Thread: Question- using backing tracks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question- using backing tracks

I see some links to sites here that have free backing tracks. This looks like a great way to practice, but I have a question. Is it OK to play along to a backing track of a particular song, record it, and post it here if it's not one of Robert's (or one of our own)? Example.. the bass, drum and keyboard backing track to "Stormy Monday". Thanks for the help.
    Glenn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well...copyright issues can be difficult. Let me get back to you in a little bit on this question.
    Last edited by Robert; July 30th, 2006 at 02:42 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Robert.
    I noticed after I had downloaded some tracks that when you point the mouse cursor at the track icon, without clicking it, some will show the artist, year, album track number, etc., and some won't. Others will show all the above as "backing track" and/or "none". Still others are "home-made" but follow the song quite faithfully with the exception of no guitar on the song, of course. And all say "no" beside the "protected" line. I didn't mean to open a can of worms here, I just didn't want to post something you would have to turn around and delete. Too big of a waste of time, and at MY age time can't be wasted . Heck, I don't even buy green bananas!
    Glenn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that it would be OK to use a backing track if it were for illustrative/educational purposes and not for commercial purposes.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Robert!
    Illustrative and educational it is! (and shall be).
    Commercial? No way! I'd probably have to pay most people to listen to ME play anyhow!
    Seriously, I just want to help those with less experience than myself and learn from those with more. Share and care.
    Peace and good luck.
    Glenn