Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
PRS guitars - Lost their appeal? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PRS guitars - Lost their appeal?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker

Call it vanity, but I will never play a PRS. My mind equates them with all of the talentless morons that played them and droned on with the "solos are wanking" ( I suck but I'm in a magazine) mantra.
    Did the talentless morons have a decent guitar to not wank on?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see PRS guitars as being washed up. They are still one of the first choices for any professional player who needs humbuckers for their sound. And, contrary to Gibsons, PRS guitars have NEVER had any ups or downs in quality.

The Mira as well as the affortable SE series (I've got one), are very well positioned in the marketplace. I don't care much for flashy carved tops and the like, let alone bird inlays, but I can understand the appeal for some people.

I'd take a PRS over a similarly priced Gibson anyday. YMMV and most probably will.
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

A guy I worked with for a while had a couple of the high-end PRS's and I got to play two of them. They were both gorgeous and the build quality was obviously excellent, but neither excited me from a playing standpoint. Don't know what was missing, exactly--just didn't seem to have much personality, for lack of a better term. Interestingly, he rarely played them either....mostly because he was a LP guy (and owned 10 of 'em, all Gibbies ). If I was going to pay over $1000 for a solid-body electric guitar, it would be that Carvin Cali Carved-Top that's been mentioned here a couple of times. The high-end PRS's just seem too expensive to me....as do Gibson Les Paul's in general.

That said, I've read consistently excellent things about the SE series. I see the prices have gone up some, but most still seem to street in the $500 - $700 range. Not cheap, but certainly reasonable in today's market for a good instrument. Though Asian-made like so many other brands offer in cheaper guitars, there are certainly significant differences based upon materials, mfg. processes, workmanship, inspection, set-up, etc. People who own the SE guitars generally seem very, very pleased with them, so PRS seems to be playing the Asian-made product game very effectively.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That denim Modern Eagle II sure is sexy, but it's also six grand.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    That denim Modern Eagle II sure is sexy, but it's also six grand.
    I find six grand sexier.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked it until I saw the back shot of the neck heel..........
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I liked it until I saw the back shot of the neck heel..........
    Y'know, I've heard that rant about the PRS neck heel before...(for the record, I think Ed Roman is largely FOS and mostly interested in selling his own line of guitars to people who don't know what they're looking at or for, but I digress)...and I don't really understand the fuss.

I've had three PRSs - a Custom 22, a Single Cut and a CE24. I ultimately didn't like the Wide Fat neck on the Custom 22 and Single Cut and the lack of a second volume control on the the CE24, that's why they moved on. BUT, I've never had an issue with the neck heel.

Sure it could be all nice and smoothed out and that might be better, but I've never really noticed it as I play. One of the reason I got the CE24 was to get a 24-fret neck, so I do play up there on a regular basis. On the flip side, I have an ESP with a very smooth neck heel, but it wasn't a major selling point for me.

As a player and owner of a wide range of guitars, with all kinds of neck/body connections, it just seems to me like the Grand PRS Neck Heel Controversy is a non-issue that one well-known curmudgeon put out in the marketplace to diss a competitive manufacturer. You may feel differently, of course, but it hasn't kept PRS from selling a lot of instruments to everyday players like me and to others who can pretty much afford any guitar they want.
    Q: How many guitars is enough?
    A: Just one more...

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find the neck heel a problem either. I don't even notice it unless I look at the back. It does look odd but it is a non issue as far as I am concerned.
    It seems that I read or heard that they extended the heel because of a lack of tone in a certain frequency range or something like that and that it added to the sustain.

M29

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't yet played a PRS that has much appeal, but then again, I haven't played very many of these. Must be some good ones in the lot if you know in which pile to look.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fab4
    Y'know, I've heard that rant about the PRS neck heel before...(for the record, I think Ed Roman is largely FOS and mostly interested in selling his own line of guitars to people who don't know what they're looking at or for, but I digress)...and I don't really understand the fuss.

I've had three PRSs - a Custom 22, a Single Cut and a CE24. I ultimately didn't like the Wide Fat neck on the Custom 22 and Single Cut and the lack of a second volume control on the the CE24, that's why they moved on. BUT, I've never had an issue with the neck heel.

Sure it could be all nice and smoothed out and that might be better, but I've never really noticed it as I play. One of the reason I got the CE24 was to get a 24-fret neck, so I do play up there on a regular basis. On the flip side, I have an ESP with a very smooth neck heel, but it wasn't a major selling point for me.

As a player and owner of a wide range of guitars, with all kinds of neck/body connections, it just seems to me like the Grand PRS Neck Heel Controversy is a non-issue that one well-known curmudgeon put out in the marketplace to diss a competitive manufacturer. You may feel differently, of course, but it hasn't kept PRS from selling a lot of instruments to everyday players like me and to others who can pretty much afford any guitar they want.

