Thread: Tuning up your bass?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tuning up your bass?

I bought a Rickenbacker 4003s/5 when I was younger. I have forgotten the year.

I have never really even touched the rod, replaced anything in the bass, and kept the same strings on it. The strings are getting "our of shape", so I went and got a set of Ernie Ball Light gauged strings (40-105). I put them on, but the bass now sounds like it has been in a guitar shop untouched during winter. I like the sound, but the E tuner knob is really loose.

So to my question now, how do I tune up my bass guitar? With all my others, I took it in to my friend, who has worked on Guitars his entire life.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

If those are the open gear tuners I don't know how to tighten anything other than the shim nut that goes around the tuning shaft. Anybody else have an idea?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    If those are the open gear tuners I don't know how to tighten anything other than the shim nut that goes around the tuning shaft. Anybody else have an idea?
    Everything is fine there. The nut is tight.

If you want, I can make a video on how it sounds, so you know what it exactly sounds like and what the shaft does.

Post Thanks / Like

which part of the machine head is loose? if its the turnkey part, then it can be fixed by tightening the screw that goes down the middle of it, if its the whole machinehead thats loose, there are a few screws that should hold it in place.

open up the mechanism casing and check it out.
    Guitars: Ibanez RG420EG, Harrier Mistral Ice White Tele
    Amps: Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 15R (w/ 8" Celestion), Marshall Valvestate Mk.I 8100 Head, Blackheart BH5H Head
    Cabs: Marshall 4x12 (4 x Celestion Pro 12")
    FX:Line 6 Floor POD, BOSS 7-band GE-7, BOSS Mega Distortion MD-2, Vox V847a Reissue Wah, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive

Just another Rig Sig Jig, Dig?