Thread: Steak your claim . . .

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Steak your claim . . .

So how many of us Fretters can attest to this same statement? I went to ___________ the other night and ordered a steak, and they over-cooked it. Sadly, this happens far too often, and speaks of the general malaise and disrespect given the steak by today's supposed restaurant professionals.

Case and point - I went to Ruby Tuesday's last week (yes, the dreaded chain restaurant - mistake # 1), and ordered a steak entree'. I asked that the steak be prepared "medium", which to my knowledge has a pink center, and a thin, brown outer edge. Well, as you might have guessed, it came back well-done. I mean not even close. I pointed this out to my server, who asked me if I wanted to send it back, a thought which did cross my mind - since it was so obvious that the cook put forth such little effort in even trying to cook the steak properly. Since I wasn't of the mindset to wait another (20) minutes to eat, I just asked that my next tall beer be on the house - a request that was promptly filled.

In high school, I worked in a pizza restaurant, so I did have some conception of preparation / cooking techniques. Two of my good friends worked at family restaurants - Mr. Steak & Ceasar's Centurion (pre-Royal Fork buffet-style place), and both of these guys knew how to cook a steak properly. Like any teenager, fast-food was always easily accessible, and due to our continually-changing schedules, it was often the only option. But I can honestly say that working in a fast-food type restaurant really made me appreciate a good, home-cooked meal - especially a steak on the grill. Of course, having a severe "jones" for steak, I continually picked the brains of my two friends on the best ways to prepare different cuts. They were always happy to share their knowledge, and commented often that preparing and cooking a steak was "an art" - which is, without question, an absolute fact.

I still remember one of the first meals I cooked myself at my very first apartment. I'd just rec'd my very first "real job" paycheck, and had went out shopping that Sat. morning to gather a few key supplies. The *NEW* (at the time) Zeppelin box set; a case of my favorite beer; and then to Menard's for big purchase - a little Weber Smokey Joe charcoal grill ($19.99); along with a bag of Kingsford, lighter fluid, and a nice, wood-handled, stainless steel grilling set. Next - it was off to my local supermarket (Larson's Super Value - best meat dept. in town) to select a fantastic ribeye, along with some choice sides (tates, veggie). I went home, lit the coals, and readied myself for a perfect meal. Sliced, skin-on potatoes with butter, pepper and rosemary; steamed asparagus with homemade hollandaise sauce, and the coup de' gras - a thick, beautifully marbled rib-eye. For me, the perfect medium is approximately 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per / side, over gray-ish coals (the same, or slightly less on a gas grill).

Cooking a steak is a ritualistic, but very rewarding experince. The "ssssssssssssss" as the meat first hits the grill grate; the smoky aroma wafting in the vicinity of the grill as the fat drips on the coals (enhanced further by the simultaneous enjoyment of an icy cold, carbonated, hop-flavored beverage); the black lines and brown-ish color of meat that you see after the first flip; and of course, the anticipation of incredible flavor that you soon will be soon be savoring.

The meal, of course, was incredible. But the thing that made it even better was that I knew how to properly prepare it, thanks to my steak-savvy friends, and their expert knowledge of the craft. It's a skill that has benefited me up to present day, and one that I take great pride in having. Dan, Scott G. - you guys rule.

So, what am I saying here? 1.) There's a very slim chance that you'll get a properly cooked steak at a chain restaurant; 2.) You can always get a better steak at your local supermarket; and 3.) The rewards of knowing how to properly cook a steak are many - not only from the flavor / texture stand-point, but also from the personal satisfaction you get from doing it yourself - and doing it right!

Here's a few steak links for my fellow guitar-playing epicureans:

http://www.fiestabbq.com/kitchen/chart.html
    http://www.ezinearticles.com/?How-to...teak&id=129884
    http://www.txbeef.org/cooking_methods.php3#grilling
    Last edited by Nelskie; July 30th, 2006 at 08:23 AM.