I didn't consider it a rant..........it may play great....I didn't know there was a "Grand PRS Neck Heel Controversy"........I'm not affiliated with Ed Roman in any way..........I'm glad you can afford pretty much any guitar you want.......and if that's the instrument that speaks to you, I applaud you for owning it and playing it........but personally...........I just think it's ugly.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I didn't consider it a rant..........it may play great....I didn't know there was a "Grand PRS Neck Heel Controversy"........I'm not affiliated with Ed Roman in any way..........I'm glad you can afford pretty much any guitar you want.......and if that's the instrument that speaks to you, I applaud you for owning it and playing it........but personally...........I just think it's ugly.
    I didn't mean to imply that YOU were ranting. I first heard of the neck heel thing on Ed Roman's website in the "Rants" section on his website, so it is eternally a "rant" in my mind, and in other places on the web beyond this forum it has turned into a bona fide rant......I think it plays great but that's just me, you may feel differently (as I said)......see "Rants" above......I didn't think or mean to suggest that you are affiliated with Ed Roman. I only mentioned him because that's where I first heard about the PRS neck heel change......I said I was an everyday player and that "others" who can afford any guitar they want choose PRS - Al DiMeola, Carlos Santana and David Grissom come to my mind as examples.....what speaks to me may not speak to you. That's part of the fun......beauty, as always, is in the eye of the beholder.

To each his or her own and more power to ya!
    Q: How many guitars is enough?
    A: Just one more...

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough!
    And as I said earlier, I would love to own one someday.............
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Here's one reason,awhile back I thought I'd try one of those SX strats from Rondo It was a custom one (CB has one too) anyway it came in a sweet case and it felt good to me,well I had it set up fret level ect.Blocked the trem.and put 11's on it cause its a fret shorter scale and man this is a great guitar pup's too I'm not gunna change em they sound great and all this for about 235.00.It hard to pay 3000 to 6000 when 250.00 work's and sounds as good and I have a higher end strat and a custom warmoth this guitar's as good if not better.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

It's the flamy finishes that put me off especially the blue ones for some reason. I really like the mahogany SE soapbars, they're great no nonsense rock 'n' roll guitars.

If you want the tonal versatility of a PRS Custom with the feel of a strat, here's a diagram for the PRS 5-way setup on a blade switch.

http://deaf-eddie.net/drawings/dbl-fat-prs.jpg
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo
    Here's one reason,awhile back I thought I'd try one of those SX strats from Rondo It was a custom one (CB has one too) anyway it came in a sweet case and it felt good to me,well I had it set up fret level ect.Blocked the trem.and put 11's on it cause its a fret shorter scale and man this is a great guitar pup's too I'm not gunna change em they sound great and all this for about 235.00.It hard to pay 3000 to 6000 when 250.00 work's and sounds as good and I have a higher end strat and a custom warmoth this guitar's as good if not better.Sumi
    on my list, Sumi. need new pups in her.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Hey that is cool markb thanks:

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    I don't think they are washed up. They aren't the company they started out as. The guitars are beautiful. They have made some choices in terms of design that I don't care for. I know this is an Ed Roman complaint but it's legit. The neck heel is inexcusable. There's no reason it should be as big as it is. The hardware has also gone downhill. The original bridge they used was by Manne but now they use a much cheaper unit. My all time favorite PRS was the EG series from the early 90's. It was handmade in the US and was cheap. They were great guitars. They still make great guitars but many companies are building superior guitars that far undercut PRS prices. You aren't going to find them in the Musicians Friend catalog. Google luthiers in your area. You'll find someone who builds a quality product that costs way less that the equivalent PRS and you won't look like every other guitar player on the block. There is no reason that these threads should be taken so personally. It shouldn't be a crime for people to express their opinion. We're all here to have fun and further our playing.
    I agree with most of that.I like the tuners a lot and actually I haven't had any trouble with the bridge.I'm sure I couldn't hear any difference anyway.I like individual height adjustment saddles.It stays in tune with normal whammy use...all in all it's well made, nice looking, and sounds good (to me).If I had to find something to dislike I guess I'd have to agree about the heel. It reminds me of a Rickenbacker.
    I wasn't challenging you, just asking.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Have you checked out these guitars made in your own backyard,now id spend $3500-4000 on one of those voodoo custom
    No I haven't. I am aware of them, though.Good point. There's also a guy near here, Gerard Melancon in Thibodeaux, who builds excellent guitars.Really nice ones that I have seen and played.He's probably got a website.I honestly don't know.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey brother(Rx) not sure your into tats I am.but check out a lifetime childhood friend of mine cameron sweet(my youngest boy was named after him!) Cant wait to get back to norleans one day .....Katrina almost took him and the rest of the place but he survived and he has flown up here to see me since( but ive not witnessed the wreakage firsthand down there) If ya need a shrimp he will put it on ya at:

http://www.electricladyland.net/

Peace brother!

Sorry to stray from the debate but potato/taters ,tomatoes /tom'atoes............yada yada ............:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Hey brother(Rx) not sure your into tats I am.but check out a lifetime childhood friend of mine cameron sweet(my youngest boy was named after him!) Cant wait to get back to norleans one day .....Katrina almost took him and the rest of the place but he survived and he has flown up here to see me since( but ive not witnessed the wreakage firsthand down there) If ya need a shrimp he will put it on ya at:

http://www.electricladyland.net/

Peace brother!

Sorry to stray from the debate but potato/taters ,tomatoes /tom'atoes............yada yada ............:
    I know exactly where that is.I got one I'd like covered...it's old and faded...Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast