Thread: New pups time!!

pes_laul Guest

Default New pups time!!

Well for my birthday we decided to add on to my Ibanez some more. This time it's new pickups.

I know I wanna get a GFS pair but I'm not sure which one.

I'm looking for something really hard sounding but can still get good clean sounds.

any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

GFS do make some nice pickups, depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could have a look at some of Mick Brierley's pickups:

http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au/

A set of a humbuckers would cost $250AUD, which is the equivalent of about $180USD I think.

Either way, let us know which set you decide upon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pickups

GFS are pickups I sometmes buy and find them to be okay; however, every time I have used the more expensive Seymour Duncans I have found them to be way better built and sound way better as well.

Great pickups are generally, in my experience, worth the extra money, but I will probably still get some GFS ones when I think they make sense. Then I will wish I spent the extra money on some real good pickups.

Duffy

Post Thanks / Like

The only GFS pup I'm familiar with is the Retrotron Hot Nashville bridge pup I'd put in my LP copy. Lots of clarity is all I remember.

Maybe a set of C22s from Carvin? They are sweet.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

pes_laul Guest

Though the thing is GFS are pretty much the only thing I can get because I don't have the wallet for some dimarzios or something.

But this is the one I'm thinking about http://store.guitarfetish.com/veviexhoblbr.html

Post Thanks / Like

Those look very nice mate. Let us know what you decide on...and we'll eventually need some clips! :P

Post Thanks / Like

That'd be an interesting one to try. EVH tended to go with lower output/PAF pickups to maintain clarity with higher gain. George Lynch went the same route when designing his Screamin' Demon. If you need extra "oomph" an overdrive pedal can provide that.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Those look good Kris. I've had 2 sets of GFS's and liked them both. See if you can get ahold of Mrmudcat. He's the GFS expert.
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange