Thread: What kind of nut should I get?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of nut should I get?

I want to replace the cheap plastic nuts on my Squier Tele and '51 - what kind should I get? Those graphtech nuts seem nice since they are precut. I don't have any nut files, but maybe I should get some.

Suggestions appreciated!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I´ve heard that rolling nuts is supposed to be quite good, even for non tremolo guitars.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Brass nut! (just because Yngwie uses one and it looks cool, also they say it sustains nicely ) If you can't find a brass nut anywhere get a bone nut

Post Thanks / Like

Graph Tech. Sustain + ease of installation + economic (like $12 ea) = 100 times better than plastic.

To cut your own you will likely need a set of guages to measure the depth of the cut, as well as a set of nut files to cut the slots.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you buy yours, T-Ross? I wonder where I should buy these things. If I can buy from somewhere in Canada, all the better.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I just took my guitar into a local tech and he installed it for me, as well as set the action, intonation etc. $12 on the bill for the nut and $20 for a set up - pretty cheap.

Toyed with the idea of buying a few on line just to have on hand in case I ever buy an SX guitar
    Last edited by t_ross33; July 30th, 2006 at 04:20 PM.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was just looking through google and I found this site-http://www.dguitarparts.com/nuts.htm
    They seem to have quite a few slotted nuts, even brass you should check it out Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

I put bone nuts on my Squiers and they seem alright. What I noticed is the sound became a little bit "more." That's the best I can describe it. You can cut your own bone nuts by visiting your local butcher shop and getting some bone. Use a small saw to cut what you need and see what you think.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I get my pre-cut Graph-Tech nuts from Stew-Mac. Here's the link to them:

Graph-Tech precut nuts

They are only $6.53/ea USD and should install without any cutting or sanding. You may need to file down the width if you have a narrow neck, but besides that these are a breeze to install and are very affordable.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, our drummer is a meat manager, so maybe I'll ask him about some cow bone or something!

Cranium, thanks for that link, looks like they've got lots of good stuff there, plus the take PayPal, perfect.

Tremoloman, stewmac don't take PayPal, I'd prefer that.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll put in a vote for graphite. I have one on my ESP that's 12 years old, and is only now starting to stick a *little* bit. I've been told not to use a brass nut, as it tends to make the guitar sound tinny. However, I have metal nuts on my Floyd equipped guitars, and have found that not to be the case with those.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40