Thread: Epiphone AJ-500RE

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Epiphone AJ-500RE

The Epiphone AJ-500RE received a good review and Editor's pick in this month's GP mag. They run about $699 street price. As anyone that reads my posts about acoustics knows, I want a rosewood/spruce dread, and my benchmark has always been the Martin HD-28. Has anyone tried this guitar or have any info/knowledge/thoughts to share? I know it will not sound just like a Martin, but it looks like it might be a pretty nice rig in its own right. I have never seen one of these in a store.

http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=117
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I found this vid (of the AJ-500R), but it and a few like it on youtube are the only things I am finding with clips. Just curious if anyone has seen one.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sun,
    When I play my acoustic-electric Takamine through my Zoom pedal it can sound like Gibson, Martin 28 or D12 and many more. The effects are easy to change.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sun,
    The vid in this thread is mine. It is an AJ-500RE..Advanced Jumbo, Rosewood back and sides..not laminated, E for electric. I recorded the guitar unplugged, this has the LR Baggs pick up system in it. I have had many guitars in the past and this is by far my favorite acoustic. The sound is even across the board with a projection that you wouldnt believe. Very nice and responsive instrument. It sounds equally well plugged into my Genz-Benz Shenendoah 100. You can check out more of the guitar on youtube under scottyscott66..you cant go wrong with this guitar. I have heard some bad things about the shadow nano pick up on the new models though. Check out the Carvins..I bought my son a mohagony 750t and it really is a nice guitar with a very nice price tag to boot.
    Last edited by scottyscott66; April 26th, 2009 at 09:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks scottyscott for taking time to post. And welcome! I hope you find some things around here you like and stick around. I really liked your vid too. Nice demo and playing!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice picking and nice sounding box there!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1
    Nice picking and nice sounding box there!
    Agreed! Very nice
    bigG

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded Cherry Mahogany, Peavey HP Signature EXP, Epi Sheraton II, Fender Standard Fat Strat, original 1982 Made in the USA Fender Bullet (w original HSC)/ 2005 Martin HD-7 Roger McGuinn Signature Edition (#102 of 250), Martin M-36 (0000), Martin OM-21, Martin 000-15M, Hohner EL-SP Plus Parlor acoustic

Amps: Swart Space Tone 6V6se, Swart Night Light Power Attenuator/compressor/stereo line-out, Peavey Windsor Studio, Vox AD50VT, Fender Super Champ XD, Vox DA15, Marshall MG10KK, '83 Peavey Bandit 65

Pedals: Cry Baby 535q wah, Bad Monkey OD, Boss DS-1, Sabine FuzzStortion, HardWire RV-7 Reverb

www.swartamps.com
    www.ericjosephelectricguitars.com

Carpe diem, brother, cause you don't know how many diems you have left to carpe.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice guitar but since your tastes are for prewar style 28 dreads, have a look at the Blueridge or Recording King rosewood boxes. Below is a spec comparison from the ever useful Maury's Music. Scroll down for the '28 and equivalent. You'll find some more details elsewhere on the site.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Nice guitar but since your tastes are for prewar style 28 dreads, have a look at the Blueridge or Recording King rosewood boxes. Below is a spec comparison from the ever useful Maury's Music. Scroll down for the '28 and equivalent. You'll find some more details elsewhere on the site.

http://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin
    Those look interesting Mark. I will have to check some out if I can find one. They are in a decent price range when I get ready. Thanks for turning me on to them.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for good words guy's..the blueridge guitars are pretty nice..played a couple in the past, a little high on the action for my taste though..they do sound good. Check out Carvins line of acoustics, dont let the price fool you, very nice guitars with good craftsmanship. Action is beautiful right out of the case. The Epi's are a tricky bunch..dont buy one with out playing it first, no two sound or feel the same. I played dozens of guitars before I settled on the Masterbuilt..felt right and had the projection and tone I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I am looking again. No more pedals or other accessories, etc. for me until I save for an upgraded acoustic. I found some deals on used Martin D-16RGTs/DSRs/Custom D-15s. (all rosewood/spruce), but I was also directed by a local musician to Blueridge guitars again. The BR 160 A with an adirondack top looks nice. http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1530927/m/BR160AvsD-28marquis.wmv

I will have to save a while, and it sure would be nice to play the guitar I purchase in a store, A/B ing it with others, but it looks like I can get what I am after for under a grand, maybe well under.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

As I've mentioned in other threads, check out Godin's acoustics - best bang for the buck out there, IMO. And not dipped in poly!