Thread: Found (actually re-found) some cool song lessons

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Found (actually re-found) some cool song lessons

This site (guitarnoise), and this guy David Hodge, lay out some nice easy and more intermediate song lessons. I found it when I was trying to improve how I wa trying to play "Old Man" by Neil Young. The lesson is here:

http://www.guitarnoise.com/lesson/old-man/

He gives some written music, some clips of how it sounds, and good explanation. On "Old Man" it is his own interpretation, and is not identical to how I observe Neil playing it in old vids or to the "Harvest" sheet music I have, but he gives some different ways to approach the song, and explains well some rhythm peculiarities about the intro, some ways to strum and/or arpegiate it, and encourages you to improvise or tweak it from there. It looks to me that there are a lot of good lessons for other songs too. I give him : : for taking the time to construct and post such nice lessons!
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; April 25th, 2009 at 10:36 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I forgot all about this site. I remember using it early on and after looking at it again, realize it is still a handy site to still use.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the link - that site looks to have some really interesting lessons about particular songs. I'll have to investigate it some more and see how I do following his lead - so to speak :

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sun!
    I pick a moon dog.