph.
    Naw, I'll just stand closer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Naw, I'll just stand closer.

Good thinking.:

I really am surprised how good it sounds though.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one as soon as it came in stock at my dealer, 2 years ago. I loved it. Especially because it has a headphone jack and I need to keep the noise level down (as in 'none') to keep my spouse from throwing sharp objects at me (understandable). I also used the phone jack to go DI to my board/recorder. You may find that a useful plus...jack it into a more powerful and bigger cab'd SS amp like it's a tube preamp.

You should like it, especially 'stealing it' for c-note. The Hi- & Lo inputs...one meant for buckers, one meant for single coils....really make a difference...you'll want to experiment with your various guitars to find what reacts best with what pups.

But I traded it back to get my Tech21 barely a month later. My dealer still has one hanging around. If I had some spare bucks, I'd cut a deal and get it back. If I were to play it aloud more, I'd change the speaker or rig it to go to a cab like you're thinkin'; the stock one really is a cheapo Chinese honker.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey Royal 8

Sounds great. Stellar reviews pretty much all across the board on Harmony Central for it too.